The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

newbie needs help with 56 brake system
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

boatmonkey82
Posted 2009-03-15 7:10 PM (#167113)
Subject: newbie needs help with 56 brake system

New User

ok here it is , and dont hate me too bad ! i have a 56 new yorker 4 door with a potent 383 chevy in it , i know , the car came to me with the conversion already done , but the car is in near perfect condition very minor rust spots ,like 2 total . now that i have some power what can i do for front brakes , no way am i going to run drums on the front . also what rear end did these cars come with ? and does anyone need the original push button shifter ? i found a kit to convert the brakes but they want 900-1300 for it and i know i can find some stuff from the local parts shop to work but dont kno where to start
Top of the page Bottom of the page
imopar380
Posted 2009-03-15 9:51 PM (#167127 - in reply to #167113)
Subject: Re: newbie needs help with 56 brake system

Expert 5K+

Presume you mean a 283 Chevy engine, not a 383. Too bad but its there now, BUT if you ever get a chance to swap it for an original 354 Hemi, well no more needs to be said. As for the braking system, AAJ Brakes makes a complete conversion kit designed specifically for our Forward Look Cars, a simple bolt in set that can be installed in about four hours. You can buy just the backing plates and basic items from him and source the other parts locally, or you can buy a full kit from him. Many of the members here, including myself have installed his brake kits. I put a set on my former 1962 Chrysler 300 several years ago, and currently have a set ready to install in my 1960 Chrysler Saratoga hardtop. AAJ web site is http://www.aajbrakes.com/ As for the rear end on these cars, I'm not positive which ones they used, but someone else here will know or you may find more info at http://forwardlook.net/1956Chrysler/ The original brakes aren't really all that bad if you have them set up and adjusted correctly which is where most of the problems lie. I have used the disk conversion kits because my front drums were shot and new ones are not easy to find at reasonable cost. The original braking systems ( and some here would disagree with me )  stop fine in normal circumstances but repeated hard stops can set them fading quickly. These Center-Plane brake systems were pretty much superior to anyone else's brakes a the time. CHIP Highway Patrol cars started using Dodges in 1958 because of the superior brakes compared to the Brand X cars they had been using prior.

Edited by imopar380 2009-03-15 10:09 PM
jsrail
Posted 2009-03-16 2:38 AM (#167141 - in reply to #167127)
Subject: Re: newbie needs help with 56 brake system

Expert

They do have 383 Chevy Crate motors, I believe its stroked 350.

Jay

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)