The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Restoring the hood hinge assemblies on a 59 Desoto
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

corky
Posted 2011-02-28 9:13 PM (#262953)
Subject: Restoring the hood hinge assemblies on a 59 Desoto

Regular

I would like to remove, clean and repaint the hood hinge brackets and springs. Since I will be working alone, could someone recommend a procedure to use to restore one side at a time? Do I have to be concerned with spring tension while removing? Any way of marking the assembly prior to removing to assure exact replacement?
Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
61forfun
Posted 2011-03-01 1:16 AM (#262968 - in reply to #262953)
Subject: RE: Restoring the hood hinge assemblies on a 59 Desoto

Extreme Veteran

I did this once before by myself. I don't recommend it, but if you elect to do it...when the hood is open it has less tension on springs as the springs are at their lowest point of stored energy. Use a pencil or scribe and mark the the perimeter of where the hinge bolts to the hood and firewall, so you will know where to put it back after your reconditioning of hinge. I place a heavy blanket between the hood andcowl/firewall topside and over fender. take a prop or two (broomstick or such) and support the front of the hood between radiator and core support ( i used another pad to avoid radiator tank damage), or wherever you can get a good sturdy angle. Carefully unbolt both hood and firewall bolts, leave one in partial on both firewall and hood, just a few threads so you can work loose with your fingers with one hand on hood to ensure you don't get a Christine slam. I was able to remove without damage, but I really do recommend getting a neighborhood kid or someone to help as if somehow you run into a bind, you will be SOL, bent hood and possible paint damage.
corky
Posted 2011-03-01 12:45 PM (#263011 - in reply to #262968)
Subject: RE: Restoring the hood hinge assemblies on a 59 Desoto

Regular

Sam, thanks very much for sharing! I will try to round up some help; 4 hands are better than 2.
Thanks again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)