Re: How best to raise back end?

I agree with Herb  100%--Do not do extended shackles.  Bach in the raised rear days, guys would do the shackles route and  that would result in the shocks being fully extended to the limit --next thing would be springs that were straight or arched down.  If you have strong upper shock mount, the adjustable spring over shocks  would probably work. .................................MO

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Herb <zephyr9900@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All long shackles will do is exacerbate your springs demise quickly.  Stay away from them, probably the reason they are hard to find, I'm sure.  Re-arch or replace are the best & safest options for your spring issue.  I have had good luck having my springs rebuilt and others on here not so much.

There are other options such as air shocks or air bags but all they do is cover up the problem.  Air shocks have been the cause of many a broken shock mount because the shock mounts were never designed to carry the weight of the car, just the shock.  But both are viable options if that is the path you want to take, but both were designed to assist the spring in caring excess weight not to replace the springs job.

Again stay away from long shackles.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 6/21/2015 11:38:38 PM
Subject: How best to raise back end?

My '62 Sport Fury sits low in the back end by at least 2-3 inches, I'm assuming because the leaf springs might be worn out?  We are thinking about getting leaf springs re-arc'd (there is a guy in Great Falls MT that does it), or perhaps putting on a longer rear spring shackle.  I looked on-line for a longer shackle but didn't immediately see one.  Any thoughts on where a guy could get a longer shackle, or whether it's better to have springs re-arc'd?  Thanks - Wade