The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Memory Lane Classics Chisholm, Mn... What the hell is going on?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Vendor DiscussionMessage format

Bart_59_Dodge
Posted 2010-06-19 8:36 PM (#228632)
Subject: Memory Lane Classics Chisholm, Mn... What the hell is going on?

Expert

I just had the strangest call from a local family with 2 GTO's up there along with a lot of their money. They are panicing after being contacted by the Chisholm police,

They refered to MLC as a Chop Shop and fear that their 2 cars are long gone.... MLC has had their cars for a few years with nothing to show for it.

While talking to these folks, I jumped on the net and found this...

http://67mustangblog.com/2010/06/memory-lane-classics-owners-allegedly-skip-the-country-take-customers-money-with-them/

I'm sick for this family.... The Gentleman sounds like he's packing for a road trip and headed up to see what is what.

Very scarry,

Bart

Edited by Bart_59_Dodge 2010-06-19 8:37 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bart_59_Dodge
Posted 2010-06-19 8:45 PM (#228634 - in reply to #228632)
Subject: Re: Memory Lane Classics Chisholm, Mn... What the hell is going on?

Expert

And others.....

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=82162

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Automotive/Body-Work--Repair/Search.aspx

http://eleanorinspired1967mustangfastback.yuku.com/topic/2153

http://ccc.informe.com/forum/memory-lane-classics-chisholm-mn-f74/has-anyone-seen-edwin-and-scott-verdung-t2912.html

Edited by Bart_59_Dodge 2010-06-20 9:11 AM
furvedere
Posted 2010-06-19 11:01 PM (#228661 - in reply to #228632)
Subject: RE: Memory Lane Classics Chisholm, Mn... What the hell is going on?

Veteran

Looks like I might be the only one out of that mess alive. Some of you may remember me...I posted here and on seven other forums last December and told you all what they were doing to me and my wife. We were having a Christine built...or so we thought! We received progress photos of other people's cars, were constantly lied to, given every excuse in the book etc etc. I/we pushed 'em real hard to refund our $25k and in the process caught the father, Scott red-handed as he sent us a $25k forged wire transfer document. His bank manager then got involved after we sent US Bank in Hibbing, MN proof of this fraudulent bank document and we had our money the next day. Leading up to this we filed complaints with the NYS & MN police, NYS & MN Attorney Generals, Better Business Bureau, Internet Crime Complaint Center and Federal Trade Comission. I feel incredibly blessed that we escaped that scam especially after now...reading about all the poor people that have apparently lost such huge amounts of money/cars. Those two guys, Scott Verdung and Edwin Verdung had quite the scam going on there. Now everybody is wondering why they left Palm Beach, FL several years ago and then the Chicago area before that.
My wife actually saw this all coming and I have to give her a lot of credit for getting me going to get out of that raw deal. The rest was a miracle from the good Lord above. I've been reading the Eleanor thread since late May there...Apparently the cops went in there and siezed the business, and locked it down...All that sent Scott and Edwin on the run. Some said they were going to Mexico...Don't actually know where they went or what they're doing or even if the cops are going to charge them. There's some folks in this for huge amounts of money. All the stories sound very similar though. Read the Eleanor forum thread. It will make your hair stand up on end. It's a sad day and a big black eye for all car enthusiasts/resto. businesses.

Bob

Edited by furvedere 2010-06-20 7:48 AM
Bart_59_Dodge
Posted 2010-06-20 9:12 AM (#228709 - in reply to #228632)

Expert

How can there not be criminal charges pending? That is just crazy.
dukeboy
Posted 2010-06-20 1:20 PM (#228748 - in reply to #228709)

Expert 5K+

Well, the Christine Car Club helped Bob (Furvedere) actually get his money back..However, there are others that weren't so lucky...There are CCC members that have been taken for ALOT more than the $25K Bob was almost out of...While we (The CCC), tried to "get behind" these folks, we cannot police and keep everybody from getting taken by these people...

I actually had a member contact me for a build of his own Christine, and because I wouldn't commit to a 1 year contract, he decided AGAINST my better judgement and PROTEST to have them build his car for no other reason than he couldn't wait for my backlog of customers...I have built these cars and restored over 20 cars in my lifetime, (some easier than others) so far and fully understand there's NO WAY a single man can get these cars from Complete "Parts car" status, to restored in 1 year.....MLC couldn't do this and they have multiple employees....Therefore, I DO NOT even attempt to "Talk someone into" a build by promising the world, as I believe in honesty and reputation first..I refuse to try and build your car in that time slot after the 20 I've done, and have this happen cause you were impatient...The CCC has a "Builder" he just can't get the cars done in the time that people "Expect" them to be done in that's all.....As an admin. of the club, I refuse to let another builder in any form come on the board for the simple purpose of raping the club for whatever they can get in monetary form....They will have to do some sacrificing in order to become a "builder" on that forum, I will make sure of it....There will be no more walking in off the street and taking over the board with numerous posts about how great they are only to have pissed off members when they cannot deliver a build on time....I won't do it, so I'm not gonna let another come in and do just that anymore...

Of all the people that have been taken by these folks, The Christine builds bother me those most as most had asked me to "Perform the Impossible" before they bought into the MLC BS....I have to stand back and say...."Well, I told you it couldn't be done, but you had to "Have it right now"....If something sounds to good to be true, it usually is....I have NO PROBLEM building cars for people, even though I don't do it for a living....However, I cannot and WILL NOT be "Rushed" because you got the "Itch" overnight to build a car and want me to make it happen in that same time frame....I was even contacted to help pull one out that MLC had began on and couldn't finish by the Appointed time slot,(One month before a showing). I had to simply explain that it couldn't be done, even by MLC, which it wasn't and now it needs repainting because of this.....While MLC has delt a blow to the hobby world of cars, people need to do their homework before they commit to something that is clearly impossible...I got taken when I was younger by a "Builder" and that was the VERY REASON I decided to do all my own work from now on.....

Again, this is not to belittle the folks that got taken, but only to show that after talking with someone that has "been there and done that" with these cars and knows what it takes to build one, they STILL go to the folks that promise the world and there's only one outcome that can happen in the end....I'd rather lose the build than have to promise something that cannot be done to get your money..MLC didn't feel the same way......

Edited by dukeboy 2010-06-20 11:43 PM
58Donnie
Posted 2010-06-20 11:19 PM (#228840 - in reply to #228748)

Account Suspended

I remember back a couple of years ago when they first showed up on the scene with pics of my car on that crazy ebay auction for an unbuilt car and I said then ‘These people are crazy” They made all kinds of promises in the description that was simply not possible.
I also remember that was when some other wanted them to advertise on the club site and I was at the very least outspoken against it.
Edwin jined the club and he and I butted heads for a while then he was gone.....Funny story here, One evening I get a phone call from Edwin and he is wanting to know why I talked a guy out of having them build his car. I had no idea what he was talking about and he said that they had worked out a deal with a guy in Australia and that because of “Bad reports” he was going a different direction. Turns out the person in question (hardtop an ICC member) had found a car that was a running driving ‘58 here in the state and he had bought it.
Granted I was outspoken against them but I had nothing to do with that. Anyway long story short and the funny part is that he started on with this “We are going to sue you” BS and I told in very clear profanity to “F&^$in’ go for it and I’ll be here doing what I do when you are long gone”.

I said that because I believed it then as I believe it now. Make the customer happy, give them what they want and do it at a fair price without screwing them and you will be in business as long as you want to be.

I hate it for everyone that got screwed and I really hate for the movie car guy’s (I know about that deal) and I hope that at the very least those with cars still there can get them back.
furvedere
Posted 2010-06-21 8:51 AM (#228878 - in reply to #228632)
Subject: RE: Memory Lane Classics Chisholm, Mn... What the hell is going on?

Veteran

Yes Dukeboy...No doubt that the CCC webmaster was a huge help to us getting our refund. His help was instrumental and most appreciated. Still, all glory to the good Lord above for putting the right people at the right time in our path to victory on this deal.

What a shame that the father Scott...brought up his son, Edwin in the way he has. He basically has taught the boy how to lie, cheat and steal his way through life. Neither one know how to tell the truth to save their lives now....and with the enemies they have created over the past few years...think about it...jail might be the safest place for both of them. After reading over 19 pages on the Eleanor forum thread...It looks like they have scammed...at least $3 million from dozens of clients over the past 3-4 years. Not sure if that was the basic purpose for "MLC"...or if it started out legit. and then just turned real bad real quick. I feel so bad for all the poor people left behind right now with crushed dreams...sleepless nights...remorseful decisions...I'm sure no words can describe the despair.

Edited by furvedere 2010-06-21 9:58 AM
imopar380
Posted 2010-06-22 12:49 AM (#229011 - in reply to #228632)

Expert 5K+

The owners of MLC last name says it all VerDUNG...
lawrence
Posted 2010-06-24 1:17 AM (#229369 - in reply to #228632)

Expert

It's OK. Get those checkbooks back out and send them all your money.
http://www.bbb.org/minnesota/business-reviews/auto-restoration/memo...
Don't delay, send some money today
lawrence
Posted 2010-06-24 1:30 AM (#229376 - in reply to #228632)

Expert

Only 2 complaints in the last 3 yrs. Last updated 6-23-10

chrome_fins
Posted 2010-06-26 3:52 PM (#229779 - in reply to #229011)

Veteran

took long enough!!! i have been trying to warn people about them for YEARS! NOW, but many a post have fallen on deaf ears, and people have to find out for themselves. edwin bought a car from me a couple of years ago and while i wasnt looking, stole a TON of parts from my other cars. then when i found out he refused to pay me for them saying that i couldnt prove what was and wasnt with the car he bought, then he tried to sell that car in the mean time. i had to "buy" the car back on ebay just to stop it from selling, and i had to tell him that i had filed a police report before i got what he owed me, and even then, i still am out probably 600+$ in parts that he stole. sucks when people like this tarnish the industry./ makes it even harder for honest resto guys like myself. creates this stigma for the industry, that everybody's dishonest.. it sucks. hope they REALLY get whats coming to them!!!!
58Donnie
Posted 2010-06-27 8:32 AM (#229841 - in reply to #229779)

Account Suspended

It does suck. I have been on two 3 hour phone calls about a '58 Fury (the real deal) that got sent there and the guy who owns it has been through hell. With some luck he was able to ID his car and most of his stuff but not everything. The owner is scared to death now and I don't blame him. I have given him a bunch of references which has made him feel better and he also was able to get the car back so that helped but because of all of this he is delayed again and it will be a good long while before I can even think of starting it.
mrtester
Posted 2010-06-27 10:14 PM (#229936 - in reply to #229841)

Elite Veteran

For those who currently reside in the Upper Midwest USA, I would say avoid Memory Lane Classics, as they are plagued with legal issues. A better restorer to me would be Duffy's in Cedar Rapids, which also does restorations in addition to classic car sales. I have never heard of any complaints from them, but then again I dont live in eastern Iowa anymore. Has anyone here done business with Duffy's restoration shop?

http://www.duffys.com/services/restoration/

mrtester
Posted 2010-06-27 10:15 PM (#229937 - in reply to #229841)

Elite Veteran

For those who currently reside in the Upper Midwest USA, I would say avoid Memory Lane Classics, as they are plagued with legal issues. A better restorer to me would be Duffy's in Cedar Rapids, which also does restorations in addition to classic car sales. I have never heard of any complaints from them, but then again I dont live in eastern Iowa anymore. Has anyone here done business with Duffy's restoration shop?

http://www.duffys.com/services/restoration/

sparky7
Posted 2010-06-28 1:05 AM (#229960 - in reply to #229937)

Elite Veteran

For those who currently reside in the Upper Midwest USA, I would say avoid Memory Lane Classics, as they are plagued with legal issues.

. . . I would extend that to those who currently reside outside the Upper Midwest USA. Or anywhere else.

In addition to their legal issues they apparently no longer have their shop which is being picked over by the police and former customers. The owners have skipped town.

So yeah . . . . avoid them.

Sparky
Ray
Posted 2010-06-28 12:14 PM (#230000 - in reply to #229937)

Expert

mrtester - 2010-06-27 9:15 PM For those who currently reside in the Upper Midwest USA, I would say avoid Memory Lane Classics, as they are plagued with legal issues. A better restorer to me would be Duffy's in Cedar Rapids, which also does restorations in addition to classic car sales. I have never heard of any complaints from them, but then again I dont live in eastern Iowa anymore. Has anyone here done business with Duffy's restoration shop? http://www.duffys.com/services/restoration/

This was my only contact with Duffy:  My son and I took a road trip to Duffy's showroom quite some time ago. When I asked the salesman why there were not any Mopars on the floor, he yelled out across the room "Duffy, we have some white trash looking for Mopars"

Kenny J.
Posted 2010-06-28 12:42 PM (#230002 - in reply to #230000)

Inactive by user's request

Ray - 2010-06-28 9:14 AM

This was my only contact with Duffy:  My son and I took a road trip to Duffy's showroom quite some time ago. When I asked the salesman why there were not any Mopars on the floor, he yelled out across the room "Duffy, we have some white trash looking for Mopars"

I suppose my money wouldn't be good enough for them, either.

Thanks for the "heads-up."

K.
big m
Posted 2010-06-28 12:53 PM (#230005 - in reply to #230000)

Expert 5K+

Ray - 2010-06-28 9:14 AM

mrtester - 2010-06-27 9:15 PM For those who currently reside in the Upper Midwest USA, I would say avoid Memory Lane Classics, as they are plagued with legal issues. A better restorer to me would be Duffy's in Cedar Rapids, which also does restorations in addition to classic car sales. I have never heard of any complaints from them, but then again I dont live in eastern Iowa anymore. Has anyone here done business with Duffy's restoration shop? http://www.duffys.com/services/restoration/

A FINE way to do business.

---John
ronbo97
Posted 2010-06-28 3:12 PM (#230024 - in reply to #230005)

Expert

The way I found my resto shop was by asking around.

At a car show, I asked the guy that pulled up next to me on the show field, who did his restoration. Turns out that his brother owned an auto body shop and did restorations during slow periods. That is how I found the shop that painted my Plymouth.

Ron

58Donnie
Posted 2010-06-28 5:10 PM (#230047 - in reply to #230024)

Account Suspended

Word of mouth is the best advertisment I have.

Edited by 58Donnie 2010-06-29 6:22 AM
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2010-06-29 1:18 AM (#230138 - in reply to #230047)

I just ask the white trash I encounter !
dukeboy
Posted 2010-06-29 7:42 AM (#230164 - in reply to #230138)

Expert 5K+

Doctor DeSoto - 2010-06-29 1:18 AM

I just ask the white trash I encounter !

Now THAT'S funny Brent....
finsruskw
Posted 2010-06-29 8:15 AM (#230172 - in reply to #230164)

Expert

Several years ago, my son got asked to leave Duffy's show room after he paid the admission.
Seems they had a "so called" Ram 300-K there that Les was looking at, but it didn't seem quite right.
Turns out it was a Newport masquerading as a Ram K, still had the newport deck lid and interior.
When he started pointing all this out to the salesman and asking pertinant questions he was asked to leave.
So, I'd be a little cautious about dealing with Duffy's.

Dave S
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)