Re: Cleaning a Gas Tank

I recently cleaned out a 65 Belvedere tank for use in my 65 Coronet. A mouse had died in the tank while in storage so I started by adding a stiff mix of Spartan Green cleaner and sealing up the tank. Every time I walked by I picked it up and shook it around. The following day I dumped it and went at it with a pressure washer. After through drying I coated the inside with Damon Red Coat sealer. Worked out fine for me. I would use a short length of chain to dislodge rust and solids as it will come out easily.
Mike

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 6:33 PM, Jason Rhoades <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Larry.
I struggled with this when restoring old farm equipment.   Below are processes I have used with succes. Albeit they may be a tad unusual.

1- if dry.  Throw several handfuls of gravel in and cap off openings.,  strap tank to large wheel  (tractor if poosible)  jack said wheel off ground and put vehicle in gear so as to act like a clothes dryer sorta.  Let spin. Checking occasionally.

2-  pour in bunch of vinegar,   let set.  I then used a power washer with a sewer jetter tip and flushed junk out. The more it flops around the more crap came out!

3-  and I mean worst case!!!!!   Threw tank on a hot bed of coals.  And let get good and hot.  That dried out the old ethanol gas crap!!!  You know the tar crap from etha pl fuels of today.  Then went to step 1.
Improvise as needed!

Good luck
Jason

From: 'Larry Ashbaugh' via The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to1965mopars@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 5:24:51 PM
To: mml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 1962to1965mopars@googlegroups.com; Alienvoice@xxxxxxx
Subject: Cleaning a Gas Tank

I have a couple cars that have sat for a couple years, including my 64 Barracuda.  The gas in it is rusty and has flakes in it.  I opted to replace the tank, sending unit, rubber "donut" seal into the tank and the rubber shield between the tank and floor.  Cost was little over a hundred dollars, so not bad.  The other car is my only non-Mopar car, a 73 Triumph TR-6, and the tank for that is somewhere in the $500-600 range,obscene, and just short of unobtanium prices for new reproductions.  Used ones have the same scale as mine, so I am thinking of cleaning and maybe sealing the current tank.

My plan would be to use gravel to loosen up the old rust (the old, shake, not stirred process), followed by a good dose of Muriatic Acid.  If anyone has used this method, and if so, what concentration of acid did you use?  What to look out for?

Also, if anyone has used any of the gas tank sealing products, I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on what worked or did not work for you (who to consider and who to avoid).

Sorry for the non-Mopar specific question, but I have other Mopars waiting in the wings (mainly 57-59 Coronets) that will need the same process and the small TR-6 tank might be a good learning tool, as I am sure that Forward Look Mopar gas tanks are not falling from the trees these days.

Thanks,

Larry (Akron)