The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

brake troubleshooting help needed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

SCHROEDC
Posted 2007-10-28 9:21 PM (#101475)
Subject: brake troubleshooting help needed

Extreme Veteran

Finished my front disc conversion on my 59 fury, bled the system today and planned to go for a drive, one issue, seems like only one side of my brake system is working, almost like all the pressure is going to the front brakes and the rears aren't working at all, if i pump the brakes a bunch i can get them to engage but then I almost lock them up, any one done this conversion that can help. I have connected the fronts to the larger side of the brake resivoir as several people and the shop manual stated that was the front side of the ciircuit, do i need to add a proportioning valve ar a residual pressure valve? where in the system should i add them? car a little hard to drive right now as i can do burn outswithout trying to hard as the rear wants to keep spinning. Please help as I want to get this figured out. Thank you
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grunau
Posted 2007-10-28 10:37 PM (#101487 - in reply to #101475)
Subject: Re: brake troubleshooting help needed

Extreme Veteran

Usually disc /drum combinations call for a proportioning valve , rear brakes believe it or not actually come on first with the application of the brake pedal...pressure climbs to a certain point before the front discs come in to do the majority of the braking. Mopar performance sells an adjustable proportioning valve that may solve your problem.
DeSotohead
Posted 2007-10-29 7:59 AM (#101504 - in reply to #101475)
Subject: RE: brake troubleshooting help needed

Board Moderator

Colin...

What Master Cylinder did you use?
Reason for asking is that some have residual valves built into them (as opposed to the ones that used the "combo" prop valves).
If you have an internal residual valve going to the front discs, then that can cause lockage. The front discs basically want no or only about 2 psi of residual pressure. The rotors push the pads back during rotation.
If you have a 10 psi drum residual valve in that Master Cylinder, then the discs will be applied all the time.

I would check that. Easy to do. Step on the brake fully about 3 times and then quickly go to a front caliper bleeder. If when you crack it, it sprays out with force rather than dribbling, then there is a residual (check) valve in the system somewhere that is too high a pressure.
SCHROEDC
Posted 2007-10-29 8:21 AM (#101506 - in reply to #101475)

Extreme Veteran

I used a master cylinder from a 74 dart with front disc so the check valve should be correct for the disc brakes, brakes were returning properly in the front, main issue at this point is getting the rears to function correctly, I will install an adjustable proportioning valve and readjust the rears, Does any body know for sure that the check valves are in the master cylinder or do i need to add them to the system? I recall a few systems in the past that had the residual pressure valve built in to the combo valve assembly. was this one of them?
plypete
Posted 2007-10-29 10:08 AM (#101514 - in reply to #101506)

Veteran

I have used a 77 Volare system on a project that I would guess is similiar to the 74 Dart. It DOES have a separate proportioning valve in the system.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)