The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what to do if your FL catches on fire
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

bad58mike
Posted 2009-09-15 6:50 PM (#188997)
Subject: what to do if your FL catches on fire

Elite Veteran

I know this is a strange topic but I was wondering what I could do in the god awful event my car catches fire for whatever reason by either electrical or gas leak failure. Is there anything I could do to save the car? I carry a large fire extinguisher in the car at all times. Also what are some good preventative meausures I can do to prevent engine fire. I know that some of the obvious things to do is make sure electrical wires are in good shape and making sure fuel lines are not leaking. Anyhow random nightmare I had but any insight would help. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
B/G 61
Posted 2009-09-15 6:55 PM (#188998 - in reply to #188997)
Subject: RE: what to do if your FL catches on fire

Expert

Fire extinguisher is a good call - make sure you don't have any oil on the block anywhere from leaks - PRAY it never catches on fire !!!
dukeboy
Posted 2009-09-15 7:12 PM (#189001 - in reply to #188997)
Subject: Re: what to do if your FL catches on fire

Expert 5K+

Turn it in to your insurance? No, seriously Mike, I'd run one of those quick disconnects on the pos. side of the battery so you can unhook the car at night and when in storage...
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2009-09-15 7:19 PM (#189002 - in reply to #188997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Make sure ALL of yer rubber fuel line components, are up-graded to withstand this 10% or E-85 feces!

This newer gas, will 'eat' older, neoprene and similiar rubber.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2009-09-15 7:28 PM (#189004 - in reply to #188997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

,,,,,,,,NUTS! Forgot!

"Cooter's" right on the battery disconnect thing!

I only went to the work of installing a switch on one car. (hard to get GM side post) Otherwise, I just untwist one of the battery cables. I even un-do the lawn mower.

Most vehicle 'fars' happen when a electrial component shorts out. (You can stop flip that swithch or twist off a battery cable) Or a transmission line or fuel line ruptures and sprays on the hot motor/exhaust Those little 1 pounders or less, you get at the parts store, are not really big enough.

lawrence
Posted 2009-09-15 8:22 PM (#189011 - in reply to #188997)

Expert

I also agree on disconnecting the battery when parked. Old car. If you smell gas, it's too much some where.
1959Dodge
Posted 2009-09-15 8:27 PM (#189014 - in reply to #188997)

Expert

Some car fires have been started by a lean mixture, usually in the morning on 1st start up. Make sure your choke is working correctly, don't jab the gas pedal till she warms up and make sure if you do not have a stock aircleaner--or in your case air cleaners--that they are the type that will lessen a chance of fire due to a backfire from the carb, (the cheapie unsilenced air cleaners,like the ones on my car do not do a good job of "Containing a carb backfire). Always make sure there is no gas anywhere around the carb. If the engine should backfire start it straightway as this will help keep the flame sucked inside the carb and aircleaner.

Gary

PS Show in Orange Thursday!!!!
1959Dodge
Posted 2009-09-15 8:52 PM (#189020 - in reply to #188997)

Expert

Course by now , you are wondering "How do I know if the choke is set correctly"---so here goes!

First a little lesson on how the choke and it's associated parts works(IE fast idle).
When the engine is cold, the choke will try to close-but it can't (all the way) why?, -because of the fast idle cam linkage on the carb. It is a little cam shaped thing, that has it's own adjustable screw that comes to rest on it--so you can adjust the "cold fast idle". The adjustable screw can not climb over that little cam, unless You depress the accelerator pedal---(OK ya got that) so first thing ya do, before even turn on the key is step down, at least half way on the accelerator pedal--this allows the choke to fully close and the preset fast idle to be activated.
Now take your foot OFF the gas pedal. If everything is set correctly the engine will start immediately and idle a bit faster than normal. If the car has been sitting for a few day, you may need to pump it a time or 2(dont crank while you are doing this) pump a couple times, take foot off the accelerator pedal and crank it--should start straightaway. If it's been sitting a long time--week or so, just crank the engine, foot off the gas, for 15 seconds or so, stop cranking, take foot off pedal, crank her and she should start.

So anyway, after all "this" if choke is set correctly as well as fast idle, engine will start and run with you foot off the gas and will not try to quit on you. If it starts chugging and blowing black smoke choke is set to rich, choke "Pulloff" is not working, or of you have an electric choke the heater in it is not working--could be a bad heater or a bad connection.

Most backfires occur when you are cranking the engine with the accelerator depressed----now granted if the engine is flooded you have to do that--and obviously,of course, we dont have a lean mixture. Safest way is to start the engine with your foot off the pedal--cept for flooded engine, as mentioned above.

Gary

Edited by 1959Dodge 2009-09-15 8:54 PM
safetymike77
Posted 2009-09-15 9:05 PM (#189022 - in reply to #188997)

Expert

Make sure fluids prone to combustion are in good quality hoses. This includes power steering, transmission, oil and fuel. Make sure hoses are routed away from things that could chafe them or abrade them, causing leaks. Make sure exhaust systems are in good shape and a proper distance away from anything flammable. Make sure electrical wires are in good shape. Protect them where necessary, and if you move them for whatever reason, check them to ensure there are no cracks in the insulation. Master shut off is a great idea. I recommend one that is remote operable... i.e. you don't have to open the hood to do it. You need at least a 20 pound fire extinguisher to put any fire out. CO2 work better, as they create less mess, but they are less forgiving, i.e., you have to be more accurate on your aim. Opening the hood is not always a good idea, as if you can feed CO2 through the grill or under the car, you can smother a fire out often times, while with the hood open, there is more airflow which can increase the speed of combustion. If you have an older car, rewire it so fuses are in each circuit, and only go as big as you need to run what is on the circuit. Also, make sure the wires are the appropriate size for the current moving through it.
1959Dodge
Posted 2009-09-15 9:18 PM (#189027 - in reply to #188997)

Expert

Good advice too safety mike, also make sure they are not routed close to exaust manifold. I had a power steering hose melt-----seller had routed it right next to the exaust manifold---yet in 4 years never had a problem, till I was "Running down" Aivar's 58 Regal---He had the pedal to the medal----after maybe 10 miles whole inside of car was filled with smoke and smoke pouring out from under the car---I was really lucky it didnt catch fire, as unlike Mikey (LOL) I still dont have a fire extinguisher. Anyway watch the routing and the quality of those hoses as Safety Mike Mentions- and Yea I'm gonna get a fire extinguisher.
sparky7
Posted 2009-09-16 11:36 AM (#189085 - in reply to #189027)

Elite Veteran

Consider installing a fuel shut off valve near the tank, where you can reach it easily. (also does double duty as a theft prevention device).

And to help prevent a fire: If you have an electric fuel pump make sure it is set to deliver the proper line pressure. Never park over dry grass, leaves etc.

And I gotta get me a new PS hose.

Sparky
bad58mike
Posted 2009-09-16 11:49 AM (#189088 - in reply to #188997)
Subject: RE: what to do if your FL catches on fire

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm definetly going through my engine department now that I have my own garage, guess I'll just start from the obvious and work my way through it
safetymike77
Posted 2009-09-16 8:50 PM (#189189 - in reply to #189085)

Expert

sparky7 - 2009-09-16 10:36 AM

Consider installing a fuel shut off valve near the tank, where you can reach it easily. (also does double duty as a theft prevention device).

And to help prevent a fire: If you have an electric fuel pump make sure it is set to deliver the proper line pressure. Never park over dry grass, leaves etc.

And I gotta get me a new PS hose.

Sparky

Real smart to do is also to put in a tilt switch... shuts off the fuel pump if you roll the car or tip it.
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-16 8:55 PM (#189192 - in reply to #188997)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

And, hope to Hell-O that you've got Comprehensive insurance coverage on your car.

Funny, now that the economy's gone to Hades, a lot of (insured) cars are catching on fire, or getting stolen (and then getting torched).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)