The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Fury Interior
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

60buick
Posted 2005-10-20 12:37 PM (#41999)
Subject: 57 Fury Interior

Veteran

I have a few questions about my 57 Fury.

First does anyone know how to get the padding on the dash redone? The dash is restored but I need to get it padded. If there is a kit available thet would be perfect.

Second how in the world do you get the little gold "dots" reanodized on the dash trim. I have talked to a few companys and they are clueless as to how to reanodize a thousand little dots.

Third does anyone have any 57 Fury interior pics? My seat inserts were recovered with incorrect materials years ago and I can't find good seat pictures to show what they shoul look like. My door panels dash and headlinner are idiot proof but my front seat was missing and the rear was in tatters so having them redone like original will require reference pictures.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
savoyboy
Posted 2005-10-23 9:06 AM (#42120 - in reply to #41999)
Subject: RE: 57 Fury Interior

Extreme Veteran

I'd like to find a way to get those little dots redone too, they look fabulous when new! On the padded dash, there is someone here who sells a kit, I think they are from overseas somewhere. Just Dashes from California does them too. I hope to get mine done someday, but for now I am just using a non-padded dash in my car.
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2005-10-23 11:02 AM (#42122 - in reply to #41999)

Extreme Veteran

Richard,

The gentleman that reproduces the padded dash inserts is Glenn Barratt His e-mail address is: FURY@xtra.co.nz
Send him an e-mail and he can takes care your padded dash needs. Hope this helps.

Dave W.
FURY
Posted 2005-10-24 11:12 PM (#42180 - in reply to #41999)

Elite Veteran

Hi.
Yes I have been making the 57/58 dashpads for about 4 years now. The originals were somehow bonded to the steel of the dash. Over time, the assembly line crap foam dissintegrated, and the vinyl cracked and came apart, therefore there is no way that you can ever remove one from a dash to use as a mould or a pattern-it will come off in a thousand pieces if you try. Mine were made from a good survivor pad, and painstakingly duplicated using trial and error until the mould was an exact duplicate of the original, without removing it from the dash. As I now have the mould, I can produce these to be the same every time. The foam and vinyl is vacuum formed on to the moulded fibreglass, the only way to get around those tight curves of the "bullnose" piece that sticks out by the radio. You can glue them on to the steel of the dash if you like, but you do not need to. They are a "snap" fit, and only require the dash accesories to hold them in place. They can be made in any color.
SMS have the fabric for the interior-an exact match. They have the vinyl too, but has been supplied the wrong color in the past.
I will try and attach a couple of pics or original interiors of 57 Furys for you to look at.
The gold dots are tricky, but not impossible to reproduce. I went to one of those signwriting places that does the (C.A.D.) computer cut vinyl lettering, gave them the circle size and spacing, and they cut me out some pieces of vinyl with pre-cut circles, which becomes your paint mask. Place the vinyl mask carefully over the freshly bright anodised dash piece, so that the circles are over the raised dots. A quick spray of metallic gold paint, pull off the vinyl and you are done.
Glenn.

Edited by FURY 2005-10-24 11:42 PM

(Photo-57 Plymouth Fury interior shots-4.jpg)

(Fury-57-Arne-Interior-rear.jpg)

(Photo-57 Plymouth Fury-interior-duckshooting-email.jpg)

(Dash parts-dots masks.jpg)

(Dash trim-cigar lighter-cropped-email.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Photo-57 Plymouth Fury interior shots-4.jpg (44KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments Fury-57-Arne-Interior-rear.jpg (95KB - 165 downloads)
Attachments Photo-57 Plymouth Fury-interior-duckshooting-email.jpg (5KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments Dash parts-dots masks.jpg (18KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments Dash trim-cigar lighter-cropped-email.jpg (10KB - 118 downloads)
savoyboy
Posted 2005-10-25 8:16 PM (#42210 - in reply to #41999)

Extreme Veteran

Wow, Glenn thats a pretty neat trick with the gold dots! Sound like it would be painstaking work to get that vinyl lined up right, and stuck to the piece properly so that the paint doesn't run. I would like to hear how you did that in a little more detail.
I need to get one of your dashpads for my 57 Belvedere. It's not real high on the priority list because I have so much else to do first and I have a non- padded dash mounted in the car now. But I do need to get one from you. Maybe Santa can bring one! LOL!

Do you have any tips for reproducing the textured paint found on 57 Plymouth dashes?
FURY
Posted 2005-10-26 6:08 PM (#42244 - in reply to #42210)

Elite Veteran

The vinyl with the holes pre-cut has a very sticky back, so there is no problem with it sticking to the part. And it can be repositioned.
You don't actually need that much paint that it would run. Just a few light dustings and the dots are gold.
It is not as hard to line up the dots with the holes as you might think, due to the dots being quite raised. I had a trial and error go on some old parts before I did the real thing. And if you make a mistake, just wipe it off with thinners and then go again.
If you have a non-padded dash, then what you have is a normal dash just missing the padded part.
You do not have to replace the dash-the pad just snaps on to the recess on the right hand side of the dash.
I am just in the middle of completing the 4th run of 57/58 Plymouth dashpads-10 this time.
In the past I have only been able to do them in runs of 10, but a fibreglass former that I was talking to last night has said that he can do them in one-off runs in future.
So just send me an email when you are ready, to FURY@xtra.co.nz
Glenn.
FURY
Posted 2005-10-26 6:42 PM (#42245 - in reply to #42210)

Elite Veteran

That texture on the 57 Plymouth dash paint kept me occupied for a long time. I tried all those textured paints that you buy in a can-Hammerite, Wrinkle-finish, Hammer-tone etc, and they all just did not look like my original textured dash sample at all.
In the end (and after several unnacceptable attempts...), this is how it was done.
Spray an undercoat/primer on real heavy, unthinned and at low pressure.
This makes the paint come out all lumpy. When it is dry, block the tops off the lumps with wet and dry sandpaper.
Apply the color and see how it looks-maybe it will need more blocking or maybe it will need more lumpy primer at this stage.
Once you are satisfied with the texture, and you have a good coverage of color, then apply the clear. Block this back when it is dry and then apply some more clear.
I kept doing this until the surface looked textured (under the clear), but felt smooth to the touch.
Good luck, and don't expect to get it right first time....

(Dash texture-Steve Levene2-email.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dash texture-Steve Levene2-email.jpg (9KB - 112 downloads)
savoyboy
Posted 2005-10-26 8:37 PM (#42251 - in reply to #41999)

Extreme Veteran

One other question about the dots. Do you clear coat the part after the dots are painted? I was wondering because it seems the gold could probably wear off easily, especially around the control knobs and ignition.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is very helpful!
FURY
Posted 2005-10-26 8:51 PM (#42253 - in reply to #42251)

Elite Veteran

I wouldn't clear coat the dash parts, as you would be clear coating onto a bare metal (aluminum in this case), and I believe that the clear coat itself will then come off in time.
Also from my experience, clear coat has a yellow tinge to it, and is not perfectly clear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)