The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

’56 Plymouth AAJ brake Conversion…Need Reassurance
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

GaryS
Posted 2014-08-25 3:23 PM (#454176)
Subject: ’56 Plymouth AAJ brake Conversion…Need Reassurance

Expert

The instructions to modify the spindles to mount disk brake rotors say to grind the area around the mounting holes enough to clear the rotors. Before jumping in, I measured the amount of material that must be removed and it is approximately .150”-.180”. That will result in removing roughly 1/4 the thickness of the material, which makes me a bit nervous when dealing with suspension parts.
If that is what’s required, I won’t argue with the successful history of this conversion, but I’d like to hear from others who have done it to make sure I don't have something wrong.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sperduton
Posted 2014-08-28 9:30 AM (#454493 - in reply to #454176)
Subject: Re: ’56 Plymouth AAJ brake Conversion…Need Reassurance

Regular

Hmm...Well, I can't tell you as I installed mine back in 2000 on 6 cylinder spindles and don't remember how much I ground off. I will tell you it was one of the best things I did to my car. I've never had a problem with them...
BTW I'm running a proportioning valve from a 77 Volare on mine
GaryS
Posted 2014-08-29 5:58 AM (#454627 - in reply to #454176)

Expert

Thanks for responding. It's somewhat surprising that with the popularity of AAJ conversions that no one else has related their experience, but a thread search didn't turn up anything either.

Yes, I'm impressed with the quality of everything they provided, and from past experience with '55-'56 Plymouths, I know disk brakes would be a welcome addition, so it was a no-brainer when I planned the modifications I would make. I was hoping to get some first hand comments from someone who had converted recently, but I guess I'll just contact AAJ to verify how much material must be removed.

I noticed in in your signature that you are running a later model Poly in your '56. Did you also convert to a 3-speed TorqueFlite? If so, what shifter setup are you using?
sperduton
Posted 2014-08-29 6:18 AM (#454629 - in reply to #454176)

Regular

I think it's more of a case of not that many folks around with the 55/56 models..
Yes I did convert to a 3 speed torqueflite. I have the stock shifter setup..
The trans is from the same 64. It was pushbutton and I hooked it to my stock shifter, you can't manually select low gear, but that was ok with me. The other problem is the torqueflite shifts opposite the powerflite. I don't remember which is which, looking up at the trans, one of them goes r,n,d,1,2 and the other is 2,1,d,n,r
The first thing I did was put tape over the buttons and write the new gears on them and watch what button I pushed...LOL...This is a bit hard to explain. Then for a permenant fix I got an extra 56 shifter mechanism and took them both apart and modified. I'll email you, it's a bit easier to show with a picture.
Beltran
Posted 2014-08-30 9:31 PM (#454771 - in reply to #454176)

Expert

I have done the same conversion on my Chrysler.. the trans / shifter. I want to do the AAJ brakes but I don't know if the 55 Chrysler suspension is the same as the Plymouth / Desoto suspension. All his instructions are with Desoto parts.

Edited by Beltran 2014-08-30 9:32 PM
GaryS
Posted 2014-08-30 10:36 PM (#454779 - in reply to #454176)

Expert

I emailed Roger at AAJ last night and he called me this afternoon. He verified that the estimated dimensions were correct and that no problems have been encountered by removing that much material. Sure can't beat their customer service, and it looks like I can get back to work tapping and grinding.
udoittwo
Posted 2014-08-31 10:52 AM (#454813 - in reply to #454176)
Subject: RE: ’56 Plymouth AAJ brake Conversion…Need Reassurance

Expert

I read your thread but I had nothing to offer. I did the AAJ bake conversion on my 60 Plymouth but it required no modifications.
But I never have been able to get good brakes before or after the conversion. In fact I finally added a proportioning valve on Friday and I am going to post a question on that as soon as I am done here.
Hope yours works as you expect it to.
Karl.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)