Re: Disc brake swap.

The scarebird deal is good and AAJ also works well at a bit more expense. I've used each.  With each you can buy the basic conversion pieces and they include a list of the rotors, calipers, hoses, bearing etc you need which are commonly sourced parts and you buy them through rock auto or napa or wherever you want just like you will have to do no matter how you proceed. For example the AAJ kit for my '65 Imperial with 5.5 inch bolt pattern uses Furd F100 pickup truck rotors, which will probably be stocked at stores until the end of time.

On Sep 15, 2016, at 12:52 AM, Cory Rempel <Cory_383@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey Dave Casey.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned "my budget".  My budget is pretty low right now.  I'm actually getting ready to maybe sell it some time next year, but I want to drive it a little bit before the snow comes and a little bit in spring.  It's basically been sitting the past two or three years.  And I'm becoming way too crippled to do ANY work on my own car.  Seriously, if it weren't for my buddy doing most if not all the work on it, I likely would've sold it like two years ago.

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Dave Casey <dcasey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: September 14, 2016 8:03 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Disc brake swap.

Most of the people who are replying about Volare stuff are thinking B-body, which your Polara is not.

The 68 New Yorker has the same front suspension as your 65 Polara, and the spindles will bolt on. There may be two different sized ball joints between the two cars, and some quick research on RockAuto should clear that up. Worst case is you may have to take the control arms from the New Yorker too. Whether or not using the New Yorker brakes is a good option depends on whether or not you can get the wear items - calipers, rotors, hoses, and pads, for a reasonable price.

The AAJ kit lets you use cheaply available rotors and calipers on your original drum brake spindles, so it's less work to install (no fighting the torsion bars if you do it right), and you can get brand new calipers from Wilwood that will work with the AAJ kit if you want something fancier than old rebuilt GM calipers.

If you can find a 73-ish C-body in the junk yard, you can swap those brakes on and the wear items MIGHT be cheaper than those for the 68. You need to do the math on the various options and see which one works best for your budget and your plans. Regardless of which setup you choose, you will definitely need to replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve.

I have yet to decide how I'm going to get bigger brakes, but it's probably going to involve grafting a Wilwood B-body kit on to the C-body spindles. I don't expect it to be as cheap as the above options.

ANY of these options are better than driving around on drum brakes.

Dave Casey