The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving to England
Moderators: Ian, Rebels-59

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> United Kingdom RegionMessage format

Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 2:04 PM (#125355)
Subject: Moving to England

Inactive by Request

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know, I was moving to NZ but due my mothers medical problems she's not accepted there. That was a major set back, but I try to keep a positive attitude.

Therefore today I made an agreement of an apartment at Bury St. Edmunds and will be there on this Saturday. To get more local FL friends I would like to join a club and meet other car owners - anyone of you from there? Within few weeks I should have my Sierra there as well, so would be nice to see your cars as well.

Does anyone know any storage options at East Anglia?

Thanks,

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-14 2:06 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2008-04-14 3:40 PM (#125372 - in reply to #125355)
Subject: Re: Moving to England

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Hey Cedric - you're almost a globetrotter by now! Cheer up man here's a song for you; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7Xs9WVNBU
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 4:17 PM (#125379 - in reply to #125372)

Inactive by Request

Hehe, thanks for the music - I always liked Beach Boys!! I get around... around... !! What was that car, Alvis??

I have a YouTube link, which is showing "Finnish Sisu", this is the attitude I use when I face some difficulties in life!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L-j2K3w0i8

(The words used are mostly all Finnish curse words!!!)

Never give up! Thats the Finnish Sisu!

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-14 4:22 PM
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-14 6:51 PM (#125402 - in reply to #125355)

Cedric ,, Check the Other Thread for a Reply,,

http://forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18160&post...

Where are you going to be Working, As Bury St Edmonds ain,t got a Coast .. You will be in Suffolk, I am in Norfolk the Next County north and Not too Far,, there,s Felixstowe , Yarmouth , lowestoft or Clacton Close( ish ) to there..
I told you to send the Sierra to me when you asked about Importing it, Small World Huh...............

Regards Clive
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 7:19 PM (#125419 - in reply to #125355)

Inactive by Request

Yes, Norfolk is bit higher (been there, spying those Lotus'es, and I can remember buying an XJS from Southend-on-Sea around 1994... I've been everywhere at Suffolk & Norfolk, love the area!

You are correct - the world is small! In here, the deepest Schwartzwald I've been living in a guesthouse up on a mountain hill, in real countryside - one day the owners sister comes and tells she's living at Bury St. Edmunds and I can't believe she's from there, so close to Sudbury. Now she helped me to find the apartment, and I'm coming back to UK! But funny, how we can meet "close" people in so strange places, even internet

Yes, I would love to have a sea view, I thought I get this first apartment just to get inside to UK. Usually there's a big hassle with the referencies etc., but with the help of a friend no paperwork was needed. Eventually you can find me from the coastline, but at least its already much closer compared to where I'm now So you do M.O.T. work right or...? Tell me more?!

Btw, I registered my first company in Sudbury on 1993. And since 2002 I've been running my limited company there.

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-14 7:26 PM
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-14 7:34 PM (#125428 - in reply to #125419)

I am in Wymondham Norfolk, About 40 Miles from Bury..

I do All M.O.T work and Obtain the Certificate , So you only need a Insurance paper and full out the registration Form,along with the Custom Form and title, pay DVLA £50 and hey presto you are Good to Go,, You get FREE road tax,, I have seen how Clean the Car is, and for the M.O.T you can keep All Original Lights ( yes Red indicators on rear and White on front ) , No added Lights Needed, No seat belts , No Emissions, I can Do ALL the MOT for you if needed... You can have the Car Back the Same Day.. ( if you re-fit the Tank )

Do you still have the Front Clip ( 59 dodge ).. If so bring it with you..

I Imported and registered both of mine myself, So the registration documents show the cars as 1 owner in this Country.. I have a 59 Dodge Custom Coronet and a 59 Chrysler Windsor ( spring special )

Edited by Rebels-59 Coronet 2008-04-14 7:36 PM
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 7:56 PM (#125437 - in reply to #125428)

Inactive by Request

Yes, we definately make a deal regarding the M.O.T. for my Sierra! I'm sure the car will pass any inspection, it was already prepared for the bloody German Tüv. When I got sure I'm leaving Germany, I ripped away all the annoying modifications I had to make!

I guess the insurance part is no problem, one call to Footman James and thats it? I have several military vehicles, motorbike and one old Range Rover I want to insure, so I guess they are good choice when you have multiple, different types of vehicles. I'm a walking/dancing M.O.T. and Insurance Cover cash machine

I have all the customs papers from Netherlands, and they were enough for the Germans. Actually I have a lot of paper I have to start looking for options how to get the car to UK, I have too much stuff to move myself I rather get it transported on a truck than drive with the trade plates. Another problem is the garage, where to store it. That actually is one of the bad points in UK - the garage's are made for Reliant Robins

The 59-front clip seems to be on everyone's shopping list... Let see, they are still in Finland and I have at least one Finnish guy who wants them (haven't seen them yet). They are not perfect, the steel is good but the chrome is dull. I anyway have to make one trip to Finland before the summer, to collect a 5500kg trailer for my military truck plus a lot of parts. So in case I still have the 59 parts, I bring them with me.

I'm looking forward on seeing your cars, its kind of a spring special to see them

EDIT: Do you have a "real" M.O.T. station? I ask you because I actually have more than one car. I will propably have some problems with my Sisu trucks (manufacturing years 1976-1977, so no tax excemptions), they look like this (notice no fenders from the factory, the headlamps close together) - but they have been road registered by the army. I don't want to make any changes, just get them through inspections as they originally were... Gross Weight 8800kg and for private use.

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-14 8:12 PM
Diesel45
Posted 2008-04-14 11:36 PM (#125476 - in reply to #125355)
Subject: RE: Moving to England

Expert

Hey Cedric, you will find a warm welcome awaits you on your arrival, you will be settling in a nice part of our Country.. I'm sure Mitch ( '59 Fury ) from Ipswich will give you some pointers on car clubs/ meets in your general area. The only thing you will have to master ( apart from our wondeful Tax system ) is the way they speak in that part of the land.. For instance, you will hear them refer to a DeSoto as a "DeeSootoo" and don't forget to add the word " boy " on the end of every sentence you speak. Thus, if you are a cigarette smoker, you must learn to ask " Ev yew godda loight boy?"
I was up there last weekend visiting Furiousbassman, and he mugged me £100 for four bald tyres....
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-15 6:13 AM (#125520 - in reply to #125476)

Inactive by Request

Thanks, boy! I already learned garage is said more like "carriage" I'm sure I'll be enjoying my time, and I already know the tax system... (its not that bad!). I'm not quite sure how I manage there with my Dodge, I bet I'll be driving very slowly. If Clive is quick with my Sierra's M.O.T. we will likely meet in one of the first happenings

Guess I have to look from the calendar and see what your country has to offer, oh boy!

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-15 6:15 AM
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-15 5:32 PM (#125600 - in reply to #125476)
Subject: RE: Moving to England

Diesel45 - 2008-04-15 4:36 AM

I was up there last weekend visiting Furiousbassman, and he mugged me £100 for four bald tyres....

You Miserable Old Focker.. So you travelled all the way to Norfolk and didn,t let me Know.. I would of arranged to meet up, Hell you could of came over and seen the 59,s... Now i am glad you got Mugged by the bassman for a Second time,,,, LOL
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-15 5:38 PM (#125601 - in reply to #125437)

Sisu - 2008-04-15 12:56 AM

Do you have a "real" M.O.T. station? I ask you because I actually have more than one car. I will propably have some problems with my Sisu trucks (manufacturing years 1976-1977, so no tax excemptions), they look like this (notice no fenders from the factory, the headlamps close together) - but they have been road registered by the army. I don't want to make any changes, just get them through inspections as they originally were... Gross Weight 8800kg and for private use.

Cedric,, I have my Own Garage and Work Solo, I do ALL M.O.T work and take the Vehicle for the test, But I know them Exremely well.. Normally with American Cars or any thing Different , The testers normally ask Me for the Rules,,LOL ... Do you know what M.O.T Class the Miltary Motors come Under, I can find out from the Station... Once the Wagon is over Here, i can have it M.O.Ted the same day.. So you can use it 3 days later after registration... Both the cars are Simple to sort out..
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-15 6:13 PM (#125609 - in reply to #125601)

Inactive by Request

Clive, that sounds very good, you just found a good, loyal customer - just don't mug me to death I actually have a total of six cars, and first I would like to register:

1 x 1957 Sier... well you know, the black funeral vehicle
1 x 1988 Range Rover 3.5 V8 (thats my daily driver, LPG conversion could be a good idea, hehe), its an ex-Swiss Goverment car and has a recent German Tüv so I'm quite sure this car will pass ANYTHING, LOL!!
1 x 1976 Sisu AH-45 (the military truck)
...and in few months there will be one more Sisu to register and one big trailer for it. I also have almost new motorbike, Honda CBR-1100 XX Super Blackbird (I didn't invent the name and couldn't afford a Harley), but I think its best I sell it away here - I can't afford the high insurance costs in the UK.

But I need space first! Therefore, I'm currently looking for industrial unit to rent, I will most likely look something from closer the sea. I have noticed Norfolk Area is welcoming new companies there - so I'm quite sure I'll be there looking for the options. My opinion is, Bury St. Edmunds is great first location since its close to everything.

Btw, I'm coming to East Anglia on this weekend with a rental van, but I just have time unloading my personal stuff in my apartment and drive back - also I have to pick a pair of laser communication devices from Huntingdon (don't ask). I'm still not sure how I'll be transporting my Sierra to UK, I could get so called "red plates", but still its over 500 miles trip with a car I only have 60 miles driving experience. I rather would have it transported. Anyway, schedule is "within 2-3 weeks.."

Btw, earlier I mentioned I bought an XJS on 1993-1994 from Southend-on-Sea, not true - it was Clacton-on-Sea!

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-15 6:17 PM
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-17 4:12 PM (#125994 - in reply to #125355)

Inactive by Request

Clive,

today I made the M.O.T. process one step easier for you. Yesterday I received a call from the local Tv Center and they said they were really sorry I have had to wait for a so long time and make three trips for nothing. They reserved a time for the Historic Inspection for today, and althought they found some problems with the car they gave me "OK" with a smile! Now they are doing the hardwork to make the European Papers for the car, and this will make the registration in UK really easy. I did the inspection here, so I can drive the car to UK and don't have to use temporary plates... Big surprise was, they actually registered the car for 9 persons. This was based on the information I showed from the original 1957 Wagon's brochure.

I'm really surprised they agreed everything I said. They found one or two loose joints from the front, and many cracked/dry bushings (needless to say I will replace them later). But as they felt bad they had already used one month of my time, they said they will let it through. They took photos of the car for the database and later came out just in time to see me taking the E1-approved temporary reflectors away and installing the hood chrome on (I had to take it off for the inspection). They had no problems with it because the inspection was over. I told them, I want to drive the car as it left the factory and don't want to follow some of these stupid EC regulations. It was very positive experience, and they all were waiwing me when I left.

Cedric
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-18 2:04 PM (#126156 - in reply to #125994)

So you only Getting Temperary Tags to Drive the Dodge Here... I believe If you are a Resident of the UK , You can drive it Home Only, BUT if you are a Visitor, I think you can drive it for 6 Months on those Plates..
But in Any Case, PUT everything back on the Dodge that had to be removed and any Crap you had to put ON , Take Off.. As here in the UK, The Car can be as it left the Factory from the USA.. And STILL pass our M.O.T ............

When you gonna bring the Car Over Cedric to the UK..
56royaldodge
Posted 2008-04-18 4:17 PM (#126169 - in reply to #125994)

Account deactivated by owner's request

Those two loose joints they found in the front - were they still lit or burning? Maybe thats why they were in such a good mood and let the car pass!
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-21 3:53 PM (#126566 - in reply to #125355)

Inactive by Request

I today arrived from my quick trip to UK. Its always a surprise how much traffic there is - but as I was only prepared to see normal Vauxhalls, Bmw's etc. nothing prepared for me seeing so many classic cars! After the Channel Tunnel the first car I saw driving in front of me was a 50's Bentley! I immediately felt like at home I saw so many other classic others, although no 50's Americans it really made this trip worthwile.

Of course nothing went as planned, as the landlord who's Greek started playing games - but as I'm bit of a hard ball (ie. eat iron and s**t steel chain) I'm not so easy to trick. So I had to leave all my stuff at Self Storage in Colchester and cancel all agreements with him, and continue looking for an apartment. But I guess this will not be a problem, at least all my stuff is waiting for me there! I'm happy, and returning back in around one week to continue the search, anyway it'll be East Anglia or Norfolk. I went to Clacton to breath the sea air, and yes - I want my business and apartment close to the sea shore, no doubt about it!

Rebels-59-Dodge, no I got real historic plates for the Dodge! But it doesn't matter, it only makes it easy to drive to UK until I have the M.O.T. and other papers done. I think its good the Germans are doing the paperwork, since they are known to be very accurate and formal - I'm sure in UK those papers will pass any inspection! I already put everything back, like it was when new - except the front lights, I have to find another sealed beam front light, since the right one is playing tricks with me.

56royaldodge, you are talking joints or f.a.g.s? In England if you talk about f.a.g.s, you are actually talking of queens! Oh, this language makes me crazy! I was talking about ball joints, axial rods, tie-end rods, track-control arms, link stabilizers, wishbone arms, pitmans arms/idler arms, drag links/center rods, tie-rod assemblies, CV chassis parts... !!!

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-21 3:56 PM
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-22 7:19 PM (#126783 - in reply to #126566)

Sisu - 2008-04-21 8:53 PM

I already put everything back, like it was when new - except the front lights, I have to find another sealed beam front light, since the right one is playing tricks with me.

Cedric.. I can get the Front Sealed Beam Lights Locally.. But you will have to fit a Pair,, I recently had a Low Beam blow on the 59 Chrysler , But the English lights Dip the opposite way , As we drive on the Wrong side of the Road.. They are Cheap , So it isn,t a Problem.. Some M.O.T Stations make you Change the Headlights Anyway.. But The Station i Use Don,t have a problem with them..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)