The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weekend work
Moderators: Lancer Mike

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Rocky Mountain RegionMessage format

55BlueHeron
Posted 2010-12-05 11:24 AM (#251991)
Subject: Weekend work

Extreme Veteran

Since my post about the brakes going I haven't had enough time to even put a jack under the car. My several year project at work is coming to a head, and we laid new hardwood in out Living and Dining rooms. I finally had time to do some work on both the Blue Heron and the Mercedes this weekend.

In addition to looking for the brake fluid leak I also haven't liked the feel of the brakes since I replaced the return springs and one wheel cylinder. The leak was easy to find; pump the brakes and look for the leak. It was just a loose pipe.

Since my last work the brakes have felt spongy, like I hadn't bled them. I inspected and readjusted them with no improvement. Then I did the obvious. But first, I was taught that the way to bleed brakes was to start at the closest wheel the the master, then work out. That's what I did, and that has always worked. But, I ignored one bleed location that these other cars didn't have. It is in my last picture.

The first picture is just the car on the jack.
The second picture is my inspection of a wheel. It looks clean.
The third picture - What car owner would let dirt and grease build up on their frame lake that! (Oh. It's me. I have some cleaning.)
The fourth picture is the master cylinder.

(OnJack.jpg)

(CleanBrakes.jpg)

(DirtyFrame.jpg)

(Master.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments OnJack.jpg (50KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments CleanBrakes.jpg (43KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments DirtyFrame.jpg (43KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments Master.jpg (52KB - 134 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57plybel
Posted 2010-12-05 4:06 PM (#252019 - in reply to #251991)
Subject: Re: Weekend work

Extreme Veteran

I always start at the furthest point from m/cyl and work inwards..... no problems yet !!! Was directed to many years ago...

Nice to see a mopar get used/driven like yours.... kool !

Colin
MorePar
Posted 2010-12-05 9:44 PM (#252052 - in reply to #252019)

Dittos the methoid Colin was taught;

Always start at the farthest point in the brake lines and then work back toward the master cylinder or you will do some of the line bleeding multiple times. Think it through; If the air is out of the rear lines then new air will not be easily forced back there but if you have  purged one front line and there are stiil bubbles in the another front line then those can be forced back through the system.

Still a neat car.

Slim

55BlueHeron
Posted 2010-12-06 4:22 PM (#252152 - in reply to #251991)
Subject: RE: Weekend work

Extreme Veteran

The way I have always done it has always worked until this time. This time it was because the master cylinder itself has a bleed nipple. All I did to fix the feel was bleed the master cylinder, not repeat the whole process. It would have made no difference which direction I had bled.

I have reposted the last picture with an arrow to the bleed. I should have made the picture clearer the first time. Look at the arrow. It points to the bleed nipple. I don't know how many cars had this bleed point, but I don't remember dealing with it before.

Edited by 55BlueHeron 2010-12-06 4:26 PM

(Master.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Master.jpg (52KB - 134 downloads)
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2010-12-06 10:20 PM (#252219 - in reply to #252019)

Elite Veteran

57plybel - 2010-12-05 2:06 PM

I always start at the furthest point from m/cyl and work inwards..... no problems yet !!! Was directed to many years ago...

Nice to see a mopar get used/driven like yours.... kool !

Colin

Yep me too! Farthest point to the nearest point to bleed correctly. Must be true, my father and grandfather were both engineers with Chrysler and that is what they taught me.
55BlueHeron
Posted 2010-12-07 11:09 AM (#252283 - in reply to #251991)
Subject: RE: Weekend work

Extreme Veteran

Wow. I didn't know that the order I bleed brakes was going to cause such a response! I guess I've been lucky all these years that my direction worked.

First, does the master cylinder have a bleed nipple on any of your cars? Clearly there's one on mine because it is needed. I understand that master cylinders are bench bled when new, but mine has been on the car for well over 5 years.

Either direction of bleeding the brakes there is a chance of air working it's way back into what is already bled. Consider any T in the system. There is air and brake fluid in both directions. When you bleed one wheel the air is forced out from one of the tubes, but not the other. It doesn't care which is the furthest from the master cylinder. What is important is having an order of work.

I did some research before responding this time. Here's an example of an answer.
Begin at the corner furthest from the driver and proceed in order toward the driver. (Right rear, left rear, right front, left front.) While the actual sequence is not critical to the bleed performance it is easy to remember the sequence as the farthest to the closest.

Other sites just said to follow the repair manual.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)