The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

eBay auction for VIP passes, hotel and breakfast with Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Miss Belvedere - The Unearthed Tulsarama Plymouth!Message format

ROBERTANDCYNDI
Posted 2007-05-17 2:00 PM (#83246)
Subject: eBay auction for VIP passes, hotel and breakfast with Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC

New User

As you know, the unearthing of the Belvedere/Time capsule is scheduled for June 15. I am on the committee and wanted to update you that there is an eBay auction that includes hotel and breakfast with our special guest Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC. Boyd and his crew will be on hand to attempt to start the engine. The winning bidder will receive VIP status to all of the events and even backstage privileges. The auction is to benefit the project. The item #160117700004 and the title is Tulsa time capsule.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
safetymike77
Posted 2007-05-17 2:18 PM (#83249 - in reply to #83246)
Subject: Re: eBay auction for VIP passes, hotel and breakfast with Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC

Expert

I just want you to know that if this is really going to happen, you won't get any real hot rodder who thinks a start of an engine that has been dormant for 50 years is smart to be done in the time period of 2 days. It is wise to soak the cylinders for many days prior to the starting attempt, and EVERY system should be thoroughly checked prior to any attempt.
57Furykay
Posted 2007-05-17 4:37 PM (#83273 - in reply to #83246)
Subject: RE: eBay auction for VIP passes, hotel and breakfast with Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC

Veteran

JUST ANOTHER WAY TO SUCK MORE MONEY. I would not eat with boyd coddington even if it was FREE !!
57plymouth
Posted 2007-05-17 4:44 PM (#83274 - in reply to #83246)
Subject: Re: eBay auction for VIP passes, hotel and breakfast with Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC

Expert

And most of us here don't want that a$$hole to touch the car.
carjock
Posted 2007-05-17 4:57 PM (#83280 - in reply to #83246)

Account Inactive by Request

First of all, I am NOT going to Tulsa--it has turned into a three ringed circus!!. But am I the only one here who recognizes that the whole Tulsa event is OWNED by the city of Tulsa, and they are using it as a revenue producing and publicity advancing event? Whatever you think of him, Boyd Coddington is a big name in the car world, and his presence will bring a whole lot of folks to the event. While I'm sure that Tulsa doesn't want to snub the forwardlookers, the fact is that we do NOT own the car, and cannot invite ourselves in as the "overlords" of the event. I'm sure our advice and comments are looked at and appreciated, but again, IT"S NOT OUR CAR!! I do not blame the promoters of the event or the city of Tulsa for wanting to get maximum mileage out of their event. I think they are doing a good job. And I will certainly be surprised if the car isn't photographed in detail as it emeges from its tomb and that all proper procedures will be followed to try to get the car running. What purpose would it serve for them to have Boyd start it and destroy the engine. I think a lot of you need to realize that we a just spectators like everyone else at this event and learn to live with it! Go ahead and let me have it for my "against the tide" position!!
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-17 5:14 PM (#83288 - in reply to #83246)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

This is a JOKE, right????

Why don't we take up a collection, to buy-him-out, and to keep him AWAY from the car?

As per Jim Helm's comment, above, I reiterated to myself, yesterday, as I was driving to an assignment, that the BOTTOM-LINE
is: "we" do NOT 'own' the car, and do not have any proprietory interest IN it.

If Tulsa wants to destroy the car's Historical-interest, and value, by having a HOT-RODDER (who has no "interest" in the car's
well-being, other than that it might serve HIS financial interests!!!) mis-handle the car, well, THAT is TULSA's bad Kar-ma !!

That said, and as I have never attended a Public-Execution, before, I will be there "cheering" Boyd on-ward, and look
"Forward" to communing with Finned-Folk!

May Exner have mercy on Boyd's soul(lessness) .

Rebels-59
Posted 2007-05-17 5:21 PM (#83289 - in reply to #83246)
Subject: RE: eBay auction for VIP passes, hotel and breakfast with Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod on TLC

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Here is the Link..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3...

$1500 Start Bid... As it crossed anyones mind the Auction could be a Scam,, And the Guy just wants to pocket your Money,, LOL..
I noticed in the Pic,s .. There is one guy standing on the Hood / Roof, And in another there are Kids sitting on the Hood,,, So the Car will Possibly have some Damage before Mr Hot Rodder gets his Claws on it...

(8416_1.bmp)

(8710_12.bmp)

(8773_1.bmp)

(87a2_1.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 8416_1.bmp (238KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments 8710_12.bmp (198KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments 8773_1.bmp (240KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 87a2_1.bmp (157KB - 126 downloads)
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-17 5:25 PM (#83290 - in reply to #83246)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Fear not, Clive; the men are either standing on the support-framework, or are standing on the ground, behind the car.
Mike P
Posted 2007-05-18 9:57 AM (#83357 - in reply to #83246)

Extreme Veteran

carjock I think you put it pretty well. I also believe that Tulsa could have done far worse than the having Coddington and crew do the prep for presentation.

As I mentioned in another post these are people who work on high dollar show winning cars for a living, not someone who has their mechanic, or "distributor guy" "brake guy" or any other of a multitude of "guys" do their work for them. These are those "guys" that a lot of people who can afford them send there cars to.

I won't go into the whole purist vs hotrodder thing, I like them both and made a decent living building and repairing both for people. Why get all wound up about something rather than going and enjoying the event.

"....As it crossed anyones mind the Auction could be a Scam,,..."

Yes it did, but with the links posted in the auction to Paula Hale I kind of believe that it's for real. If I were to bid (I'm not, it's a little rich for me) I would contact her first.
GaryS
Posted 2007-05-18 10:07 AM (#83360 - in reply to #83246)

Expert

Boyd C. and a reclaimed classic? The person who made that decision must be same one who invited Roseanne Barr to sing the national anthem.
cjscott128
Posted 2007-05-18 11:39 AM (#83366 - in reply to #83280)

Extreme Veteran

carjock - 2007-05-17 3:57 PM

First of all, I am NOT going to Tulsa--it has turned into a three ringed circus!!. But am I the only one here who recognizes that the whole Tulsa event is OWNED by the city of Tulsa

I agree with Carjock that we don't own the car, and all of what we say is just our opinion of what should be done with it. But I kind of disagree with the statement that the car is owned by the city of Tulsa.

In my opinion, the car is owned by the person who has the winning number for the raffle. That person should be the one who decides what happens to it.

Also, do we really know what was done to the car before it was placed in the capsule? Someone mentioned that the best thing would be to fill the cylindars and let it set for a few days. Maybe they filled the cylindars were filled before it was buried, would that make a difference?

And I am going to Tulsa with the midset that this is a really rare event, that there will be lots of other finned cars there and that I will have a chance to meet a bunch of folks from this website that over the last couple of years that I have come to know and respect and consider as friends and that I am going to have a lot of good times, regardless of exactly how the planners of this event have it set up.

Just my 2 cents worth
safetymike77
Posted 2007-05-18 12:59 PM (#83376 - in reply to #83366)

Expert

cjscott128 - 2007-05-18 10:39 AM

And I am going to Tulsa with the midset that this is a really rare event, that there will be lots of other finned cars there and that I will have a chance to meet a bunch of folks from this website that over the last couple of years that I have come to know and respect and consider as friends and that I am going to have a lot of good times, regardless of exactly how the planners of this event have it set up.

Just my 2 cents worth

I concur with that... but I will still gripe anyway.. :D

Edited by safetymike77 2007-05-18 12:59 PM
Rebels-59
Posted 2007-05-18 5:15 PM (#83390 - in reply to #83246)

The Auction States, 4 Days / 3 Nights at " the Crowne Plaza Hotel " Also " Breakfast for 4 with Boyd Coddington ".. So by reading that , It Appears Boyd will also be Staying at the CROWNE PLAZA.. So he Won,t be Eating with Us FL,s at the Doubletree Or Hammie..

Edited by Rebels-59 Coronet 2007-05-18 5:16 PM
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-18 5:39 PM (#83395 - in reply to #83246)

Technically, Virgil IS owned by the City of Tulsa.

However, IF Tulsa were a car-oriented town , their promotion & handling of the car would have been greatly different.

A "car-town" would have recognized the historic , scientific (even), and the promotional-and-resale value of the car,
in its as-unearthed condition.

Most of us are complaining that we are being "cheated" out of a close-examination OF the car, before it might be
"cleaned-up", by Boyd. also, that Boyd, as a HOT-RODDER, is unworthy of being professionally-associated with
the-most-ORIGINAL-50's-car-in-the-WORLD, and that he is exploiting the event as a bald-headed self-promotional
stunt, will tend to denigrate the car's significance; in other words: "Boyd" will (try to be) the "real" star, of the
Event!

Tulsarama just mass-emailed a Crown Plaza Hotel site-preferred-seating/dining(?) promotion; I don't think that a flat-
rate price was included, in it, but, for the opportunity to see the car, as-unearthed, & before it becomes Boyd-erated,
the offer is tempting!

carjock
Posted 2007-05-18 6:26 PM (#83399 - in reply to #83246)

Neil: Face it, if the car were for sale you'd try to buy it for $500, telling the owners that it had deteriorated for 50 years! (LOL). Anyway, why does everybody here hate Boyd Coddington so much? He has done some incredible work, and again, is a name that will attract crowds which is what Tulsa really wants. He has the best tools, the best crews, and probably knows that he can't tinker with the originality. I've never seen so many folks get so lathered up over something they don't own, have no say in how the event is run, and are really nothing more than additional spectators. Go and have fun, but if you all hate the way Tulsa is running their own event, I don't understand you fever to get there. There are quite a few VERY low mileage, 100% original cars around (mostly in collections) that most of us can go see without having to go through all of this hype. Hell, I've pulled many cars out of old barns that I'm sure was more fun than the Tulsa unearthing will be!
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-18 8:19 PM (#83423 - in reply to #83246)

Well, let's see, Jim; you said that you are NOT gonna be there, so I don't blame you for not caring about someone who is gate-crashing,
Grandstanding-in, trying to exploit the car, and the situation, for his own personal gain, at the expense of the car's Original Condition,
and at the expense of whomever WINS the car, and that person's wishes concerning precisely what he wants to do WITH the car.

The "Fever" was generated years BEFORE Boyd decided that he wanted to "crash" the party.

We-who-shall-travel-far, and pay mucho dinero, to BE THERE, for the car's unearthing want to be able to observe, closely,
the car's physical appearance and condition, after residing for 50 years underground.

Boyd has no professional interest in an Original car, OR , the people who appreciate Original cars.

He is not appearing in Tulsa out of the 'goodness' of his heart, like we-all-who-shall-be-there ARE doing.

What IS a true-SHAME, is that Tulsa doesn't appreciate the car, for what it represents to the people who DO appreciate
Original Cars, and who will expend time and money to travel to Tulsa, to see the car!!!!

safetymike77
Posted 2007-05-19 9:06 AM (#83469 - in reply to #83246)

Expert

I dont' really appreciate original cars... but this one... should be left as is for the owner to figure out what to do with it. This would kinda be akin to you buying a new truck and the dealer going out and doing donuts with it...
carjock
Posted 2007-05-19 10:16 AM (#83476 - in reply to #83246)

OK, how do you know with certainty that Mr Coddingtom "imposed himself" on this event? Is it possible that the promoters of the event invited him? And why does everybody here despise him so much? You may not like what he does with cars, but he is a true car guy and has had a tremendous influence on car culture in this country--I like his creations! And I will be very surprised if he is allowed to do anything more than clean the car and get it running AFTER it is fully photographed, inspected, and examined by those chosen by the true owners of the car, the city of Tulsa! And as for the "winner" of the car after the event. it would certainly be nice if it were some FL'er that would appreciate it for what it is, but statistics say that it will be won by someone with little appreciation for its heritage and with little knowledge of how to "bring it back" after 50 years of storage. This sort of winner would appreciate having the car delivered in clean, running condition! Face it, we don't get to choose what happens to the car. Probably the best thing (besides one of us winning it) that could occur is for one of us with the cash to do so to instantly buy it from the winner and preserve it for future generations. Care to guess what the price tag on that will be? Neil, even you probably can't negotiate that price down to a reasonable level!!
Mike P
Posted 2007-05-19 10:54 AM (#83485 - in reply to #83246)

Extreme Veteran

"....This would kinda be akin to you buying a new truck and the dealer going out and doing donuts with it..."

And you think this doesn't happen????

Who knows what the personality/desires of the eventual winner will be. The chances of the car being won by a well to do "car guy" with an existing collection who happens to love original 57 Plymouths are just a little bit on the slim side.

For myself, I suspect that with the potential value of this car, once the winner is determined, it will either be sold privately or more than likely be sold through a well publized auction. Winning the car will be the equivalent to hitting the lottery with a bit more work involved to see the maximum amount out of the car.

What equates to dollars on cars like this is history.......and Coddington whether you like him or not WILL add history ($$$$$) to the car. Depending on the winner of the car, chances are he would be tickled to death to have the publicity that the 3-4 minuet spot on some future American Hot Rod show will produce FOR FREE (to him/her). Besides, they have no say on the car UNTIL the title is in their name.

By the way this is from Boyd's web site as posted by his wife

"......We are all looking so forward to seeing Miss. Belvedere! People have been chatting that Boyd and the boys are going to alter the car I want people to know that not all cars are meant to be hot rodded Miss Belvedere needs to be left just as she is, its very exciting......"

Edited by Mike P 2007-05-19 10:56 AM
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-20 12:17 AM (#83562 - in reply to #83246)

Cod-Piece is NOT going to add any "value" to the car.

And, to answer a question, from Jim Helm, above, another poster, in another thread, on this board fessed-up that HE knew Boyd, and told Boyd about this event, so that Boyd contacted the Tulsarama Folks, & "sold" them on HIS involvement (in exchange for :"..not very much money", in a direct quote, from Ms. Hale).

Virgil's eventual winner, probably years from now after considerable litigation, will never meet Boyd, as Boyd will have moved-on and will have no further interest in a car that he had "merely cleaned-up, back in Tulsa, in 2007; what was that car, again? A Plymouth...?"

MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2007-05-20 1:22 AM (#83570 - in reply to #83246)

Expert 5K+

Well the "engines" are getting all revved up, but it will all be a thrown rod if the Plymouth comes out of the ground as an un-recognizable hunk of RUST!
Whatever the big dogs do is fine with me, I will be happy to swap stories and pop a top or two out in the parking lot ..................................5%..............
carjock
Posted 2007-05-20 10:39 AM (#83583 - in reply to #83246)

Neil: You have "Boyd Phobia"!! Why don't you just go to the event, let the promoters and owner's of the car do their thing, and enjoy it no matter how it works out? You can't do anything about it anyway and all of this fussing about what might happen there has to be putting a damper on what is likely to be a great event for those who are so inclined to attend such things.
moparjimmy
Posted 2007-05-21 12:37 AM (#83660 - in reply to #83246)

Extreme Veteran

Well heelo Carjock I do have a small custom and Rod shop me and a buddy started a few years ago and we may never get the notarity that the boyd jerk has you can stick up for him as you wish but he would not know a true hot rod if one ran him over ( I could only wish) and I will be attending the event and enjoying as much as I can. But boyd is not the person for the job now his crew do and some may have true talent but boyd pays people to do the real work. You made the comment you do this type of work you know the hours that a real car takes to do. boyd is only about what is in it for him I do agree with Neil and others the car should remain as it comes from the ground many many people are spending alot of money in T-Town and other places to see this car the way it comes out and for tulsa to sell more up closer seats is kind of dirty we bought our tickets months ago just to have others get put ahead of us but I will have fun with my fellow car people just my 2 cents take care true gearheads.
Jimmy
bourne
Posted 2007-05-21 2:41 PM (#83731 - in reply to #83246)

I emailed Paula Hale about Boyd cleaning the car and she replied that the car would not be cleaned up at all. I posted this under the subject "About Boyd".

P.S. Chip Foose was Boyd's lead Designer, he is responsible for "most" of the creations that made Boyd famous. IMO that is why Boyd hates it so much when his employees leave him to work for Foose. Just look at how Boyd treats his guys on American Hot Rod.
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-21 5:07 PM (#83759 - in reply to #83246)

Chip Foose (BTW; a MoPar-man!) has a show : "Overhaulin", and ON that show, you see him DESIGNING the re-creations of
an un-knowing beater-owner-car, whose family has set him up, having him think that his car had been stolen, or was destroyed, etc.,
and the "customizing" hot-rodding of that car occurs within SEVEN days, of its "abduction".

Altho I do NOT know this, for a fact, I think that Chip is smart enough not to want to try to ingratiate himself, into an event like
this one, purely for being a self-promotional stunt.

big m
Posted 2007-05-21 5:22 PM (#83764 - in reply to #83246)

Expert 5K+

Dang, Neil, just when I was going to contact Foose about taking a look at your half-masted trunk problem! Lol! ---John
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-21 5:38 PM (#83770 - in reply to #83246)

HEY: if Chip ; ANYBODY (even the Boydster; that's how desperate I am-lolololol) can fix my 1/2-masted trunk; that's OK by ME

There WERE Technical Service Bulletins issued, about loosey-goosey trunk lids, & I have tried those "fixes" without success. I recently REPLACED the trunk torsion-bars with
NOS pieces(!) , but, as I reported, on the "Body" Board thread, the trunk DID operate PERFECTLY, until I closed the trunk, for the night!

Next morning, when I went out to "enjoy" the trunk's return-to-life, the thing operated the same-way, as before!

Nutz.

The trunk-finish is too-nice, to start cutting & welding on it, now, just to align the trunk-hinge supports, or, whatever.....

big m
Posted 2007-05-21 5:50 PM (#83773 - in reply to #83246)

Expert 5K+

Yep. I know how frustrating it can be to perform a job, and it works perfectly, and inexplicably, the original problem returns. ---John
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-21 7:46 PM (#83790 - in reply to #83246)

Hmmmp; and, I thought EYE was the only one who experienced THAT sorta deal!! 'Taint fun!
Rebels-59
Posted 2007-05-26 3:44 PM (#84277 - in reply to #83246)

Auction for the Tickets Finished....
Mitchell_Barnes of USA had the Winning Bid of $2651.01.... or £1335 GBP....
d500neil
Posted 2007-05-29 7:46 PM (#84556 - in reply to #83246)

Ah, the "Mitchell Barnes experience", aka : " MISERY loves company" !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)