Re: Mopar Performance electronic distributor puling

Can we go back to the basics for a minute?   Ricky can you clarify on your worrisome statement about the reluctor not being parallel?  It sounds to me like your reluctor is not properly seated in the distributor.  I am taking it that you meant all gaps the same as you spin it, as you checked each lobe to the reluctor and the gap stayed the same?  OK that eliminates a possible bent/jammed shaft.  Please clarify what you meant about not parallel.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 5/22/2015 7:41:52 AM
Subject: Mopar Performance electronic distributor puling

Installed a new Mopar Performance electronic distributor last night.  Starts and idles fine but going down the road while holding steady throttle, the engine pulses up and down every few seconds.  Almost like you are giving it more and less throttle.  The amp meter is also erratic now.

Per the instructions the blue wire is connected to the ballast resister ignition feed side.  Black wire to neg side of coil.  And timing to 5 BTDC per the instructions.

I did notice the reluctor and pick-up are not parallel for the .008 gap.  All the same gaps as you spin it, and I did set the closest point to .008.

Any ideas what the problem is?   Is there another vacuum advance type distributor to consider for electronic ignition?  Pertronix makes one I see that is an all-in-one unit, any other makers for 318 Poly?

I put the original point distributor back on for now, and it runs fine.

Thanks,

Ric