The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

update on my AAJ brake problems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

imopar380
Posted 2006-07-21 7:48 PM (#60836)
Subject: update on my AAJ brake problems

Expert 5K+

AS many of you know there was a thread a couple of months ago on the problem I was experiencing with my new AAJ Brakes Disk conversion on the front of my 1962 Chrysler 300-Sport, in that they initially would not lock the wheels when applying the pedal hard. That problem seemed to resolve itself, but I still had an on-going problem with the front brake pads dragging when the car got warmed up which was not initially realized until a couple of weeks later. I adjusted the master cylinder push rod back until the pedal was low and the front pads were still dragging. The most bizzare thing about this all was that when the car was cold the brake pedal would travel a very long way, then when it got warmed up the pedal would come up. And then it would go back down after some more driving, and then come back up again, and so on. And The brakes kept dragging. I unbolted the master cylinder from the booster push rod and they were still dragging. Finally I had a chance to go back to the mechanic last night. He removed the brake line from the front system pot and presto, the brake pads loosened. We discovered that the front system in the master cyl was not compensating - meaning more than likely a faulty master cylinder. The mechanic pulled the master cylinder out, pulled it apart and discovered that the residual valve was installed, from factory- in the rear system instead of the front -and for a front disk brake system the valve must be in the front. So he put it into the front pot and presto, the issue was resolved immediately. NO MORE DRAGGING !!! I have to say it has been a hassle with these brakes and the mechanic who has been a 45 yeat plus Mopar mechanic is still not inpressed with the disk brakes. He prefers his centre plane setup on his 60 Polara over my disk brakes. Any how, now I have the master cylinder push rod adjusted to a comfortable position so that I Have minimal pedal travel without any brake drag, but with time constraints etc it has taken three months to figure this out. I am glad it is finally over with.

Edited by imopar380 2006-07-21 7:56 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrycopsycho
Posted 2006-07-21 10:08 PM (#60848 - in reply to #60836)
Subject: RE: update on my AAJ brake problems

Expert

Ian,

good to see you got things worked out eventually but I would never prefer center plane shoes over discs! I've driven a 59 and 60 plymouth with drums properly set up and its white knuckle driving in modern traffic!

imopar380
Posted 2006-07-22 1:13 AM (#60865 - in reply to #60848)

Expert 5K+

My feeling too, but Ron seems to feel otherwise. He really likes those centreplanes !! He feels the only reason he would ever need front disks would be if he was pulling a trailer, and other than that he feels extremely confident, and says they will take any modern traffic at freeway speeds with no problems, and he has done it. Mind you he keeps them in top shape at all times.

Edited by imopar380 2006-07-22 1:17 AM
57burb
Posted 2006-07-23 11:49 PM (#61047 - in reply to #60865)

Expert

Even in top shape, at modern highway speeds, the factory brakes on these cars are inadequate to effectively stop a 4000lb automobile.

Especially since the cars we share the road with today are 2500lb runts with 12" front and rear disc brakes and modern (wide) radials, driven by people that are just not paying attention. These FL cars are beautiful, but the engineering is 50yrs old. Some of it works for today, some of it doesn't. Gotta be smart about what you keep and what you toss, and how you handle it all.

Just my .02. Be safe out there.
imopar380
Posted 2006-07-25 12:32 AM (#61155 - in reply to #61047)

Expert 5K+

to correct a mistake, I wrote in the first post that the residual valve was installed incorrectly in the rear system - whereas in fact it was incorrectly installed in the front circuit instead of the rear circuit causing build up of pressure in the front. Once removed from the front and installed in the rear it worked properly.

Ian
Johnnee D.
Posted 2006-07-27 5:29 AM (#61342 - in reply to #61155)

Veteran

Hi Ian,

quick question, what wheels do you have on your 300 Sport (H package) now that you've changed to disc brakes? did you keep the original 15 inch?

Thanks

J.
imopar380
Posted 2006-07-27 4:02 PM (#61398 - in reply to #61342)

Expert 5K+

Still have the original 15 inch wheels .

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)