The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VIN tags
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

w.weiland
Posted 2009-08-17 8:48 PM (#185460)
Subject: VIN tags

Expert

Tell me where can you get a VIN tag so you can get a title for specfic car.
Wayne
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2009-08-17 9:33 PM (#185466 - in reply to #185460)
Subject: RE: VIN tags

You are going to have to describe the situation further with your car for us to help you.  Did it come from a salvage yard?  Did the original VIN tag rust off the door hinge pillar?  Did the seller not provide you with a title when you bought the car?  And what state are you in because state laws vary and are going to have to be adhered to wherever you are.  There is a lot to consider here depending on some more facts.
w.weiland
Posted 2009-08-18 7:23 AM (#185495 - in reply to #185466)

Expert

OK, here the reason. One of the members on this board has parts from a 59 Desoto convertible ( no tags no numbers no title) He also has a 59 Saratoga doner car to "make a convertible"( has paperwork for this one, including title?) I live in Ohio, where you need a title for everything.
The thing is, if I am to spend time, effort and$$ in building a convertible, I would like tags and title to represent what I would now have. I do not want title to say 59 Saratoga "convertible" Thats why.
Wayne
StillOutThere
Posted 2009-08-18 9:10 AM (#185507 - in reply to #185495)

This isn't an easy situation.  I'm not familiar with OH law and maybe someone on here that is will comment.  I'd suggest you find someone in law enforcement that will be friendly that you can speak to "off the record" that can give you suggestions as to how to handle this without committing you to a plan of action.  There are cops that are car guys that walk around car shows because they like cars too - see if you can bend one's ear for 10 minutes.  That's one thought.

Another concern: Is one of the parts from the convertible a good convertible frame?   Converts had a very heavy X-member frame for rigidity and without it you really can't build a convertible because building on a coupe or sedan frame yields a flexible flyer that will not hold up.    ALSO, the frame carries the "hidden number" that is used by law enforcement should the car get stolen to verify the VIN number of the car.   When you go to title this new construction, under OH law, they may want to see that number so it may have to match the VIN you will have on your door hinge pillar.

There are many horror stories of professional shops that have built cars from convertible parts along the lines of the project you are describing.  They have led to huge law suits either directly for the seller immediately or for the reseller later or the auction houses that handled the cars if they became big money cars.   We heard about all the high dollar ones.  I suppose the low dollar ones had equal problems on a smaller scale because of lesser dollars.   So this is a word of real CAUTION.   If you can't do this RIGHT AND LEGAL, then I'm suggesting it probably really isn't worth the trouble, because no matter how much you would like to have a convertible now, eventually you will need to sell it. 

w.weiland
Posted 2009-08-18 11:27 AM (#185520 - in reply to #185460)
Subject: Re: VIN tags

Expert

Everything you brought up, is the VERY same thoughts and concerns I already had. Sometimes its better to hear from someone else that has the same thoughts
Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)