The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It is not a radio delete car?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Miss Belvedere - The Unearthed Tulsarama Plymouth!Message format

57belvedere
Posted 2007-07-08 9:41 AM (#89015 - in reply to #87217)
Subject: Re: It is not a radio delete car?

Extreme Veteran

Hi there guys.
I back from my trip around the states and i will say that i was really great meeting you all in Tulsa!!!!!!!!!

Just a question regarding miss belvederes carb.
If she got a four barrel carb wouldnt she have the hang down type of air cleaner?

Kjell

Top of the page Bottom of the page
57plymouth
Posted 2007-07-08 9:42 AM (#89016 - in reply to #89015)

Expert

It's a TWO BARELL!!
57belvedere
Posted 2007-07-08 10:09 AM (#89020 - in reply to #87217)

Extreme Veteran

Thats what i tought.
Thanks Brian.
winter_deltron
Posted 2007-07-24 8:39 AM (#90858 - in reply to #87217)
Subject: RE: It is not a radio delete car?

Weird about the radio mystery. As far as I know the mounting locations would have been trunk 'whip' , antennas, or the conventional front fender spot as already pointed out.

There is one other possible location; embedded into the windshield glass. I'm not an expert really on MoPar, but I know on my Chevelle the antennas are imbedded into the front windshield. Almost invisible really unless you look closely at the glass, then you will see three thin metallic strips sandwiched in between the glass spanning a good portion of the windshield. The Chevelle is the 70 model year, so it's feesible I guess that this could have been a viable option thirteen years prior spanning the Detroit lines.

Edited by winter_deltron 2007-07-24 8:41 AM
57plymouth
Posted 2007-07-24 9:15 AM (#90861 - in reply to #87217)

Expert

Chrysler didn't put the antenna in the front glass that I am aware of. No company did in the fifties at all, generic motors included.
winter_deltron
Posted 2007-07-24 10:24 AM (#90866 - in reply to #87217)

Somewhere around 1970 must have been the first use of windshield antennas (on GM A bodies anyway)...

I was half expecting the brand loyalist remark, then thought 'nah, I'm not going to receive that due to brand alone; after all, the bottom line is it's a full framed domestic which is all that should really matter. More importantly, 'Generic' motors has taken the global sales lead back away from Toyota last I heard. I'd be just as pleased if it had been Chrsler. So consider me more of a domestic car guy as opposed to a 'brand' loyalist...Which is what we need more of, and which is why I'm here. I have just as much respect for a Fury as I do a Chevelle. I don't see the MoPar owner as a rival of some sort. There's too many import loyalists, or bureaucrats that would like to see both the Chevelle and the Plymouth restricted to our driveways. Those are the real rivals when it comes to this hobby.

Glad that's out of the way.
d500neil
Posted 2007-07-24 3:37 PM (#90891 - in reply to #87217)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Todd, welcome aboard; most die-hard MoPar mavens do tend to have chips on our shoulders (myself included), based upon a lot
of factors, like NASCAR skewing its rules, to favor Ford & Ch**y (there, I said them!) , media bias against Chrysler, the list goes on..

This thread is about how the car came to have a non-operative radio unit be installed in it, but, having no antenna-drillings on it,
when it was buried.

GM was the first company to install integral dual-wire (for FM reception, particularly) antennas, in their windshields, sometime around 1970.

A lot of us, here, probably DO regard GM & Ford, as being rivals (unless we're talking about other "common competitors".

This discussion probably deserves its own indeperndent thread:

"How come we-all don't love Chevies, too"? Can't we-all just, get-along"???

57plymouth
Posted 2007-07-24 3:56 PM (#90893 - in reply to #87217)

Expert

Fine then, I will!!
lawrence
Posted 2007-07-24 6:37 PM (#90914 - in reply to #90893)

Expert

The thing about it is this.. The foreign cars are now made in the US. I heard chebbies were being made in Mexico. True or not? The US has sold all of its ports? I just heard last night that most all toll roads are owned by foreigners? Is this true? Is the US bent over and waiting for the big one or what?

Tulsa Belvy has a radio, I'll bet it doesn't work.
mean58fury
Posted 2007-07-24 7:39 PM (#90929 - in reply to #87217)

Regular

Yeah it's true Larry. I heard some rich Saudi family bought the Port of Miami which has the local folks nervous. That's what's wrong with this country, as long as there are enough zeros in the check they would sell Washigton D.C. to Osama Bin Laden.

Doug
winter_deltron
Posted 2007-07-24 9:03 PM (#90940 - in reply to #87217)

Well, thanks for the welcome d5.

...and yes., the Belvedere is a great interest to me....But I just have to address a few points here (being as diplomatic as possible). Lawrence as far as Mexico and Toyota goes, consider this; GM (the big three in particular) has supported our country by paying some of the largest corporate taxes in America. The non-American car companies choose some of the poorest areas of the country and then negotiate with the state and local governments to receive “sweetheart” tax deals or threaten to take their much needed jobs elsewhere. If the big three were given the same “deals, Mexico wouldn't even factor in.

They have tooled up, supported, and helped this country win two world wars (which side did Toyota support?). If necessary, and I hope it never is, they will help us win another one. Will the Toyota Corporation do the same?

For every vehicle General Motors sells a little more than 9 jobs in the US are supported (ABC World News Tonight, May 2005). Why is this? Because GM still uses more AMERICAN MADE parts in their vehicles than the non-american car companies do. In fact, it is the Japanese Auto Manufacturing Associations (which Toyota is a member of) position to use as many parts as possible from other countries (Detroit Auto News).

GM is the second largest provider of health insurance in this country. If you live in this country, chances are you know someone who works directly for the big three or for a company who supplies parts for their vehicles.

Consider those simple points Lawrence.

To d5 about NASCAR skewing it's rules, you're talking about the Daytona's/Superbird's of over thirty years ago I'm guessing? I would rank that up there as part myth as well. It was practically even really between the Ford's and MoPar's in the 1970 'aerowar' season. GM wasn't even a factory supporter during that. The Ford was running a Hemi as well (even the LS6 from GM has a sort of 'semi-hemi' design to the cylinder heads.)

The first use of a restrictor plate was in 71 on a winged car believe it or not (sitting on a small block MoPar intake.) The main reason for eliminating the winged cars was safety concerns, and as obvious with the Superbirds/Daytona's -- Not to have the factories introducing exotic designs such as that. They wanted to keep NASCAR looking like NASCAR in other words.

As far as rules 'skewing' in NACSAR goes. Again, you're focusing on the wrong manufacturer. Look to Toyota instead, essentially creating a carbon copy of an American push rod just in order to compete with it....And as far as Chrysler goes, out of all of the big three; they are official listed as a as a GERMAN-AMERICAN COMPANY now. Essentially killing off Plymouth just because they didn't want a 'stodgy' image associated with them on the global market. Or what they perceived as one. I don't agree with a lot of Chryslers actions (or those paying the bills to keep it alive) -- I was hurt really when they dropped Plymouth. I've had my share of Plymouths as well, and am a huge fan of Plymouth.

I would have just as soon had a RoadRunner, or even a Challenger...But the price was right for the Chevelle at the time, that's what motivated me to purchase it, not brand loyalty.
lawrence
Posted 2007-07-24 9:58 PM (#90945 - in reply to #90940)

Expert

Todd, consider this. If certain American companies use other nations to build their stuff(GM), do they still pay Americans Healthcare? During the 2 World Wars, were there more employees of the big 3 or less than there are now. Factor in wage increase and car increase and I think you are full of crap.

Miss Belvedere's radio looked bad.
winter_deltron
Posted 2007-07-24 10:20 PM (#90947 - in reply to #87217)

Lawrence you're missing the point. Let's not forget about all of the retirees that are still receiving pensions, and health care. There's quite a few of those. As far as employees go during the two world wars; the factories were going at a fever pitch, most every capable American assumed a role to aid in the effort. So you tell me, do you honestly believe (factoring in robotics responsible for the majority of the welding involved nowadays)...Do you honestly believe that there are more bodies on the lines today than there were during war production times in the 40's?

Get your crap together.
moparjimmy
Posted 2007-07-26 1:47 AM (#91076 - in reply to #87217)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Lawrence Me thinks you have your hands full with Winter Deltron, and welcome aboard to our kool little world.

Jimmy
d500neil
Posted 2007-07-26 4:14 PM (#91134 - in reply to #87217)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Oh, yeah; no OEM radio, huh....
mean58fury
Posted 2007-07-26 10:08 PM (#91165 - in reply to #87217)

Regular

It's possible that the Tulsarama people ordered the car with no antenna or mirrors to get a good seal with the cosmoline and the bag(which we now know was useless). How many folks believe that Miss Belvedere will come out of Ultra One's tank with a sunroof? She'll be unique as I don't know of any other 57 Plymie with one of those.

Doug
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)