The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

windlace falling out? My fix-it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2008-08-05 4:00 PM (#140438)
Subject: windlace falling out? My fix-it.

Expert

Hello.
I have a 1960 plymouth with 80000 and it has the original windlace trim around the doors. The paper has rotten off and the windlace is falling out, hanging down. I looked for a replacement or repair. I saw a couple of cars with the same problem. A couple had glued them back up but looked bad, some tried aftermarket. Some looked good, but i am on a low budget and this is what i tried last year and it is still working well. I took some larger/ sturdier paper clips and poked them through the windlace about the area where the paper was sewn in. I bent them[in no particular shape or order] in several different directions and then carefully pushed them into the slot. I used a thin, narrow puddy knife. I found that the worse the shapes the better they caught. They caught something up in there and i pushed them in until the pulled the windlace up and in and tight. I spaced them every couple inches. Now I have nice tight, factory looking windlaces and for nothing but a bunch of paper clips and an hour for all four doors. This is not a professional job, but it looks great and is a very simple solution before you bail on the old ones and no one will know but you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rodger
Posted 2008-08-05 8:25 PM (#140461 - in reply to #140438)
Subject: RE: windlace falling out? My fix-it.

Expert

Karl

You can make your own version of good looking "wind lace" by getting the rope part from most local sewing shops and then folding the clothe part over it and to be sewn together.

Some car fabric shops use the windlace material as the same material of the roof material and the sun visior material.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)