The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rebuilding motor mounts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2015-12-18 9:38 AM (#498352)
Subject: rebuilding motor mounts

Expert

I recently bought a pair of mounts for my 60 Plymouth with a 318 off ebay. Unfortunately, they are not in the best condition, so I am going to ATTEMPT to rebuild them. Never having done this before, this is my plan.
I was trying to think of a way to make sure the center plate is in the correct position, so my thought is to drill 2 holes completely through while the assembly is whole so once its all cleaned up I can reassemble them with 2 bolts for alignment but I didn't want the bolts left in or it would almost be like a solid mount.
What is the best way to take one apart? If I took a torch to the outer plates, would the rubber melt enough to easily pull away or could I run a sawzall down each inside and the clean off the left over rubber later?
So now they are all cleaned up, I am thinking I would take my Dremel to a peice of all thread, slowly turn it and make 2 cuts almost though. When assembled, each Dremel cut would sit around a 1/4" or so inside the inner side walls of the "U" plate. Start it through a side and start a nut on the inside then push it through the matching hole in the center plate and install another nut then push it through the opposite out side wall. Lightly tighten a nut on both outside walls making sure the Dremel cuts are where i want them. Then slide the center plate on the all thread to where I want it, tighten the inner nuts againt the center plate and it should stay where I want it. With 2 holes, it should be right where I want it. After it is cured, I can simply twist the ends of the all thread and it will break off leaving the studs inside but not close to hitting the outer plates.
I am also going to drill a couple larger holes through the center plate, so the rubber can flow through and help hold the rubber to the center.
To me, this seems like it should work but always looking for a better idea.
One other question, what can I use to form the body when I pour the liquid rubber and how do I keep the rubber from sticking to that form? I have this corregated plastic[like cardboard] that I am thinking of using. Can I spray it with silacone or Pam or maybe line it with wax paper?
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Karl.

(DSCN2773.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN2773.JPG (177KB - 134 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2015-12-18 4:00 PM (#498387 - in reply to #498352)
Subject: Re: rebuilding motor mounts

Expert

I don't think just pouring some generic liquid rubber into a mold will hold up that long under a constant weight/sheer load of the engine.
I would use a modern strong adhesive kit like something used by car companies bonding sheetmetal together.
Perhaps a local paint & bodyshop would have something better.
ttotired
Posted 2015-12-18 4:55 PM (#498396 - in reply to #498352)

Expert 5K+

Karl, the way they rebuild these things is done in a massive press to inject the rubber in at very high pressure to make the rubber super strong, you cant duplicate this at home (I looked into it as well, these "floating power" mounts are stipidily priced = ripoff)

Even for my buick, the mounts for a 59 and up are about 40 bucks, for mine upwards of 120

If its got fins, it costs you more

Bit like if its got ti**, itll cost you as well (I dont think I can say that here )

1960fury
Posted 2015-12-18 5:16 PM (#498401 - in reply to #498396)

Expert 5K+

what michael said. do not even try.
60 dart
Posted 2015-12-18 7:21 PM (#498409 - in reply to #498352)

Expert 5K+

put a 1/2" , grade 8 bolt though the whole thing and be done with it or even better 3/8" . through bolts have been used on em for a long time ---------------------------------later
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2015-12-19 4:18 AM (#498431 - in reply to #498352)

Expert

That's how I 'prepped' motormounts in the past.
Yes some engine vibrations will be transfered to the chassis but with stock engines this won't be too bothersome.

Given the simple design of the mounts, I'm sure a more better solution could easily be fabbed fi by using a control arm bushing and mounting this inside the mount inplace of the rubber.

udoittwo
Posted 2015-12-23 10:42 AM (#498849 - in reply to #498352)
Subject: RE: rebuilding motor mounts

Expert

Thanks for the input.
I think we are talking about 2 different processes and materials. I am still not sure it can't be done. Rubber as you say does require heat and pressure but polyurathane is poured into a mold and hardens. From what I have read it can be cured better by baking at 150 in an oven for 12 hrs. Polyurethane is regularly used for motor mounts and is available in different hardnesses. I already have the stuff, so I need more info before I give up on it. I have urethane 60 which has a hardness of something like tire rubber.
Has anyone here actually tried to do what I am suggesting? I've read several articles of people making motor mounts with poly with apparent[?] success. I just would like some facts before I abandon the whole idea. I've been writing to manufactorers of polyurethane but most require me to be a business and I haven't tried lying to them yet to get an answer.
Thanks again,
Karl.
59 in Calif
Posted 2015-12-23 11:24 AM (#498851 - in reply to #498352)

Elite Veteran

Karl, I sent you an email with a pic, see if that helps. Jerry
target
Posted 2016-02-21 2:50 AM (#504751 - in reply to #498352)

I've had good results using 3M window urethane, like for gluing in windshields. Use a good cleaner, like MEK, or MPK if you can get it. Use gloves if you do. You really have to get all traces of oil off for this to be successful.
Polara61_383
Posted 2016-02-21 1:55 PM (#504781 - in reply to #498352)
Subject: RE: rebuilding motor mounts

Veteran

Sadly I didn't take any pictures. But maybe you can get what I've done to my motor mounts by my crude paint drawing. First I cleaned all the old rubber from the mounts. Then I cut a perfectly round hole into the inner part of the mount and welded a piece of steel tube into it. The inner diameter of the steel tube is exactly the outer diameter of the rubber bushing that holds the front axle of a Trabant P601 (similar to those bushings at the ends of the leaf springs on the rear axle, but darn cheap in germany). I figured if two of those bushings are able to hold the front axle of a small car, the will also hold a big block. Then I inserted said bushing in the steel tube, put some hard rubber mat (I don't remember where I got this...I think it was used to silenced an airconditioning unit) on both ends and tightendend everything with the bolt that holds upt the front axle of the Trabant (I think grade 10.9).
This solutions gives me at least some dampening and it is also reparable using cheap parts that are readily available.

(motormounts.jpg)

(bushing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments motormounts.jpg (65KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments bushing.jpg (5KB - 125 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)