The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacement glass
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

SCHROEDC
Posted 2007-12-26 1:14 PM (#108452)
Subject: Replacement glass

Extreme Veteran

Just trying to get a feel for the demand for replacement door/quarter/vent window glass, I run an auto glass shop and we can get flat automotive safety laminated glass in sheets in several different styles, period correct clear, green tinted or what they refer to as "Solar shade" and a darker grey "Smoked" or shaded tint, looking at the costs for glass if I buy several sheets at a time we could get the cost down to 30-35.00 each for small quarter/vent windows and 45-60.00 each for door glass, this can be done from patterns or using the original glass as a pattern, we ship regularly so shipping would be nominal and at/near cost, We have the equipment to put the smooth rounded edge on the glass as well, My questions are:

1. How much demand is there for this?
2. How many different windows are there for any given year? How much interchange is there?

Thank you
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bhigdog
Posted 2008-01-01 5:11 PM (#109268 - in reply to #108452)
Subject: RE: Replacement glass

Regular

Not trying to rain on your parade but your price seems way high. My local glass shop charges about $120 for all 6 flat glass windows for a hardtop. Cut using my old glass as patterns in solar shade.......Bob

Edited by bhigdog 2008-01-01 5:13 PM
dukeboy
Posted 2008-01-01 5:42 PM (#109271 - in reply to #109268)
Subject: RE: Replacement glass

Expert 5K+

If I had broken my side window in my '58 Plymouth 2dr hd top, and had to have the shaded factory style stuff, I'd prolly pay $60.00 before someone charges aroud $100.00 for a good used one...............
SCHROEDC
Posted 2008-01-01 7:23 PM (#109283 - in reply to #109271)
Subject: Re: Replacement glass

Extreme Veteran

I appreciate the feedback, the prices I mentioned were aproximate estimates based on what we have to pay for the glass and what other glass shops in the market I am in are charging for cut laminate glass, We can get our costs down by buying in bigger sheets but then storage becomes an issue, if folks can get it done locally then by all means go that route, if someone was looking to do an entire car at one time that would obviously lower prices. I didn't start this to solicit work but to get a feel for the demand out there to see if it was worth my time to put actual prices and samples together for people to view
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)