The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1958 DeSoto Firedome
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-01 12:28 PM (#5279)
Subject: 1958 DeSoto Firedome

Extreme Veteran

Here it is. The sinkhole for all discretionary spending through 2008. I'm very excited. The big '58 DeSotos have always been my favorite FL cars.

A few questions...

1. Was there any rhyme or reason to the color of the headlight doors? Most '58 DeSotos I've seen use have an argent (silver) color while a small minority have black.
2. Any suggestions for radial tires if I want to keep original wheelcovers and a somewhat stock appearence?
3. Was the honeycomb grille screen originally plated or painted? I don't have one so I'm totally clueless. I've seen some pictures where the grille was obviously plated but I've seen others where it wasn't so clear.
4. Do most '57-'58 DeSoto owners still use the original rear exhaust ports? Have you ever had a problem with water accumulating in the low spots?

This will be a long term project. I'm ripping some walls down in my garage so I have more room to work. I plan to post some want ads soon (I'm particularly looking for the two stainless trim pieces that make up the tip of the color-spear on the passenger side). The plan is for a restification (original appearence with modern mechanicals). Forwardlook.net has been a huge help and I'm grateful for everyone who has answered my sometimes simplistic questions.

Justin
Metairie, LA

(IMG_0057small.jpg)

(IM000603.JPG)

(IM000602.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0057small.jpg (91KB - 212 downloads)
Attachments IM000603.JPG (38KB - 217 downloads)
Attachments IM000602.JPG (37KB - 194 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-01 2:45 PM (#5284 - in reply to #5279)
Subject: RE: 1958 DeSoto Firedome

Elite Veteran

Good luck in restoring, and much amount of patience too

I suppose that this strange scheme for outside rearview mirrors ( it's always driver's side single or a pair, here we have single on passenger side) is just becouse this mirror is another part You'll require ?
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2004-05-01 2:57 PM (#5285 - in reply to #5279)

Expert

Amazing! The car appears to be a Haze Blue Metallic/White car like mine! What are the odds against that happening?

As my car is a Firesweep and not a Firedome or Fireflite I have no opinions on the senior car line's headlight doors. I have seen cars with argent (silver) and others with black doors, but I do not know which was correct or which color was used more often.

Radial tires can be used with success with the original wheels and wheel covers. I have been running radial tires on my Firesweep for over 20 years. Any competent tire store should be able to tell you the correct radial tire equivalent to the bias ply that was fittedf to the car originally. Coker Tire should be able to tell you this too. They advertise in the hobby magazines a lot, and they are well known for being the source for obsolete tires.

The mesh on my grille was painted "rattle can" black when I bought it, but I suspect it was a repaint, and a rather poor one at that by a prior owner as it flaked off within a year or so after I bought the car. The ones I have seen on other cars look to me as if they are plated.

If it pleases you to use the exhaust ports on the bumper, then why not say I. Be aware though that there was a problem with corrosion of the bumper during service. Probably this was a result of the moisture in the exhaust gases. Many cars were converted to standard below the bumper outlets when replacements became neccessary. I seem to recall that there was even a service bulletin on this by Chrysler at the time.

Good luck on your project.
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-01 3:56 PM (#5287 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

FinFan,

The car has both mirrors. The drivers' side one is sitting in the rear seat. It's in decent shape except the glass has black spotchy marks where reflective coating has come off. Anyone know a good resilverer?

Thanks!
Justin
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-01 3:59 PM (#5289 - in reply to #5279)

Elite Veteran

Well, so it's really REARview mirror
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-01 4:10 PM (#5290 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

58 DESOTOS RULE,

I saw a picture of your Firesweep on your webpage. What a great car! Is that the "Spring Special" trim on it? I knew about the trim stripes on the trunklid. I didn't know it included a rocker panel molding as well. I believe the FireDome is actually a darker blue color. The front half the car is very faded. From certain angles it looks metallic, but from others it doesn't. I need to decode the body tag and look at some paint chips.

Justin
60 Finatic
Posted 2004-05-01 11:32 PM (#5312 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

Good luck with it!
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-02 2:52 AM (#5318 - in reply to #5284)

A few questions...

1. Was there any rhyme or reason to the color of the headlight doors? Most '58 DeSotos I've seen use have an argent (silver) color while a small minority have black.

57 used P&A black or body color. 58 used silver. Lit even acknowledges this as being a "new" feature for 58. How some got to be black or other colors could be collision repair or owner modification ???

2. Any suggestions for radial tires if I want to keep original wheelcovers and a somewhat stock appearence?

I run BFG Silvertowns with a 2.5 WW. Just my opinion, but radials look like crap on old cars. The proportions are all wrong. Too wide and too short. The day someone makes a good radial that cannot be detected from an original (58) tire, and I'll consider making the change. Till then, the difference in performance is worth the stock look.

3. Was the honeycomb grille screen originally plated or painted? I don't have one so I'm totally clueless. I've seen some pictures where the grille was obviously plated but I've seen others where it wasn't so clear.

The mesh is a silver anodized aluminum.

4. Do most '57-'58 DeSoto owners still use the original rear exhaust ports? Have you ever had a problem with water accumulating in the low spots?

The exhaust ports were a great Buck Rogers idea, but hell on the rear end plating. Damn, they look good huffing steam on a cold morning, but they are a real bitch to stuff up through those super tight curves and they rattle and self destruct in short order. I have built original looking tip fillers to give the correct look, but run my duals back as 2.5 inch, then jump to 3 inch from the hump back, turning them down about 3 inches shy of the bumper edge, getting the end down there to catch the wind and get those caustic gasses away from my expensive chrome! The 3 inch pipe at the back really gives the exhaust a deep murmur. Open up those secondaries under load and you have no doubts there is some serious American iron somewhere in the county! Damn, I love my car! I am all about 58 Desotos and have some great lit for reference. Hit me up anytime you want to yack 58

B.
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-02 12:08 PM (#5328 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

Dr. DeSoto,

Thanks for the replies! About the siliver headlight doors, were these painted silver, anodized, or just bare metal?
I too have been looking at the BFG Silvertown radials. Do you use the 70 series or the 75 series? Do you have problems with the tires rubbing the fender wells?
I never thought about the grille being anodized, but now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense. In the old pictures, the grille screen is definitely visible, but not near as shiny as it would have been had it been plated.
I like your exhaust plan. I can imagine the difficulty in fitting together a stock exhaust system; you need an exact fit on both ends. My exhaust system is rotted out so I'm going to have to start from scratch. The actual exhaust ports are still in reasonable shape. However, the vertical 'telescope' pieces behind them are pretty ravaged.

Thanks Again,
Justin

P.S. I hope you can help when I post my 'wanted' items.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-02 2:27 PM (#5336 - in reply to #5279)

Thanks for the replies! About the siliver headlight doors, were these painted silver, anodized, or just bare metal?

I have found these two ways in the field .... the pot metal "bucket" is painted and actually riveted to the chrome plated "ring", or the two are simply held in place by the screws that hold the "ring" to the fender. Many times the paint is toast, but originally they were painted a flat, or low gloss silver.

I too have been looking at the BFG Silvertown radials. Do you use the 70 series or the 75 series? Do you have problems with the tires rubbing the fender wells?

I run 7.60 x 15's on the Kelsey-Hayes wires. These are not radials, but I find they drive just fine. If I wanted a Honda Hotrod, I'd sell my DeSoto and buy one, you know? I want a 50's car and expect it to drive like one. ... and I am a guy who drives my cars across the country, not to shows across town. The bias plys do quite well with the suspension design and weight of car. I don't understand everybody's hot desire to go radial. Afterall, isn't the charm of a 50's car the fact that it is a 50's car ???
I think the 14's leave way too much wheel well showing ... they look too small on a car that size. The K-H wires are stock, look like a million bucks, and give me a 15" wheel to fill that big wheel well a little better. These tires are 10 years old now, but were only one season old when the car was wrecked. I have no rub problems.

I never thought about the grille being anodized, but now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense. In the old pictures, the grille screen is definitely visible, but not near as shiny as it would have been had it been plated.

Anodized aluminum was a "new thing" (and it was all about "new" in the 50's!) and DeSoto had to work a little into the plan somewhere!

I like your exhaust plan. I can imagine the difficulty in fitting together a stock exhaust system; you need an exact fit on both ends. My exhaust system is rotted out so I'm going to have to start from scratch. The actual exhaust ports are still in reasonable shape. However, the vertical 'telescope' pieces behind them are pretty ravaged.

If you ever see an original set up, the factory devised an odd "socket-n-ball" pivot system to bend the already kinky end pipes up through that super tight slot. Road vibration works these fittings loose, the gasses just ate up the whole rear corners of the cars. These car were rusters from day one, the added exhaust design only accelerated the process. Not good from a preservationists point of view!

I am not the parts warehouse I used to be, but drop a line anytime. Who knows, ... maybe I can set you up?

Brent
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2004-05-02 3:36 PM (#5342 - in reply to #5279)

Expert

Thanks for the kind words about my ride. Yes, it is a "Spring Special" model. I don't think it was originally a "Spring Special" as there is some paint on the firewall under the hood that is definitly apple green and it matches the paint that was uncovered when I scratched the white paint on the roof. The man I bought it from mentioned that he had taken it in trade from a young man for a service he had done him, but he didn't say whether it was the young man or he himself that had done the repaint and mounted the special trim. Whatever, the rocker panel moulding was definitly part of the Spring Special trim package and it looks good.

Dr. DeSoto is from the "tastes great" crowd that thinks bias ply tires should be used on our collector cars as that's what they had when they were new. That's fine. You can get bias ply tires with the correct width whitewall from Coker Tire and (probably) the other tire stores too (although I'll bet you'll have to special order them). I on the other hand am part of the "less filling" crowd who appeciates the smoother ride radials can give me and the better handling at speed that they can give. It's no surprise to anyone who drives 50s cars that the handing leaves a lot to be desired. "Boulevard Ride" was the buzz word in the 50s ads to describe how these cars felt as they trundled down the highway; I call it "marshmallow ride". GM was the worst offender in this area; their big-ass Buick Roadmasters and Cadillac 62s were very soft in the suspension.

Good luck on your project. If you're looking for some '58 bits and pieces I may be able to help you out. Let me know.

FinFan
Posted 2004-05-02 3:59 PM (#5344 - in reply to #5279)

Elite Veteran

There was a Spring Special version on DeSoto's ? I didn't knew that, I found only about Dodges.
carjock
Posted 2004-05-02 6:37 PM (#5346 - in reply to #5279)

Account Inactive by Request

I've never heard of a "Spring Special" package for Desotos, either. What features were used to make
a normal Desoto a "Spring Special"?
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-02 7:18 PM (#5348 - in reply to #5279)

I have never located specific literature concerning the Spring Special cars, but gleening anecdotal bits and looking through the parts books, I would suggest it went something like this:

There were a number of "new" colors introduced to the lineup at that time.

Special trim was offered. I have yet to see two Spring Special cars with the same trim on them, so I am guessing it was something of a mix-n-match deal, where a person could order from a list what special trim items they wanted to add to the build sheet.

I am unaware that any stainless rocker trim was available before the 1959 model year cars, but I could be wrong ???

Special trim items included:

1. Sport-tone aluminum inserts (like 58 Plymouth). These are really rare.

2. Deck lid bars. I think there were 5 to each side of the shadow box. They are about 4.5 inches long and a half inch wide, contoured, and mounted vertically.

3. Special interior fabrics and patterns.

Without getting out my books, I think there were 4 Spring colors. This seems to be the most commonly seen "Spring Special" option. Since most original interiors are wasted or long gone, it is hard to say just what that "package" was exactly. I see the deck lid bars on cars from time to time. As often as not on non-Spring colored cars. In 30+ years of looking, I have only encountered 3 cars with Sport Tone side inserts, ... a red Flite 2HT, a white Sweep rag that got the package off another car, and a Spring Rose Sweep 4S.

Nothing hard and definitive, but my guess is that the dealer ordered the cars and gussied them up as they thought would sell. Some got more gussy than others, but all could be called Spring Specials if they got at least some of the new trim.
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-02 8:18 PM (#5350 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

When you do an EBay search for 58 DeSoto, you usually see the same 4 or 5 ads. One of the ads features old-timey actress Jeanne Crain, standing next to a blue Fireflite 2 dr HT. It's a Spring Special. It has the tell-tale hatchmarks on the trunk lid. It also has 3 other pieces of trim that I haven't seen on other '58 Fireflites.

1. A rocker molding
2. Stainless trim along the bottom rear edge of the quarter panel (in line with bumper)
3. A stainless panel of some kind on the C-pillar

There are no current auctions with the ad, but you can still see it if you pull up the completed auctions (Auction #3672685452).

Justin
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2004-05-02 9:40 PM (#5357 - in reply to #5279)

Expert

I couldn't find the ad on eBay as you suggested, but from the description you gave, I believe I already have a copy of this ad. There's a Hollywood starlet touting the advantages of owning a 1958 DeSoto and the car pictured is a dead ringer for mine except it's a Firedome or Fireflite. Same Horizon blue metallic and white paint and the usual "Spring Special" trim items. My brother bought this for me at a literature vendor at one of the car shows we go to.

I have color chip charts for the 1957-59 DeSoto line but unfortuately it doesn't indicate if there was a certain color that was used for the "Spring Special" . Maybe if someone has the salesman's data books from those years or paperwork from the sales department they might be able to shed some more light on what was considered a "Spring Special".
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-02 9:41 PM (#5358 - in reply to #5279)

1. A rocker molding
2. Stainless trim along the bottom rear edge of the quarter panel (in line with bumper)
3. A stainless panel of some kind on the C-pillar

I will have to go look at the ad again. I know the one you are speaking of. I cannot remember ever pulling rocker trim off a car earlier than 59! Maybe my fuzzy brain is slipping again ???? I want to know what that color of body paint was called. It is a dark metallic blue.

2. this one is a standard rear bumper guard, and was available even on 57's. It is chrome plated steel, not stainless.

3. this is standard Fireflite trim. Not seen on lower models, but standard on Fireflites and Adventurers back to 56 or maybe even 55 ?

Brent
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-02 10:21 PM (#5359 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the corrections about the C-pillar panel and rear bumper guard! What originally drew me to the DeSoto was the relatively restrained use of chrome. The car's shape speaks for itself; it doesn't have 300 lbs. of chrome trinkets dangling from it. This is in stark contrast to a number of '58 GM models; I can't imagine the cost of replating a Buick Limited! Still, part of me wants to dress up the car a bit. Maybe I could find a rear bumper guard, or one of the roof molding packages illustrated here: http://www.turbinecar.com/brochures/58Desoto/page10-19.htm When I'm done, I'd like the car to look a bit like this (except in blue).

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58ds18.jpeg (70KB - 208 downloads)
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-02 10:35 PM (#5364 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

Technical problem...here's that picture I wanted to post..

(58ds18.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58ds18.jpg (55KB - 203 downloads)
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-03 1:03 AM (#5369 - in reply to #5279)

Looking at your pic, I see a pretty typically equipped Dome 2HT. Can't make out in the shadow if it has the rear bumper guards, but I would say it looks like it does not. I really need to get out my lit files. The saleman's pocket guide shows all the options, options groups, and prices against which models came with what or could not be equipped so. From the exterior shot, I can see this car has optional rock guards on the rear wheel edge, radio, dual rear antennas, clear glass, and side mount mirrors for both sides. Probably a 2bbl car (361 is a given) and 94.6% chance it has an automatic. I would guess the gears to be 3.23 (non-POSI).

I used to have a whole s-heap of 58 - 60 Buicks. Neat cars, but oh, what a bitch to work on compared to the FL Mopars! I was originally attracted to Mopar by a 57 NY'er coupe I found. The previous owner wanted to drag race it and took all the side trim off the car, folded it over his knee, and stuffed it in a trash can (where it still was when I bought the car! In my hunt for missing parts I came across the 300 club, and this led me to the 57 -58 DeSotos. From there, it was all down hill ! The only gripe I have about 58 DeSoto styling is that I like the 57 color sweep better, for how it creates a giant dart-shaped wedge out of the whole quarter. The 58 is alright, but I like 57 better for that one singular point. A small price to pay for all the things I like so much more about 58!

You have a great car to build there. I obviously agree with you in your "fine" taste in automobiles!

Brent
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-03 4:24 AM (#5375 - in reply to #5279)

Elite Veteran

Devioussquirrel - 2004-05-03 4:21 AM

Thanks for the corrections about the C-pillar panel and rear bumper guard!

Computer burned my eyes so bad, that I never noticed that piece of chrome on C-pillar
By the way - is it me, or there's no any difference with those roof moldings put on ?
As for those bars on deck lid, they look like something similar to Buick Limited's side bars for me..or something from other car...I think I have already seen somewhere such design...and it wasn't a Forward Looker, I think...

Maybe I could find a rear bumper guard, or one of the roof molding packages illustrated here: http://www.turbinecar.com/brochures/58Desoto/page10-19.htm.

Thanks, thanks , thanks, thanks..(a line of not-countable "thankses") for a source of such lovely brochure. I managed to find some GM brochures scans in Web, but expect for Imperial and 1960 Chrysler I didn't had nothing for Forward Look - expect a couple of ads. Now I have

There was a Firesweep convertible ? I never saw such body type in this line.
In the accesories, there is a "usual" electric clock, and the other one for wheel hub...I thought , that it was specific for DeSoto, to have clock, if ordered, in the centre of steering wheel..so You could have had 2 clocks ?
And why would someone need light in the ash tray ?!
Doctor DeSoto - 2004-05-03 7:03 AM

The only gripe I have about 58 DeSoto styling is that I like the 57 color sweep better, for how it creates a giant dart-shaped wedge out of the whole quarter.

I accept both designs - the 1957 one gives extra length, when You look at the car, and 1958 gives extra fin height. As I sometimes try to design cars by myself, I can add, that it's hard to create such curve as '58 had, sweeping trim always looks stupid on my cars.

Edited by FinFan 2004-05-03 4:41 AM
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2004-05-03 7:02 AM (#5377 - in reply to #5279)

Expert

Nice "Fire Engine Red" 'Dome, Devious. We're all hoping to get our rides looking like that.
Fin fan, I don't smoke anymore, but when I did I found the ash tray light very useful when I woukd take my 58 out on a long cruise. I didn't want to get ashes on my floor! I have the optional map/glove box light on my car too and it was handy at times.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-03 10:37 AM (#5386 - in reply to #5279)

Finfan - Sweep got a ragtop added for 58.

I would guess a steering wheel clock was an added option? My car has both clocks, that way the smoker using the ashtray light can see what time it is from the passenger side, right?

(DeSotodash.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DeSotodash.jpg (69KB - 243 downloads)
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-03 10:42 AM (#5387 - in reply to #5279)

The only gripe I have about 58 DeSoto styling is that I like the 57 color sweep better, for how it creates a giant dart-shaped wedge out of the whole quarter.

I accept both designs - the 1957 one gives extra length, when You look at the car, and 1958 gives extra fin height. As I sometimes try to design cars by myself, I can add, that it's hard to create such curve as '58 had, sweeping trim always looks stupid on my cars.

Being somethin of a realist, I am forced to "accept" both designs as well. .... especially since my calls back to DeSoto HQ to *demand* they change back have gone unanswered !
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2004-05-03 7:52 PM (#5404 - in reply to #5279)

Extreme Veteran

I think the 58 DeSotos have a more refined looking front end than the 57's. The grille, hood ornament, and domed windshield really enhance the appearance. It's as if they took the '57 model and polished away some of the rough spots. I have no preference between the two side treatments and actually prefer the smooth oval exhaust ports on the '57. Have any of you guys ever noticed a difference in build quality between the 57's and 58's? I've read that Chrysler engineers scrambled to fix the quality problems after complaints starting coming in on the 57's. In your experience, is there any real improvement?

Of all the '57 and '58 models, I think the only '57 I prefer (appearance-wise) is the Dodge. It's more primitive looking than the '58, but I like its meaner stance.

Justin
62chrysler
Posted 2004-05-03 7:54 PM (#5405 - in reply to #5279)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

Police certified Speedometer? What's that all about? Did I miss something?
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-03 9:00 PM (#5409 - in reply to #5279)

This car has some pretty unusual goodies on it. The 150 Police speedo, did you notice the Forward Look marked traffic light viewer? The Benrus clock is pretty cool too. There is a sign on the dash that reads: Windows are not to be lowered at speeds in excess of 200 mph. ( ! ) I will have to keep that in mind.
Other options include power steering, brakes, seats, and windows, seeker radio with foot actuator, tinted glass, removeable sunvisors, dual mirrors, dual rear antennas, underhood and trunk light, triad horn, Nascar air cleaner, and of course, the K-H wire wheels. I probably even have a lighted change tray (ash tray for us anti-smokers), and I am pretty sure it has a lighted glove box too.

What it does not have that is kind of odd is rock guards (most cars got them) or any other Spring Special trim besides paint color. It was a real late production car. The old fenders had / have funny holes above the trim line (filled with bondo) and I found the chrome half of a fuel injection tag in a the trunk when I got it. Now YOU tell me what that means!

B.
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2004-05-03 11:02 PM (#5415 - in reply to #5404)

Expert

Devioussquirrel - 2004-05-03 7:52 PM

I think the 58 DeSotos have a more refined looking front end than the 57's. The grille, hood ornament, and domed windshield really enhance the appearance. It's as if they took the '57 model and polished away some of the rough spots. I have no preference between the two side treatments and actually prefer the smooth oval exhaust ports on the '57. Have any of you guys ever noticed a difference in build quality between the 57's and 58's? I've read that Chrysler engineers scrambled to fix the quality problems after complaints starting coming in on the 57's. In your experience, is there any real improvement?

Of all the '57 and '58 models, I think the only '57 I prefer (appearance-wise) is the Dodge. It's more primitive looking than the '58, but I like its meaner stance.

Justin

I have not noticed any real difference in the build quality between the 1957 model and the 1958. I can well imagine though that the Chrysler engineers were scrambling to take care of some of the complaints that surfaced when the 57s were put into service. They didn't really get a handle on this until the Uni-body cars debuted in 1960 though. I have had: 1) 1957 Dodge Coronet; 2) 1957 Chrysler Windsor 3) 1957 DeSoto Fireflite 4) 1958 DeSoto Firesweep 5)1959 Dodge Coronet; 6) 1959 Plymouth Suburban 6 - pass wagon 7) 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix. 8) 1962 Chrysler New Yorker. The Uni-body cars were in relatively good condition when I bought them, even though they had been used in the rust belt of the Upper Mid-West. The FL cars from the late 50's however were frankly in pretty poor condition except for the DeSotos that I purposely bought from the Southwestern desert. I don't know what, if anything Chrysler was using as rustproofing on the late 50s cars, but it was ineffective as the Rust monster had taken its toll on any car operated where the state used salt on the road in the winter.
Hey, Dr, DeSoto! I didn't know that you had a Police Certified speedometer in your car! That's got to be pretty rare! What's the history behind your car? You Are The Man

Edited by 58 DESOTOS RULE 2004-05-03 11:05 PM
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-04 1:28 AM (#5422 - in reply to #5279)

I am 4th owner. Car came into possession of 2nd owner in 1960, in Syracuse, NY. That owner moved to Madison, Wisc. in 1960 0r 68 (conflicting stories) and sold the car in 1983. I got the car from the 3rd owner in 1995. Who the 1st owner was, and where, I have yet to determine. I was kinda hot on this a couple months ago, but have gotten distracted with finishing the shop .... to work on the car in! ..... imagine that!
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-04 8:41 AM (#5426 - in reply to #5409)

Elite Veteran

Doctor DeSoto - 2004-05-04 3:00 AM

This car has some pretty unusual goodies on it. The 150 Police speedo, did you notice the Forward Look marked traffic light viewer? The Benrus clock is pretty cool too. There is a sign on the dash that reads: Windows are not to be lowered at speeds in excess of 200 mph. ( ! ) I will have to keep that in mind.

What a pathetic name for a speedo with 30 MPH more Why windows shouldn't be lowered ? I doubt if any usual owner tried to reach 200 MPH with this car when it was new...not to mention today...
Other options include power steering, brakes, seats, and windows, seeker radio with foot actuator, tinted glass, removeable sunvisors, dual mirrors, dual rear antennas, underhood and trunk light, triad horn, Nascar air cleaner, and of course, the K-H wire wheels. I probably even have a lighted change tray (ash tray for us anti-smokers), and I am pretty sure it has a lighted glove box too.

Nice set of "dual everything", "light everything" and "power everything" Is there something left on the options list, that is not in Your car ? Probably only those options which were limited to wagons, I doubt if You have power rear liftgate window

What it does not have that is kind of odd is rock guards (most cars got them) or any other Spring Special trim besides paint color. It was a real late production car. The old fenders had / have funny holes above the trim line (filled with bondo) and I found the chrome half of a fuel injection tag in a the trunk when I got it. Now YOU tell me what that means!

It means that You have experimental car in which prototype fuel injection was tested
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-04 11:07 AM (#5429 - in reply to #5279)

Doctor DeSoto - 2004-05-04 3:00 AM

"What a pathetic name for a speedo with 30 MPH more Why windows shouldn't be lowered ? I doubt if any usual owner tried to reach 200 MPH with this car when it was new...not to mention today..."

"Police Certified" means it is a certifiable speed reading. It is tested and certified accurate for use in court cases. 150 speedos were stock in 300's and Adventurers, maybe D-500's and Furys too? (cannot remember) They were not typically certified though.
I am thinking the sign is nothing short of an absurd joke. These cars build up a serious air dam at speeds over 100 and can easily lose road contact at 130. As if rolling the windows down would have any effect on a 2.5 ton wad of metal carwheeling ass-over-teakettle across the sagebrush! Besides, ... driving a finned car is something of a joke. Best to keep the humor hat on at all times!

"Is there something left on the options list, that is not in Your car ? Probably only those options which were limited to wagons, I doubt if You have power rear liftgate window."

The car does not have air, rock guards, any of the Spring Special stainless. It does not have power lift gate, roof rack, auto level control, turbo, intercooler, 4 x 4, lift kit, awesome thumpin' stereo, Dude!, blacked-out windows, four wheel independent suspension, or soft serve ice cream dispenser.
I would really like to build a ridiculous, overpowering stereo into the car to drown out the hippity-hoppers thump with some Chet Baker or Buddy Holly. Hard to hide them speakers in a ragtop though. .....

"It means that You have experimental car in which prototype fuel injection was tested"

President Dean says he's working on verifying those FI numbers. Mid-year Pilot Car ? Corporate Exec car ? Who knows ?
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-04 12:44 PM (#5432 - in reply to #5279)

Elite Veteran

I must be annoying, You have so much to explain me. Anyway, it looks that You would like to make this non-typical car more unconventional
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-04 7:49 PM (#5446 - in reply to #5279)

Finfan .... You do not annoy me. Talk FL cars all day long and into the night .... fine by me! I have a special place in my heart for Poland, and you get ten extra "bonus points" ! My best friend for many years was Polish. His parents left right after the war. I traveled to Poland with them in 1980. I had a wonderful time. I only lament how impossible the FL scene must be for you !

Brent
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-05 6:26 AM (#5480 - in reply to #5279)

Elite Veteran

Great to know that Dr DeSoto I plan to go to America..someday..somehow...I'm obliged to do so, after all those are American cars (Eureka !) I only wonder if You Americans will let me in, with all those visas and this stuff...
Last night I was looking at literature sold on E-bay...those wonderful sales brochures, folders, ads, there was even one "Popular Mechanics" with report on all new 1957 models...I would like to have each copy of literature for every brand and every year I'm interested in...looks like I will be able to open a small library if I'll manage to gain those

As for Forward Look scene, or widely : 50's american cars scene, it's a various access - You're able to find some 1949-1953 Chevrolet , which vere used by our diplomacy, later models are found in single examples...I know about one '55 Buick which looks like it had a small fire inside, also one '57 Buick and one '49, one or two '47-'48 Plymouths, one '58 Firesweep without front clip, there's also a '59 DeSoto which used to be a wagon, and someone conveted it into convertible. I saw it, it stands in a private collection which is also a small museum. Deck lid is custom-made and looks horrible, front fenders and bumper don't fit properly..at least it isn't rusted and abandoned.
What is interesting, we have (had ? ) one 1951 Kaiser here, it was imported for 1st Secretary of our Communist Party. The other interesting car is a '53 Buick Skylark, which I also saw, it's missing a couple of trim pieces, but it's restored.
As for "more finned" years as 1959, there's one rusted Chevy Parkwood wagon, and that's all. There's no late-finned Mopars. Then, there's a large gap, and there go very late 70's cars.
62chrysler
Posted 2004-05-05 9:39 AM (#5490 - in reply to #5279)

James

Just send the car. You can stay home!
Brent is very knowledgeable on this stuff. Don't take him wrong, he's cool. He knows these old Fins better than I do on top, interchanges, trims ect. I spent most of my non Arthritis career under them. Even at that, I was under the early sixties and late fifty's stuff. He's like me, always on the site, gleaning the information, trying to put in some factual input for everybody. Contrary to what some think, I don't have all the answers either, but I know my way around the front ends, brakes, and electrical systems in these short lived beasts. You are in a real class of your own there. How many Desotos are actually in Poland? When you are done putting the car back together, people will probably ask you where you got the Russian built car. Hell. They ask me that here and I don't have any roadable fins . . . Yet.

We'll put a light on for you. Need help, just shoot up a flare.
FinFan
Posted 2004-05-05 10:13 AM (#5495 - in reply to #5279)

Elite Veteran

I thought about importing a car. But I doubt if I ever would earn here in Poland enough to do so.
Being such a theory-type guy, I also know much more about the design, than about the technical site of those cars. I only know that they were too unconventional in their "youth" to be imported here by private people - our mechanics couldn't be able to fix all those torsion bars, push buttons and electrics. And there certainly would be what to fix, as there was always lack of cars in those years, and they were used 20+ years.

I forgot to mention one '57 Dodge that we have here. Here's only one artistically idiot shot of it that I have, there was written that's a Custom Royal.

(dog57.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dog57.jpg (25KB - 226 downloads)
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-05-05 10:48 AM (#5500 - in reply to #5279)

Steve -

Don't go talking like that. You'll get my head all swollen and my humor hat won't fit no more!

I know a little about a lot of stuff, and a lot about a little. If I ever get all my parts and reference books out of boxes in the dungeon, I will be able to speak with more certainty. It was over 10 years ago I put them away and things have gotten a little rusty upstairs!

Day before yesterday I finished the siding on the south end of the shop, and last night I finished staining all the trim. The floors are 80% refinished ( to a point where the car rolls around on my spiffy new wheel dollies ) without too much trouble. Kinda like polishing a turd, to quote a famous movie! The 57 NY'er parts car is a couple weeks away from delivery, which should time well with my work on the shop, so as I can get both cars IN the shop, side-by-side, and actually get to working on some metal instead of all this distracting prepwork !

Since I always have eleventy-thousand projects going, distraction is a real problem for me! Staying pretty well on schedule and moving ahead though. The floor grinding is putting a nasty concrete dusting on everything. I will wait until that mess is over before getting out fragile stuff like books and pictures.

Either way, always happy to help (when I can). I sure appreciate it when someone offers me that little secret method or insight. Glad to return something to the Karma cart !
62chrysler
Posted 2004-05-05 1:06 PM (#5510 - in reply to #5279)

LOL What's your address? I have a pair of oversized shoe horns to get your head throught the door! hehehehehehe

I am the same way. Know a lot about a lot of different things. Let's put it this way. Enough to have to "Change foot in mouth" often.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)