Re: Almost back in business

Well I think the overheating problem is solved.  I took the car out for a drive today and the temp stayed down where it always has previously.  Maybe even a little lower due to the fact that it is only about 25* here today.
Wish I could point to one thing as the source of the problem however I changed two variables at the same time.  I put the original 180* stat back in and I drilled an 1/8" hole in it to help with a possible air lock.  I think the new 160* stat was the problem.  As I noted before the opening was only 3/4" in dia.  The original 180* stat has a 1" dia. opening.  If you do the math that comes out to .785 sq. in' for the 1" dia. opening and .441 sq. in. for the 3/4" opening.  So almost twice as large on the 180* stat.
I have had the coolant drained from that engine countless times over the 9 years I've had it and I've never experienced an airlock before so I'm going with the new thermostat as the source of the problem.  Something new did crop up today while I was driving though.  My heater fan started squealing.  But since my heater core is blocked off at least I can shut it off.  And maybe warmer weather will cure it anyway.
I also took Jim's advice and double checked the timing it is @ 13* - 15* at idle and @ 32* all in.

Paul L.