The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for you all
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

safetymike77
Posted 2010-01-21 6:28 PM (#206138)
Subject: Question for you all

Expert

Well, some of you know me, but as of right now, I still have not found work. Do you guys think there would be a customer base for inspecting and locating classic cars for people overseas or out of state?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d500neil
Posted 2010-01-21 6:53 PM (#206140 - in reply to #206138)
Subject: Re: Question for you all

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Potentially, yes, Mike, but the success of your venture depends upon your being able to advertise your services where
an overseas buyer can readily find your services, your being able to work as quickly and as cheaply as possible (to satisfy
your customers), and, of course, being paid for your services in a timely manner, and for the full amount of your service billing.

None of the above is easy to do.

It would help if you were located in AZ or CA or TX or someplace close to a major car market and/or to decent year-round weather, because you'll always be traveling somewhere.

A GOOD job would be to relocate to a shipping port, where you could arrange to have stuff shipped overseas---you could make a name for yourself fairly quickly, and could advertise your services on all the olde car websites.

But, your question really is: how do I work out of my home in the old car industry?

It takes a lot of start up money, but, finding/buying/selling restorable cars is equal parts art and science; John Fowlie and Bo Malefors (AZ) are fairly good at that trade.

Your best bet is to start a car restoration shop, like Donnie's.....there is a demand for that work, out there!

Edited by d500neil 2010-01-21 6:54 PM
1959Dodge
Posted 2010-01-21 7:14 PM (#206142 - in reply to #206138)

Expert

I tend to agree with Neil about that kind of business. I know that Kent has his own guy in the US that does just the job you are talking about. Joakim may too. You may want to direct your inquiries to them?
Are there many classic cars in your area?
Borje and I keep a guy busy with minor fixes and some semi hard ones, like get rid of the constant velocity U joint in my 59.
but most work simple, oil changes, adjust the brakes, remove something and send it out to be chromed, tune up the car---ya know kinda like an "All Around Handyman" for Classic cars.
Good Luck to You!!

Gary
d500neil
Posted 2010-01-21 7:50 PM (#206146 - in reply to #206142)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

So, from what Gary is saying (and I, too): you should acquire a business-garage with a lift and probably a SUN-analyzer
(NOT very easy to come by, nowadays, but still available) and some air system tools and advertise your services.

You live in an apartment, IIRC; even at a homesite, you don't want to work out of your driveway.

For anyone reading this: the only-best way to defeat the computer-age/system is to learn a manual TRADE, even if it's just
fixing CONFUSERS!

Funny, how "vocational" high schools used to be looked-down upon.....

1959Dodge
Posted 2010-01-21 8:52 PM (#206154 - in reply to #206138)

Expert

I don't even think He needs a Sun Analyzer, especially rite now with his own economy problems.
He could get a timing light alto I never used one in the 46 years I have had the 64 or for the 59 either.
Even with the old 426 and good gas, it would always run it's best if it set it up to where it pinnged and then just backed it off, course can't do that with the 59 as the low compression 400 never pings, and He might need a timing lite for chebbies.
Your idea of a lift is a good one. He could do muffler work too.
So step one is find out if there is a market for that in your area.
Don't limit yourself to FL's and Mopars just hold your nose when the chebbies and Ferds come in.
Actually they repair, and tune bout the same and they are all basic basic systems and easy to troubleshoot.
Witness 58 Plymouth's latest problem and fix.
We have also sent many other customer's to "Our Guy"
We as well as other classic car guys like the idea of
"One guy solves All" no need to take the car to a half dozen places.
Gary
narleycharlie
Posted 2010-01-21 9:43 PM (#206159 - in reply to #206138)

Expert

Go locate an old car hauler and find the cars and flip em , if you can afford an old car hauler rite now and gettting the cars and a place to hold em . Car flipping is a big business nowadays . ..... What about driving a towtruck , that would be a cool job , and it puts you out there to spot cars everywhere , and a means to haul them if the boss lets you . Good luck to ya .
58Donnie
Posted 2010-01-21 9:51 PM (#206160 - in reply to #206138)

Account Suspended

I think it's a good idea. In time I think something that would be great is if you would travell to where a car is. For example, I have a customer who sent me a link to a car he was interested in and when I saw the car it looked just as good to me as it did him.....The seller had taken very good pictures and when the car got to my shop I found way more than could be delt with and provide the detailed final product he is paying me for....Now we are into a second car that we know beyond doubt is what it's supposed to be because it's coming from John.
Had there been a person who would have been willing to go to where the car was located we would have known the problems it had and my customer would have moved on to another car and I wouldn't have tied up my time and shop space. I'm sure your fee would have been way less then the money lost on the first car.
I say get a cheap but dependable car/truck that get's 30+MPG, load it up with basic tools, digital camera, and hit the road with with this.

Edited by 58Donnie 2010-01-21 9:53 PM
ripperace
Posted 2010-01-22 12:09 AM (#206199 - in reply to #206138)
Subject: RE: Question for you all

Veteran

Yeah man. If the people pay you to look at the car, you can charge mileage. Depending how far you have to go, all your expenses could be on the customers dime. Ya gotta eat right? You could figure that in somehow. You need gas, they cover that. Charge a flat rate to look at the car, and figure in everything else after that. The only things that would suck that you'd really have to cover yourself would be if your transportation would take a crap, get a flat, or something like that while en route. Plus, if it's something you'd enjoy doing, why not? Any venture on your own is going to have some initial investment in capital. But if it takes off, you could reap the rewards of owning your own business. JMO.
1959Dodge
Posted 2010-01-22 8:41 AM (#206220 - in reply to #206138)

Expert

Having run my own business for 16 years, Step 1 is to determine , is there a market for this?
Talk to the Swedes here, The Danes, The English, etc etc---they should be able to give you
an idea of how many Classic cars are imported into their Countries.
I see "Scouts" at many of the car shows I attend, most of them are from Scandanavia
but I have see a significant number from Japan too.

Gary
dukeboy
Posted 2010-01-22 3:49 PM (#206276 - in reply to #206138)

Expert 5K+

Mike, You COULD start out in a trans shop pullin' automatics and rebuilding them....Start turning wrenches, god knows there's not enough "Good" techs out there, but PLENTY of weekend warriors...Have you tried Wally world? Mickey D's? Arby's? Wendy's? Somebody's gotta need a burger flipper...Or are these job's above you? I know I'd be doing something other than contributing to the hobby's problems by flipping cars...Somewere there's a job, you just might not want to do it, but it's out there...

Edited by dukeboy 2010-01-22 3:54 PM
safetymike77
Posted 2010-01-22 9:20 PM (#206324 - in reply to #206160)

Expert

58Donnie - 2010-01-21 8:51 PM

I think it's a good idea. In time I think something that would be great is if you would travell to where a car is. For example, I have a customer who sent me a link to a car he was interested in and when I saw the car it looked just as good to me as it did him.....The seller had taken very good pictures and when the car got to my shop I found way more than could be delt with and provide the detailed final product he is paying me for....Now we are into a second car that we know beyond doubt is what it's supposed to be because it's coming from John.
Had there been a person who would have been willing to go to where the car was located we would have known the problems it had and my customer would have moved on to another car and I wouldn't have tied up my time and shop space. I'm sure your fee would have been way less then the money lost on the first car.
I say get a cheap but dependable car/truck that get's 30+MPG, load it up with basic tools, digital camera, and hit the road with with this.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Even figured on making a spreadsheet and rating as much of the car as I can.....
safetymike77
Posted 2010-01-22 9:22 PM (#206325 - in reply to #206276)

Expert

dukeboy - 2010-01-22 2:49 PM

Mike, You COULD start out in a trans shop pullin' automatics and rebuilding them....Start turning wrenches, god knows there's not enough "Good" techs out there, but PLENTY of weekend warriors...Have you tried Wally world? Mickey D's? Arby's? Wendy's? Somebody's gotta need a burger flipper...Or are these job's above you? I know I'd be doing something other than contributing to the hobby's problems by flipping cars...Somewere there's a job, you just might not want to do it, but it's out there...

That is cold.... FYI, I have found a temp job doing what I have a degree in... but that is only temporary....

Saving what I make on the temp job to maybe get into this if I can find anyone that needs the service.
deloverly
Posted 2010-01-22 9:57 PM (#206329 - in reply to #206138)

Elite Veteran

Mike, send me a PM with your email address. I have a few sheets that I use for evaluating classic cars. I can scan them into my computer and send them to you. Use them or make a usable one.

M'Lisa
phins
Posted 2010-01-22 11:40 PM (#206342 - in reply to #206138)

Elite Veteran

What you are trying to do will be difficult unless you live somewhere where there are lots of great cars hidden around. you will have to spend some $$ just to let people what services you offer. It will take some time earning their trust. and you won't make nearly as much as you think you will

i did this same thing about 100 years ago. i got into it as i did a lot of traveling around the country and usually took back roads just to look into peoples backyards and maybe find a hidden jewel. the way i did it was, when i did spot something i would make a note of what it was and where it was located. take some pics of it. and then i would make some contacts and see if anyone would be interested in it. most buyers just wanted me to tell them where it was and say thanks. i did make some money when i found a 1937 Rolls Royce on someones driveway. I found someone that wanted it. Met them at the airport and drove them to see the car which they bought and gave me $1000. Then i found a 1970 Superbird in the local paper for $14,000. At the time i didn't have the money or i would have bought it myself. i made $500 on that one. After that i quit, as it wasn't worth all the time and effort i put into it even for the $1000. you will put a lot of time into what you want to do and though you will make some $$$ you won't make enough to make it worth while. My 2 cents
dukeboy
Posted 2010-01-22 11:58 PM (#206343 - in reply to #206325)

Expert 5K+

safetymike77 - 2010-01-22 9:22 PM

That is cold.... FYI, I have found a temp job doing what I have a degree in... but that is only temporary....

Saving what I make on the temp job to maybe get into this if I can find anyone that needs the service.

Missed the point Mike...Degrees don't mean hill of beans when there's bills to pay....I've flipped Burgers before to put food on the table...
safetymike77
Posted 2010-01-26 8:00 PM (#206813 - in reply to #206343)

Expert

dukeboy - 2010-01-22 10:58 PM

safetymike77 - 2010-01-22 9:22 PM

Missed the point Mike...Degrees don't mean hill of beans when there's bills to pay....I've flipped Burgers before to put food on the table...

You know, so many of you wonder why so many leave this site? I prefer sites where I get good feedback, constructive criticism instead of insults or being accused of being a low life bottom feeder that lives off others. I think I am done with this hell hole for a while. You and the other 6 or 7 extremist conservatives can take this hell hole to its grave as you run off anyone that doesn't meet your perfect view of a human being.

I thought long and hard about what you said, coupled with half the crap posted on here, and it made me realize that 90% of what I do read is a total waste of my time.. If I do show up it will be because I have funds to buy something and am looking or I need to get ahold of some of my real friends... like JW, MO or Big M.

Au Revoir
narleycharlie
Posted 2010-01-26 9:34 PM (#206821 - in reply to #206138)

Expert

I didn t read anything insulting in what Chaney said . Some people are above doing some things in life to bring money home . In fact , I am self employed and have a job AND looking for a 3rd source of income . I ve been like a lot of other jobless people , hustling scrap metal for extra money in a way , I guess that makes me a bottom feeder , but I m not ashamed of doing it to meet my biils .

Good feedback and honest feedback are 2 different things . So you would rather have someone paint you a pretty picture and tell you to invest your savings and everything will pan out A-OK . Or would you prefer honest feedback where someone is trying to save you from making mistakes that they may have made , and save you from investing money that you will probably lose.

Tell you what , sit back and wait for the Change and Hope you ve been promised................................
dukeboy
Posted 2010-01-26 9:51 PM (#206825 - in reply to #206821)

Expert 5K+

Too many thin skinned people round here...I call 'em like I see 'em....Sorry I pissed you off Mikey....Didn't mean to...
deloverly
Posted 2010-01-26 10:19 PM (#206831 - in reply to #206138)

Elite Veteran

BS Chaney
Ron
Posted 2010-01-27 5:32 PM (#206912 - in reply to #206138)

Extreme Veteran

Mike,

The world has changed on you. Years and years ago it was so hard to find certain cars. You had to call people and beg them to look for the car you wanted. It was a great business. Hemming's put more buyers and sellers together than anyone.

UPDATE--- Today there are tons of search engines on the Internet. You type in what you want and they search the WHOLE WORLD FOR YOU. You then can call or write the seller yourself with no middle man to pay. It is happening while I type this e mail. Sorry buddy, electronics has eliminated your job just like so many other jobs.
Remember when all the gas stations were privately owned. That also is a thing of the past. Transfer your knowledge into learning property like houses and apartments building and become an appraiser----that business is doing well.

Ron Swartley
dukeboy
Posted 2010-01-28 7:38 AM (#206983 - in reply to #206138)

Expert 5K+

Good to hear from 'ya again Ron...Twas GREAT talking with you at Carlisle...I was one of the ones that was listening to your stories under the CCC tent Brother....Lookin' foward to seeing you again...

Edited by dukeboy 2010-01-28 7:40 AM
58Donnie
Posted 2010-01-28 9:18 AM (#206990 - in reply to #206983)

Account Suspended

Mike,
Let it roll off man. The idea you have is a good solid one trust me. I have a guy right now that is chomping at the bit to buy the camaro in AZ but thinks the prices is to cheap for what it is. The only thing you can see wrong with it in pictures is the doors aren't lined up right. He has been searching for someone to go check it out. This is just one of the many people I know that could use or have used a service like this. Overseas guy's would rather pay you to go check out a car than buy one, ship it halfway around the wrld only to find it's a POS.
Somebody wh wants to flip a car is not near as much of a problem to the hobby as people with pisspoor attitudes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)