The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

59 383 questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

coreywalker
Posted 2010-02-06 10:07 PM (#208323)
Subject: 59 383 questions

New User

I have a 59 Chrysler, have had it for a long time. I bought an engine rebuild kit in 2000 from Kanter auto. The timing chain seems extremely tight. Like a guitar string tight. I had the engine bored in 2000, put it all back together then and it's been on a sand since then. I think I'm going to disassemble it and put it back together to see that all is clean and correct. I'm missing the oil pump, dipstick and timing chain cover. How much of a problem would it be to find those? I've got a bit of money in the motor for it just to be sitting, just don't have a bunch of money to put in it all at once now. I'm wondering if sitting up ruins the transmission? Automatics are expensive as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2010-02-06 11:55 PM (#208338 - in reply to #208323)
Subject: Re: 59 383 questions

Elite Veteran

AS far as the oil pump, timing cover and dip stick all are available thru Year One, Paddock and on ebay daily, The Mopar direct Connection ones may be chromed instead of bare steel.
I would check the engine assembly lube on the bearing caps and mains. Definitely do a pre-oil pressure run on the oil pump with out the distributor in, This will pump up the oil thru the entire block and heads.
There are more experience engine guys then I will pipe in soon....

I have a original zero time 1978 440 block in my 69 charger, I flipped it over to check the bearings and they were still wet with assembly lube. I put some more on and torqued it back down. That was last year so it lasted 31 years after assembly. I did pre-pressure the block with the hex stock thru the distributor port.
Scott Smith Harms
Posted 2010-02-09 11:46 AM (#208684 - in reply to #208338)
Subject: Re: 59 383 questions

Veteran

It depends on how correct you want your engine to look, early RB engines had a cosmetically unique timing cover, but later stampings will interchange no problem (nearly any 1959-78 B/RB engine timing cover will work on it). Oil pumps are pretty much generic, just get a new name brand quality unit, I reccomend blue printing them as well. The dip sticks and tubes varied somewhat with application, you should be able to use one from any early RB wedge engine with the same capacity oil pan. Be sure to check that the dip stick indicater is accurate after installation. I try to avoid using non original chromed engine parts for 2 reasons, #1, I like a stock appearance, and #2, chromed gasket surfaces tend to leak oil easier.

Sitting shouldn't ruin your transmission but gaskets can age and swell over time causing leaks, I'd reccomend changing the fluid and filter after a long hibernation, (all fluids in the entire car for that matter, including the rear end and brake fluid, and ESPECIALLY the gas in the tank) otherwise you should be fine.

Edited by Scott Smith Harms 2010-02-10 2:06 AM
Rodger
Posted 2010-02-10 6:20 PM (#208945 - in reply to #208323)
Subject: RE: 59 383 questions

Expert

John

Call your local NAPA and see what the clerk says
about your needs.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum