The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1949 Plymouth Brake problems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

JESTER
Posted 2007-11-01 3:11 PM (#101908)
Subject: 1949 Plymouth Brake problems

I have recently purchased a 1949 Plymouth Coupe. The front brakes have been switched out for Discs, but the rear ones are still the original drums. The rear brakes are binding, and am not usre of what to do to resolve this so that I can drive the car. I have adjusted the rear brakes all the way down to their most in position, but one good step on the brake pedal and the brakes stay locked out. I do beleive the return springs are possible shot and not pulling the brake shoes back to the middle like they should.
I am unable to find this return spring online, but have thought about taking one and getting some made at a machine shop.
Does anyone know a suitable replacement spring from another year or model?
Am I missing something in the adjustment of these? The calipers are both good so that is not the issue.
Would it just be better to switch the brakes out completely for discs on the rear as well?

Later,
Jester
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2007-11-01 3:55 PM (#101911 - in reply to #101908)
Subject: Re: 1949 Plymouth Brake problems

Expert

I'd see if you have pressure in the lines at the wheel cylinders first, did you change the master cyl and use a disc brake proportioning valve when the disc set up was installed?
JESTER
Posted 2007-11-01 4:47 PM (#101915 - in reply to #101911)

I have pressure in the wheel cylinders. I can see the brake shoes move out when the brake pedal is pressed down.

As to the master cylinder and the proportioning valve I am not sure about that. I will have to check that out. Even if I dont have the proportioning valve, wouldn't the rear brakes reset and not grab when I let up on the pedal even without the valve?

thanks for the reply,
Jester
Shep
Posted 2007-11-01 8:21 PM (#101928 - in reply to #101915)

Expert

I meant when the pedal is released is there pressure at the wheel cylinder sufficient to apply the rr brakes, there shouldn't be of course.
JESTER
Posted 2007-11-02 5:16 AM (#101953 - in reply to #101928)

I think the answer to your question is no. I can manually push the wheel cylinders closed if the pedal is not depressed. This is also why I am strongly suspecting those Brake Return Springs, isnt that their job?...to pull the brake shoes back together after the wheel cylinders after filled and pushed them out?

Gonna check on that proportioning valve issue on the next day off I get. Do you think I should change out the master cylinder just to check?

Still loving the idea of getting this brake job fixed and actually driving this beautifull 49 Plymouth

Laters,
James
Shep
Posted 2007-11-02 7:30 PM (#102005 - in reply to #101953)

Expert

The stock master cannot be used with discs, as residual pressure is built into that type cyl. which will keep the ft discs slightly applied. If you can retract the rear w/c's by hand, either they are sticking, the springs are weak, the brake pedal has no free play a so you are not quite uncovering the bypass port. Plus on the master, the ft capacity/reserve of the master must be considerably larger to accomodate the larger fluid capacity of the calipers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)