The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brown sludge in coolant
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

55DesDome
Posted 2008-12-05 6:28 PM (#154500)
Subject: Brown sludge in coolant

I finally replaced the bad radiator in the car, new thermostat, system flush, and added and aftermarket temp gauge to see how things were running. I popped the cap to see how the coolant level looked and I have a brown sludge everywhere, it looks like melted chocolate. I fear a head gasket issue unless anyone else has any ideas?

Also, if the car sits and idles the temp gets up to 170ish. Once on the road going faster than 40 the temp plummets to 120-140. This is on a 55 Firedome with the original 291 motor.

Dan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2008-12-05 8:39 PM (#154512 - in reply to #154500)
Subject: Re: Brown sludge in coolant

Expert

If the coolant was in there for a long time that sludge is expected, you will need a good flush to get as much out of the cooling system as possible, don't forget to run the flush thru the heater core in the process.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2008-12-05 8:56 PM (#154515 - in reply to #154500)
Subject: RE: Brown sludge in coolant

Wise Old Village Idiot

55DesDome - 2008-12-05 6:28 AM

I finally replaced the bad radiator in the car, new thermostat, system flush,

Dan

Does that include back flushing the heater core, with the heater hoses removed from the motor ?

Also does that mean you took out BOTH, block drain plugs, and back, and power flushed the block?

That 'brown mud' in cooling systems is old A'freeze/coolent/stopleak/ect, left in the system too long!

Cooling systems should be dissasembled and back flushed and new A'freeze every two years. How many people do that? Hardly none.

CORRECT way to back flush a colling sys, is partially like you did, remove as much as possible, no w'pump or t'stat on the block. Both block pugs out, stick a water hose with as much pressure as possible, including some air pressure, in ALL holes!
Where both heater hoses went into the block, where the water pump went in the heads/block, in both of the block drain plugs.

Same way with the heater core, in and out several times in both hoses.
Then only after several times both ways, untill you get clear water, blow as much air in each hole aspossible, then high pressure hose again!

Mix your A'freeze with distilled water, 50/50, or 60/40 A'freeze to water.

Since you installed a new rad before flushing the rest of the sys clean, you need to take the rad to a shop and have them boil all of that 'mud' out that is in there now.
Even remove your heater core and have the shop boil it out now.
59CRL
Posted 2008-12-06 8:43 AM (#154550 - in reply to #154500)
Subject: RE: Brown sludge in coolant

Expert

Sounds like my ride.... sounds like the old coolant sat in the engine for a long time, you need to flush really good, might have to pop the freeze out plugs and flush the engine with the water hose through the freeze out plug holes..... maybe stick a plumbers snake in there.... LOL... J/K..... that what I need to do with mine, or just strip the darn block and have it hot tanked.... anyway flush real good and see what happens.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)