The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1957 300C Ypsilanti MI
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-21 11:31 AM (#189658)
Subject: 1957 300C Ypsilanti MI

My father in law has owned this car since 1963.( Correction..Since 1970) Now it's time to restore it....Again

This time it got a Gary Goers interior, And new enamel paint.

Here are all the interior shots. Some from the shop and some from my front yard.

The interior work ran around 7K. 5k for the materials and 2 for the install.

[IMG]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/72/photo0131i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1880/photo0132m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2135/photo0798.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/262/photo0133.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/963/photo0797.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4426/photo0796.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6756/photo0795.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7695/photo0794.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7095/photo0799a.jpg[/IMG]

And a few exterior.

[IMG]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2807/photo0810.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/916/photo0807s.jpg[/IMG]

Ok now for the reason I joined. My Father in Law is Duane Debutts , One of three founding members of the Chryslerr 300 Club of Amoerica. His mobility is poor so that god his daughter married a "wrench" :D

I am looking for advice,information and guidance on how to care for the car and what I need to live with.

I can do anything to my EFI Crown Vic. From brakes to rear end work.

This drum and cap/rotor is a whole new thing.

Today I had a great scenario come up, The car just died at a gas station. While running ... Like it got turned off.

Well with the help of a piece of cardboard between the point ( 1 of 2 ) we made it home. This lead to my first point gap check. .015 is what he suggested. And my feeler gauge dragged a very slight amount so I was satisfied with that

I also traced as I learned about the 12v path of travel on its way to be 20,000 volts. I cut off a melted,un jacketed,poorly wired ignition switch wire to the ballast resistor. I then replaced the 12v to the coil from the ballast resistor ( static suppressor) . I checked my voltage at the battery 12.47 then checked the burn ignition wire and got 12.43 so this satisfied me. I then OHM tested the wire from the resistor to the coil and got 000.2 . So I feel the wire is good.

Today just ROCKED. I really enjoy it when a new thing breaks. I love learning new things and now I feel WAY more comfortable working on this part of the car.

Well I just can't believe you read all that

Thanks guys for whatever you can show me around here.

The only problem I see with this resto, Is that my FIL doesnt always see the need to swap parts that arent broken. Now I have no desire to rebuild the whole car, But he has was too many " One time I blew a hose" or "One time I broke a belt" stories for my taste. I think a good PM course of action will ensure proper function for years.

Email notification of replies enabled.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-21 11:34 AM (#189659 - in reply to #189658)
Subject: RE: 1957 300C Ypsilanti MI

Lets try those pictures again...
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-21 11:37 AM (#189660 - in reply to #189658)
Subject: Re: 1957 300C Ypsilanti MI

Oops..Picture fail... Need a hand.
StillOutThere
Posted 2009-09-21 1:34 PM (#189674 - in reply to #189658)

Here are two of the pics of the DeButt's 300C.

(photo0810.jpg)

(photo0807s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo0810.jpg (176KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments photo0807s.jpg (209KB - 94 downloads)
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2009-09-21 6:37 PM (#189693 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

Here you go...

AKA_Rizzo - 2009-09-21 11:31 AM

And a few exterior.

Fanbladeus
Posted 2009-09-21 9:27 PM (#189716 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

Is this the 300C that I saw on Woodward this year? It also looks like the one that made it up to Pampas about 10 years back. Just curious to see how many are running around here.
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-22 1:21 AM (#189725 - in reply to #189658)

HUGE THANKS TO THOSE TWO GENTLEMAN ! .. I am used to Imageshack and UBB threads. Posting is easy everywhere else.

Sadly this car has not moved in many years. It was not at either event.

According to the C3CI there are only 200 drivable left. Lets say they missed a hundred for 300 drivable left :D

I am going out this saturday to do a electronic fuel pump, The water pump, Coolant hoses and one more thing I have forgotten. ANYONE who wishes to share a beer with Doc or I while I am out there is MORE than welcome. Please let me know if you want to come out and I will give you directions.

I do not in anyway mean to sound grumpy or ungrateful towards this experience but it's getting a little old being the only one turning wrenches on it. And with Doc's health and mobility ,It's always me alone in the garage.

But this whole summer has given me so much more than the car, It's given me experience points. I never understood the whole cap and rotor system til last weekend..Things like that...

imopar380
Posted 2009-09-22 3:52 PM (#189766 - in reply to #189658)

Expert 5K+

Don't want to nit pick but that rear seat cushion bottom upholstery looks a little too wrinkled up on the driver's side - and could wear quicikly with people sliding over it. Any plans to have the upholsterer correct that ?
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-22 3:56 PM (#189768 - in reply to #189766)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Also, you don't really want the leather to take a set, in that configuration.

I wonder, tho, how many 300's might have left the factory with seats looking like these guys?

Build quality WAS such a big-deal, back then, you know.

57burb
Posted 2009-09-22 6:06 PM (#189790 - in reply to #189725)

Expert

Rosario, I understand your desire to make this car a reliable driver again. However, PLEASE carefully consider what modern "remedies" for old car problems you choose to do. For example, all electric fuel pumps you will find are made in China. They are more unreliable than a quality mechanical fuel pump, and will either be unable to satisfy a 392 Hemi, or will be noisy as a vibrator.

Not to mention I consider an improperly installed electric fuel pump to be the most dangerous addition you can make to an old car. They are a big drain on the electrical system and any weak wires can burn up. If you run new wires, ensure they are fused properly. Control the pump using a solenoid connected to an oil pressure switch so that if the engine shuts off, so does the pump. If you have an underhood fire, you want to shut the engine off and not have the fuel pump still spraying fuel everywhere. And install rollover / impact protection so that in case you have an accident, the pump isn't leaking 20 gallons of fuel all over the place.

Or you could just get a $40 OEM fuel pump at Napa and have a few decades of trouble-free service.

I suggest going through the mechanical parts of the car. Remove the fuel tank and have it cleaned / boiled out. Blow out the steel fuel lines and replace the rubber hoses. Rebuild the carburetor. Rebuild the brakes and update the master cylinder to a late-60s dual-reservoir setup for safety. Install all new filters, hoses, and belts. Study and understand the points ignition, it is really very simple. And ALWAYS buy the oldest electrical parts you can find for the car, because they will be American made and will last.

That is a truly BEAUTIFUL car, a very valuable car, and as it's caretaker you need to be very careful that you are preserving it so that you and a future son-in-law can enjoy it.
imopar380
Posted 2009-09-22 6:58 PM (#189796 - in reply to #189658)

Expert 5K+

Last year I was at a WPC Meet and the owner of a 1978 New Yorker lost the car to an underhood fire because the electric fuel pump itself overheated. The pump was installed up near the engine, got vapor locked over heated, caught on fire. He could have avoided this with a replacement mechanical fuel pump from Napa, readily available for a 440 CI engine.
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-22 7:42 PM (#189800 - in reply to #189796)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

And the electric fuel pump kept on feeding the flames until its electrical connections got to be dis-connected.

AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-23 1:07 AM (#189828 - in reply to #189790)

imopar380 - 2009-09-22 3:52 PM

Don't want to nit pick but that rear seat cushion bottom upholstery looks a little too wrinkled up on the driver's side - and could wear quicikly with people sliding over it. Any plans to have the upholsterer correct that ?

d500neil - 2009-09-22 3:56 PM

Also, you don't really want the leather to take a set, in that configuration.

I wonder, tho, how many 300's might have left the factory with seats looking like these guys?

Build quality WAS such a big-deal, back then, you know.

Very observant of you guys......

Now which one of you volunteers to come and fix it ?

I thought so... Now STFU.

57burb - 2009-09-22 6:06 PM

Rosario, I understand your desire to make this car a reliable driver again. However, PLEASE carefully consider what modern "remedies" for old car problems you choose to do. For example, all electric fuel pumps you will find are made in China. They are more unreliable than a quality mechanical fuel pump, and will either be unable to satisfy a 392 Hemi, or will be noisy as a vibrator.

Not to mention I consider an improperly installed electric fuel pump to be the most dangerous addition you can make to an old car. They are a big drain on the electrical system and any weak wires can burn up. If you run new wires, ensure they are fused properly. Control the pump using a solenoid connected to an oil pressure switch so that if the engine shuts off, so does the pump. If you have an underhood fire, you want to shut the engine off and not have the fuel pump still spraying fuel everywhere. And install rollover / impact protection so that in case you have an accident, the pump isn't leaking 20 gallons of fuel all over the place.

Or you could just get a $40 OEM fuel pump at Napa and have a few decades of trouble-free service.

I suggest going through the mechanical parts of the car. Remove the fuel tank and have it cleaned / boiled out. Blow out the steel fuel lines and replace the rubber hoses. Rebuild the carburetor. Rebuild the brakes and update the master cylinder to a late-60s dual-reservoir setup for safety. Install all new filters, hoses, and belts. Study and understand the points ignition, it is really very simple. And ALWAYS buy the oldest electrical parts you can find for the car, because they will be American made and will last.

That is a truly BEAUTIFUL car, a very valuable car, and as it's caretaker you need to be very careful that you are preserving it so that you and a future son-in-law can enjoy it. :cool:

How did you find out my name ? Just curious not upset

The Carbs,Brakes and fuel lines have been done.

I had a vasectomy so there will be no future son in law

I also fully agree with avoiding anything made in China. I when possible purchase things made in the USA. Most times it costs more but that's ok..I will only need to buy it once. I DESPISE Harbor Freight and will not ever shop there.

Here is the #1 problem with how this car will go. Duane. It's his car ,He's paying for the parts and it's his call.

70% of what I have said fell on deaf ears for most of the summer. Only now has he finally got a "pile o parts" for me to actually to work on or put on.

I DO NOT like the elec fuel pump idea..But again it's his car...

I have strived for factory appearance and function but not a Grade 1 Concours car. I was met by "Well this works" .

I wont bore you or shock you with the electrical horrors I have found in and on this car. The old man was never an electrician by any means. But he does absolutely understand how everything works.

I got word tonight that Gill,Terry and Duane got together on Monday. They discussed the fuel pump and supposedly there is a manual pump at the house from another car but same block. So I hope to put that on Fri or Sat. I would like to remove the electric fuel pump completely but I see the two holes for the lines and figure it might as well stay there.

I am no wiring dummy. I have shrink tube and such for all the sending unit wiring and I have plans on making the fuel pump wiring safe. So please , Let's stop treating me like I'm some retard. It's unfair as none of you have ever worked next to or even talked to me in person.

Now I hope to get this all together before late Oct. Once it gets to be 35* or less..In an unheated garage I quit for the winter. Then my personal garage closes and I accept no more work there either.

Two last things about this car.

I have been told by a billion people how much it's worth.... I don't care. It's staying in the family. Chrysler to ? from ? to Bobby Dupins, From Bobby to Duane..From Duane to me and from me to Skyler. He's a 12 yr old nephew of my wifes. I married into this. Doreen is Duane's daughter.

Lastly, The car is going to be driven... Alot. It's Duane's wish to avoid the "Preciousness" of a Grade 1 car. Paint it, Ifx it and drive it from May to Sept. The reward for the work will not be the quality of the car as much as it will be the enjoyment of it.. That sounds right doesn't it.

Edited by AKA_Rizzo 2009-09-23 1:09 AM
57burb
Posted 2009-09-23 10:26 AM (#189843 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

Your name is part of your profile.

I never said you were a retard and I didn't realize I was coming across as putting you down. Only offering suggestions. It sounds like you've got your plan worked out. Good luck with the car.
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-23 10:55 AM (#189845 - in reply to #189658)

I just hope I can convince Duane to do the right things ,So by the end we will both be satisfied.
StillOutThere
Posted 2009-09-23 11:09 AM (#189847 - in reply to #189843)

AKA_Rizzo's entry to our group has pointed out some things really quickly and I'm glad to see Rizzo stand up to it.  

We can be very opinionated and judgemental and very directing of how we think a car ought to be worked on without giving a lot of thought or asking questions about what the owner or in this case the owner's family has in mind for the car.   It is a common practice here to go to the personal profile and pick up the person's actual name even though the person never publicly signed any post with his name.  We have screen names for a reason don't we?  If we wanted to use our personal, given names all over the internet, we would use them, but we don't.  Annonimity is in today's world is good.  When someone is new here it can feel like an intrusion.   Not every car has to be a points show car you guys.  A whole heck of a lot of people just want to keep them on the road and enjoy them.  I hope for your sake that many of you figure that out some day and some of you have.  The show car route is frustrating as heck and always more expensive.  A HUGE part of the frustration is the restoration "experts" that advise and argue about how best to restore.  Rizzo has mentioned some names from the 300 Int'l club so now he is going to get more restoration expertise from another side and it is going to conflict with what some of you guys have to say: I guarantee that.  You know what?  That is part of why Duane DeButts stayed away from the clubs starting many many years ago.  He got sick and tired of all this.  Give Rizzo some simple help AND give him some space.  Give him practical advice.  Offer inexpensive alternatives.  Good grief, guys, you can wire in an electric fuel pump many different ways: it doesn't have to burn a car down.  If someone is actually in the neighborhood, drive over and turn a wrench and have that pizza and beer like he asks but for gosh sakes, don't act like you are from the government and are here to take over the car and his life.  

Call me StillOutThere.  I don't sign my personal name, do I?

57burb
Posted 2009-09-23 11:20 AM (#189848 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

Wow, didn't realize I was going to uncork a firestorm of controversy when I replied to his post and used the name he had in his public profile.

Today just ROCKED. I really enjoy it when a new thing breaks. I love learning new things and now I feel WAY more comfortable working on this part of the car.

Well I just can't believe you read all that

Thanks guys for whatever you can show me around here.

The only problem I see with this resto, Is that my FIL doesnt always see the need to swap parts that arent broken. Now I have no desire to rebuild the whole car, But he has was too many " One time I blew a hose" or "One time I broke a belt" stories for my taste. I think a good PM course of action will ensure proper function for years.

Email notification of replies enabled.

Didn't realize I was directing the restoration of his family's car when I gave some safety tips on wiring up an electric fuel pump and mentioned some basic preventive maintenance measures he could do, since he asked for it. I guess this will be my last post on this car since input was asked for and obviously not desired. Enjoy that 300, I know I would.
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-23 11:40 AM (#189849 - in reply to #189658)

SOT- Thanks for the lower half of the "Back-up" . Sometimes getting hit over the head with "The book of all perfect and correct practices" gets annoying. As for the upper half... Man I just asked him , I put it out there and I know how the net works.

57Burb - You just need to get over yourself. It's the internet for crying out loud.

Watch this.. I'm going to turn off my computer :off: ... POOF ... It's all gone ! Stop taking anything on the net so seriously, Nothing said or read on this site will ever change one thing in your life... It's all 1's and 0's .
57burb
Posted 2009-09-23 11:48 AM (#189851 - in reply to #189849)

Expert

Gotcha. I thought you came here for advice, completely my mistake.
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-09-23 11:50 AM (#189852 - in reply to #189658)

OMG :facepalm: ...

Thanks for turning down all the excitement I had from finding a 300 site with serious,knowledgeable members.

STFU & GTFO .

You're such a drama queen.

58 300D
Posted 2009-09-23 2:16 PM (#189864 - in reply to #189847)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe so, StillOutThere, but if someone asks for advise here, they need to be prepared for advice they want and advice that they do not want. Telling someone to STFU because they said something they did not like is not very friendly. OK, hammering someone on ill-fitting seat covers may not have been very cool, but the response was not either. A simple 'thanks for the advise, but I like the seats as they are' would have worked just as well, and not put such a negative spin on this thread. The drama queen thing was a little over the top, too.

AKA Rizzo, just chill a bit and realize not every response will be what you want to hear. You will also notice that this site is not the most 300 friendly site on the net, but will most likely give the info you seek.

I have a few 300s, and had some advise, but I will most likely just STFU.

Pretty C, by the way. Black is a great color on those cars.

Matt

Edited by 58 300D 2009-09-23 2:17 PM
imopar380
Posted 2009-09-23 5:08 PM (#189891 - in reply to #189864)

Expert 5K+

-  I wasn't trying to hammer the guy on ill fitting seat covers,  it was just an observation that they were not installed very well, and if it was done by an upholsterer,  he didn't do a great job and if it were my own car I would have asked to have the covers re-fitted correctly.   If the owner did the job himself, then my apologies .    It is still a very nice car .  
B/G 61
Posted 2009-09-23 5:17 PM (#189895 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

firedome
Posted 2009-10-01 5:13 PM (#190884 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

You'd think if someone actually wanted help and advice there'd be a bit less attitude and defensiveness right off the bat... and frankly no one needs other FL'ers to tell them how to respond to a post, thanks... from a former 300-C convertible owner and eschewer of stuffy 300 clubs... firedome
Jason413
Posted 2009-10-11 10:32 PM (#192103 - in reply to #189852)

Extreme Veteran

AKA_Rizzo - 2009-09-23 11:50 AM

OMG :facepalm: ...

Thanks for turning down all the excitement I had from finding a 300 site with serious,knowledgeable members.

STFU & GTFO .

You're such a drama queen.

WOW!
AKA_Rizzo
Posted 2009-10-11 11:46 PM (#192113 - in reply to #189658)

What are you guys still doing here...

Thanks again SOT for the back-up bro.

Look I've moved on and will seek what advice I need elsewhere.

Let it be read : I do not nor does anyone on my car site treat,say or act like this place. But our core demographic is probably half the age of this one and we are not staring death from old age in the face.
B/G 61
Posted 2009-10-12 9:08 AM (#192140 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

Jason413
Posted 2009-10-12 9:56 AM (#192142 - in reply to #192113)

Extreme Veteran

AKA_Rizzo - 2009-10-11 11:46 PM

What are you guys still doing here...

Thanks again SOT for the back-up bro.

Look I've moved on and will seek what advice I need elsewhere.

Let it be read : I do not nor does anyone on my car site treat,say or act like this place. But our core demographic is probably half the age of this one and we are not staring death from old age in the face.

Common respect for others would be appreciated. Didn`t your mommy teach you to treat people the way you want to be treated? Your puking keyboard courage. If you moved on, why do you keep responding? 37 is staring at death?

Edited by Jason413 2009-10-12 10:02 AM
d500neil
Posted 2009-10-12 4:07 PM (#192163 - in reply to #192142)

I haven't chimed in, in a LONG time; but, Rosario mentions that : " I do not nor does anyone on my car site treat, say or act like this place. But our core demographic is probably half the age of this one and we are not staring death from old age in the face."

I have JUST figured-out this whole thread :

Rosario is really STEVE HOBBY (or one of his minions), guys, playing us....

How many of us have EVER visited a website, where the "Core demographic age" might be about 20---as implied by Rosario---and where the 'politeness-factor' may be so-much more genteel than that which we have displayed to Rosario, in this thread????

The VIPERclub.org is like a free-for-all, compared to the politeness and concern that is routinely displayed by our membership to any new members' questions.

So, to Rosario, who has admittedly :"...moved on and will seek the advise I need elsewhere", I say: I hope the door didn't hit you in your rear-end, and oh yeah (if I might quote YOU, Mr. Decorum) : " STFU & GTFO"

Edited by d500neil 2009-10-12 7:08 PM
58 300D
Posted 2009-10-12 7:52 PM (#192200 - in reply to #192163)

Extreme Veteran

Man, Neil, I think you are on to something. Maybe that C is actually the 59 Chrysler that the unlucky Vincenzo (sp?) couple were driving that hit the semi and got blown to pieces, all fixed up to look like a 300. I guess Betty wanted it put back together to remember her husband by.

Rizzo, you really need some thicker skin. I didn't see anything in this thread that was bad or mean enough for you to pick up your toys and go home. You want to see real vitriol? Stick around for the fun and fireworks when the two Christine clubs go at it. Grab some popcorn, it's a hoot!

Edited by 58 300D 2009-10-12 7:54 PM
57burb
Posted 2009-10-12 8:05 PM (#192208 - in reply to #189658)

Expert

Actually, he's a 23 yr old GOON with literally 14,000 posts on a Crown Victoria enthusiast website.

AKA_Rizzo - 2009-09-21 10:31 AM

My father in law has owned this car since 1963...

My Father in Law is Duane Debutts , One of three founding members of the Chryslerr 300 Club of Amoerica. His mobility is poor so that god his daughter married a "wrench" :D

I'm sure Mr Debutts would be so proud to know you think he is "staring death from old age in the face." Take your own advice, kid.

Edited by 57burb 2009-10-12 8:06 PM
56royaldodge
Posted 2009-10-12 10:26 PM (#192234 - in reply to #189660)

Account deactivated by owner's request

Hey Rizzo –

So you come here showing pictures of your car. A couple people say things about the interior – in a helpful way – and you start calling names like a 4th grader and move on?

Hey man – its just car. Why the personal insults?

If you got something to say to this – send it to me in a PM. There is no need to litter this board up with this kind of TRASH.

Edited by 56royaldodge 2009-10-12 10:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)