Re: 65 Fury 727 trans

Michael so your saying this transmission has two external cables ,, on up front to shift and on on the rear for the parking paw ?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 9:05 PM Michael LeFevre <493mike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mark,
I believe you are seeing the park pawl housing. It should have a cable entering the left side which is locked in by a special bolt w/ nut that is perpendicular to the cable. Loosen up the nut and tap on the nut end to move (unlock) release the cable. There is also a pipe plug which has to be removed to insert a small screw driver to pry on the spring retainer holding the inner portion of the cable to the pawl link. A picture would be great at this point but I don't have any of my FSMs handy.
Mike

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 8:56 PM Mark Stinson <americanoffgriddreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Seams some of you know the little differences in the early 727 and later models . I have a question , I am familiar with the newer ones and have built a few but I have a 65 727 and it has some sort of valve body outside the oil pan under the rear tail housing , its missing a plug and looks damaged . What is it , can it be bypassed and of not does anyone have one I can get ?  I am helping a friend with a 65 Chrysler 300 4dr ht repair .  Thanks :)

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM Jason Rhoades <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes a 65 and old 727. Uses a smaller input shaft. Same number of splines.  My suggestion is to tear the transmission out. And update the front pump and input shaft with parts from a 66 and newer transmission.    Ideally a 68 or newer.  Hunt down a transmission from motorhome wich would also have 4 pinion planetarys in it.  Just my suggestions
Jason

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Bill M <y1topbanana73@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:43:26 PM
To: 62-65 Mopar List
Subject: Re: 65 Fury 727 trans

Hi Herb,

I'm a little confused as to exactly what your question is...sorry.

If you are asking for a converter recommendation, then more info would be needed (gear ratio, carb, car weight, tire height, camshaft, rpm range, etc., etc., etc...). If you talk to a good converter shop they will ask you questions about your entire combination and help you narrow things down. I used Dynamic Converters in Newark, DE (302) 454-9203 and have been very pleased with mine.

You are correct. The number of splines on the input shaft of a 65 727 trans is different than a later 727 trans. The later converters appear to slide on but will not properly engage the pump which can trash the trans. Make sure you are getting a converter for a 65 727. Up to 1965 has a cable shift and the old style converter (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). 1966 started the lever shift style and the later style of converters. The converters are not exchangeable between earlier and later years

I've got a 392 ci Poly stroker that dyno'd @ 405 HP & 472 TQ. I ended up with a 3,000 rpm stall, but keep in mind that my converter would likely stall higher behind your motor, and differently behind another motor. That's whay it's important to talk to the experts that build and design these things for a living. I swear they are partially filled with voodoo!

Bill M
65 Coronet 500 'vert http://goo.gl/6xUS1
73 Dart Sport, 05 Ram 2500 CTD, 4WD, QC, LB, Laramie
14 Avenger R/T, 15 Durango R/T, 21 Model T Depot Hack