The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scandinavia and fins....a question.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Sartana
Posted 2007-12-30 3:26 PM (#108988)
Subject: Scandinavia and fins....a question.

Veteran

I am curious....why do you think the Forward Look cars are so popular in Scandinavia? I know, I know, “because they are the best!”. But seriously, I wonder why those have apparently caught the fancy of our Scandinavian friends. Does it just appear that way because I am focusing on these cars? Is there an equally big following of Studebaker Hawks, finned Ch**y’s or bathtub Packards? Was there an uncommonly large number shipped over to Europe during 57-59 so there is that added familiarity to the cars, leading to continued popularity today? It does seem that 57-59 is the focus.

I mean, why not France, England, Germany, Holland, wherever? I know there are folks from those countries on this forum but my impression, and it may be a wrong one, but my impression is that Scandinavia is the big player in this.

This is just an observation. I am curious what theories others have on this. Perhaps some of the Scandinavian readers can best add to this.

James
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sisu
Posted 2007-12-30 6:51 PM (#109009 - in reply to #108988)
Subject: Re: Scandinavia and fins....a question.

Inactive by Request

I have lived in Finland for most of my life, some years abroad (like now). Its really funny that I met a guy from this forum (FinFury57) and we realized we lived in the same village and went the same school when we were young. Perhaps he can tell his reasons why he has so many nice "fincars".

When I was young it was cool to have an American car. They were cheap and usually modified (not always to right direction;), and they had to make a deep sound (the more the better). I don´t know when I got hooked about American cars, but I always wanted one. At the age of 10 I made a subscription for a Finnish V8 Magazine, it was a new magazine at the time and specializing in US cars. Later, almost every good friend I knew was building cars. Because American cars have simple, good technics and thicker steel - it was possible to keep them running with basic tools and welding machine. At the time newspapers were making some negative stories about American cars and the people around them. I can´t remember anyone restoring cars, just tuning, raising the rear suspension, adding wider tires and keeping them alive. Gasoline was cheaper then. In 1990 I turned 18 and later that year managed to buy a Z28 Camaro, I didn´t have much money - but I build 2500 hours to make it a show car. I sold it after 4 years of ownership, still regret it.

Around 1992-1993 came depression time and you could buy American cars really cheaply. I remember I was offered a convertible "soap box" Corvette for around 13k euros and really nice Thunderbird with big block for 2500 euros (those times we had Finnish Mark as currency), but I soon lost my job and moved to England. If then - someone bought anything at all - they would make only good deals. Only true enthusiasts kept their cars and somehow managed to go through those hard years. But around the time Finland joined European Union and Euro came our currency, prices went up and young people thought it was cool to have Japanese Tuning cars. Currently its sometimes more convinient to buy nice cars from Scandinavia, since the prices are going faster up in USA. Some original Finnish cars have a really long history and many, many past owners - and as many styling changes. They are part of the old car culture which will perhaps never come back the same way it was...

If I make a comparison between the people in Northern Europe (especially Finland) and Central Europe, I would say I notice a slight difference between peoples. I sometimes realize I have bit "harder" way of thinking than my friends here in Germany (nothing against them, vice versa!). If you look for bands of really "dark music", you´ll find out many of the darkest bands come from Scandinavia! There is cultural difference which I can´t describe, perhaps the American ideologism in creating cars and the culture, is closer to our hearts. Its more simple. Car people here in Southern Germany mostly like American cars, but they still choose to have European cars, usually Opels - but remember, Opel is part of GM!

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2007-12-30 7:09 PM
67SATisfaction
Posted 2007-12-30 7:41 PM (#109019 - in reply to #108988)
Subject: RE: Scandinavia and fins....a question.

I too lived in Scandinavia for 10 years back in the 70's, Norway to be specific.
We lived in Sarpsborg in the southeast part of the country, an area particularly known for it's 'AmCar' fans. This is close to Sweden which also has a consistent and committed AmCar enthusiast crowd.

I offer the following: Scandinavians emigrated in droves to the US back in the 1800's, but also well up into the post-WW2 period. Back then, and to some degree today, America represented the land of opportunity, wealth and all things good. So the influx of immigrants looking for their fortune, and the marketing of our cars as status symbols did the trick. Our cars remain to this day a highly visible symbol of that era, culture and status - and nostalgia for it remains very strong in the huge babyboomer age group, and also the 30-somethings who witnessed the musclecar are vicariously through magazine coverage, etc. (although there is concern in local clubs about drop off in new younger members). Norwegians who spent time in the US brought cars back with them throughout the 50's, 60's and 70's or mailed home letters describing their fortunes, both situations certainly reinforced the American car image 'back home'. Norway is a small country so the American car image drove "successful" people back home to seek out American cars in their showrooms or from importers at home too.

American cars also have a personality very different from European cars that provide a reason they are sought out - power everything, luxury, size and effortless comfort were combined in ways that weren't seen in European cars until....., well.... it's still not pervasive is it? So, there remains a steady flow of US cars making their way to Scandinavia, newer models of worktrucks, vans, and luxury sedans remain popular.

Two Norwegian uncles of mine emigrated to the US. One was born US, the other became a US citizen. Both served in the US Army. The older was married and drove 'sensible' stationwagons and sedans. The other was a successful flooring contractor in Chicago and a bachelor until his 40's. I remember him visiting us in shiny new red Mustang fastbacks that he traded in very frequently for the latest model.

Maybe what sets Scnadinavians apart from the rest of Europe is they are a small but very very dedicated bunch. They are organized and influence legislation regarding old cars to make sure the hobby lasts. I surf a Norwegian AmCar forum (www.amcarforum.no) and what I find impressive is the general lack of brand-focus, brand-badmouthing, etc. They are wonderful folks, true enthusiasts who are attracted to and interested in talking about ALL American cars, and don't think twice about wrenching on every make they can get their hands on. They are kinda like an issue of Hemmings Classic Cars, or Muscle Machines. They absorb all the info they can get and love OTHER PEOPLE's cars as much as their own. Suddenly compared to them I feel sorta shallow and selfish to "know & love" only Mopars... and a few Fords.

Best wishes, God Jul og Godt Nytt Aar.
- Art

1959Dodge
Posted 2007-12-30 10:34 PM (#109044 - in reply to #108988)

Expert

It is true, there are a lot of Great US cars in Scandania.
But one thing to consider.
Sweden is about the size of California, so is it not possible that we are seeing a, I guess what you might call, A "Concentrated", collection of cars?
Chances are we have many many more of these Classic Cars in the US, but we are sooooooooo spread out from Coast to Coast, that we really never see the High concentrations of cars as we do in Sweden and some of the other Scandanavian Countries.
I know, even just in California, there are a lotta classic cars , but they are never in the same place at the same time, so one can guess what happens when you look at the US as a whole,------A little car show , here and there, that most of us never hear about ¿¿¿
spinout
Posted 2007-12-31 7:05 AM (#109075 - in reply to #108988)

Sartana - 2007-12-31 12:26 AM
Was there an uncommonly large number shipped over to Europe during 57-59 so there is that added familiarity to the cars, leading to continued popularity today? It does seem that 57-59 is the focus.

I speak Finland now, because I'm Finnish. From the 20's to the early '50s, American cars outnumbered by other cars on the roads. They were considered as reliable, easily serviceable and spacious cars on our harsh roads then. Our country is sparsely populated with long distances. Also, they serviced well in WWII. They were popular among professional drivers. Finland has always been MOPAR country. In fact, in one time in the '50s and '60s, Finland was the only country in the world where Chrysler products outsold GM vehicles!

There were moderate amount of finned FL cars, which sold new. They would have been more popular, if the availability was greater. It wasn't quite good then. In 1962 - just when Mopar fins disappeared - the car importing exempted from the control. Then the high car taxes distorted market. What was an upper-middle class in the USA, was a luxury here and it was common that big Plymouth used often as representation vehicle. Because of the large size and impressive appearance of average American car compared with others, there was an illusion of the wealthiness when owning it, even if bought as used car.

In the late '60s and early '70s, fins were out and generally 10 years old cars were worth next to nothing. Then came the late 1970s and youngsters' hobby. Finned '57-61 Mopars were very sought-after cars already then, in same time when they were still cheap junk in America.. The importing of old cars was released in the mid-'80s and the rest is history..
Adventurer 60
Posted 2007-12-31 7:29 AM (#109078 - in reply to #109044)

Elite Veteran

1959Dodge - 2007-12-30 10:34 PM

Chances are we have many many more of these Classic Cars in the US, but we are sooooooooo spread out from Coast to Coast, that we really never see the High concentrations of cars as we do in Sweden and some of the other Scandanavian Countries.
I know, even just in California, there are a lotta classic cars , but they are never in the same place at the same time, so one can guess what happens when you look at the US as a whole,------A little car show , here and there, that most of us never hear about ¿¿¿

I think you hit the point. Even there is lot of old classic cars in Skandinavia still there are only thousands or few ten thousand of them. Lets say there is few hundreds FL cars in Finland (at least less than one thousand if you calculate all models and projects) There is about 15.000 old cars in the museum car registry (all marks and models 1890-1981) Perhaps another 15 or 30 thousand cars wich are not.
Now comparing to new car sales figures for 2008 wich is about 180.000 cars these few hundred FL or few thousand old american cars really small amount. There are little more than 1 million cars on the rod in Finland, Perhaps more then 2 million in Sweden.
In fact if you walked down the street in Stockholm or Helsinki some ordinary day, you dont see old classic cars anywhere if it was´nt summer week end or some special occasion.

When there are about 22 million cars heading to freeways every morning in California, how can you notice few hundred classics there? Or if there was about same ammount of FL cars in Germany than there is in Finland. Germany has cars and sells new cars about 20 times more than Finland.

Its all math! comparing these figures FL and old classic cars are most popular in Scandinavia of whole world

Exspecially Swedes should be very proud of their high quality of workmanship and restorations.

By the way, there was more of this same topic and raggare-culture elsewhere here at the discussion forums

Edited by Adventurer 60 2007-12-31 7:33 AM
spinout
Posted 2007-12-31 9:16 AM (#109086 - in reply to #108988)

So, not just the amount, but the average density of old classic cars is greater here than wider places in the western world, so the chance to spot them in one place is better.. You said there are little more than 1 million cars on the road in Finland. Wrong, the correct amount is over 2 times higher, 2.4 million cars (source: The Statistic Center). Swedes have also always known what they want and they have built a wide network in the USA during years to find cars what they want. No wondering why there are so many scarce models in Sweden.
1960ny
Posted 2007-12-31 10:15 AM (#109100 - in reply to #108988)

Extreme Veteran

First of all the forward look cars are not so common in Sweden, the General Motors cars are a lot more popular here. Specially 57-60 Cadillacs. About one FL car to every ten GM cars is the proportion of cars that are here.
American cars have been popular here since the 60´s and swedes have frequently seeked USA for cars to import.
Here in Sweden we have long and dark winters, so people have turned to restoring cars as a hobby here in general not just american cars.

Jorgen
wizard
Posted 2007-12-31 12:52 PM (#109114 - in reply to #108988)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Sweden is the most Americanized country in the world, followed closely by USA! That's is the main core of it. We have always loved the American way here in Sweden - could be due to the many emigrants that we had and that we heard that some of them managed real well. The American car stood for it all - design totally without purpose, success, power and glamour. That was the common thing for all the American cars! Then there was THE CHRYSLERS!!!!! They where always more upon more, the factory custom, the bankers hot rod, the totally insanely beautiful lines of the Forward looks. Everybody want's a Chrysler deep down inside, but they are hard to find, expensive, hard to find parts, full with special designs and functions that where outstanding then and now. That makes the CHRYSLER products a car for the real car lovers, the bread inside the bread. This in my opinion is why we have so many FL's and Chrysler products in Scandinavia. Anyone could restore a Chebby or a FRRRD - they're the Volkswagen of America - kick any goddarned bush and a 327 V 8 will fall out of it, rustle a tree and 14 fenders for 57 Chebby will fall down on you - they could be nice cars as a starter, but the Chryslers is the real deal.
56royaldodge
Posted 2007-12-31 2:10 PM (#109125 - in reply to #109114)

Account deactivated by owner's request

There are a lot of people in the US who collect and restore old Volvos because they are safe and well-made, but also surprisingly easy to work on. I own an 86 240 which is one of my all time favorite cars. After working on it I have a lot of respect for the quality produced by a Swedish based company.

Most die-hard Volvo fans won't touch them after Ferd acquired the car division ...
1959Dodge
Posted 2007-12-31 2:14 PM (#109128 - in reply to #109125)

Expert

You are probably correct about Volvos after Ferd took over, I mean who wants a Valcon, or a Vunderthird, or a Vustang?
1959Dodge
Posted 2007-12-31 2:27 PM (#109130 - in reply to #109114)

Expert

You are correct about the Chebbies, Cads, Ferds etc outnumbering the Mopars (Chrysler Products)
I am in the process of Converting a DVD (Pal), that my friend , Borje got from Sweden, to NTSC, so he can play it on his DVD Player.
The DVD player in my 59 will actually play the DVD as will my computer, but his DVD player won't and either will the DVD player built into this Sharp TV that I use as a cmptr monitor.The DVD is called "Wheels" TRÄFF-DVD 2007.
It has the following shows on it, "Wheels Nat's Winter", "Wheels Nat's Nor", "Heron Hill", "Lindesberg", "Sala Crusising", "American Car Show", "Vinsta", "Power Big Meet", "Barkarby", & "RÄTTVIK Classic Car Week".
Perhaps you have been to some of these shows?, at any rate, like you said, Mostly Chebbies , Ferds, etc.

Later I will try to get the still pictures of the Mopars out of the DVD and post them on this site.

In the meanwhile , we all owe a lotta thanks to Vedette for posting the great Pictures.

Gary
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)