The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windshield Installation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

corky
Posted 2011-02-09 8:00 PM (#260365)
Subject: Windshield Installation

Regular

Could someone give me the step by step proceedure for removing and replacing the windshield on my 59 Desoto Firesweep, 4 door sedan?
I thank you in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
njlimbaugh
Posted 2011-02-10 9:25 AM (#260419 - in reply to #260365)
Subject: Re: Windshield Installation

Extreme Veteran

Takes 2 people, one inside & one outside. Inside guy gently peels rubber gasket away from body while pushing gently outward on glass. Outside guy catches. When installing, put the gasket on the glass first, then set assembly into bottom body flange and work the rest of the gasket onto body metal while outside guy pushed glass into place. It takes time and patience.
corky
Posted 2011-02-10 2:03 PM (#260442 - in reply to #260419)

Regular

Thanks! Do I have to remove any trim, etc (inside or outside) prior to removal?
finsruskw
Posted 2011-02-10 3:14 PM (#260446 - in reply to #260442)

Expert

Yes, you should remove it all, inside and outside if it up against or on the weatherstrip.
I'm not familiar with your model but some have the trim installed right on or over the w/strip.
The service manuals usually have a step by step procedure for glass install.

Dave S.

Edited by finsruskw 2011-02-10 3:19 PM
rbmain
Posted 2011-02-10 3:17 PM (#260448 - in reply to #260365)

Besides the obvious posted so far, are there any old-timer tricks to the job?
coronetx2
Posted 2011-02-10 5:46 PM (#260474 - in reply to #260365)

Veteran

I put front & rear in by myself in my 56 dodge 2dr ht patience is and understatement but it can be done.
First put gasket on the glass then set the gasket over the pinch weld on the bottom.
Then collapse the gasket on the outside start to feed the sides into the pinch weld top corners are the trick.
Go from side to side in side and outside I use a ice pick with a hook on the end to pull the gasket over the pinch welds.
Once the top corners are in with the flat of your hand lightly pound on the glass.
and from the inside pull gasket over the pinch weld.
Then when gasket is in start to lock the outside of the gasket together.
To put trim on soap and water and a string about 6 feet long.
The string go in where the trim locks into the rubber gasket apply soap & water .
balance your trim out from side to side lock the edge of trim and pull the string and apply pressure at the same time
Trim should lock into the gasket might take a try or two Just remember take your time .
If you get stressed out about it take a few minutes away from it I know I sure did
Phil
safetymike77
Posted 2011-02-10 7:08 PM (#260502 - in reply to #260365)

Expert

Do you guys not remember the rope trick? Use a rope wrapped into the groove all the way around the window. One guy on the outside pushes on the window. The guy on the inside pulls the rope in such a way that it forces the rubber to open and when it flops back, it will be over the metal. I put the windshield in that 55 Ford truck I did in about 3 minutes.....
60 Plymouth
Posted 2011-02-10 7:49 PM (#260511 - in reply to #260502)

Elite Veteran

I put the gasket on the car first and unzip the gasket on the outside. put the bottom of the windshield in first and work it around even from both sides. Took 2 of us 15 mins to get it in.
udoittwo
Posted 2011-02-14 11:08 AM (#261000 - in reply to #260365)
Subject: RE: Windshield Installation

Expert

To install, make sure the metal is not rotted or blistered and is as correct to orginal size/shape as possible. If it has been repaired or a new aftermarket gasket or windshield is used, sometimes just the slighest size difference will make this difficult if not impossible. Put the gasket around the windshield making sure it is centered. If it is cold, set the gasket in hot water for several minutes first and soap or silacone glass. Get a spool of plastic coated wire such as a smaller size used for the wiring harness under the dash. Put it in the channel of the gasket where the metal frame will eventually set. Start the wire at one bottom corner[leaving a foot or 2 sticking out] and run it along the bottom and up over the top and back down and out the opposite lower corner with a foot or 2 to spare. Overlaping along the bottom. Don't use rope or heavy string. It tends to hang up more than coated wire. Well lube the gasket and frame with soapy water or something. Set the windshield in on the frame with the frame in the channel of the gasket. Wire ends on inside of car. Making sure the lip of the gasket isn't tucked under, you should be able to set the windshield in on the gasket along the whole bottom lip. MAKE SURE IT'S CENTERED. Get on the inside and have someone gently push in on the windshield while you slowly pull the wire in towards you. If you only have 1 person to push, start at one corner. If you have a few people and can keep fairly steady pressure around the windshield, you can simply pull both ends of the wire at the same time. They will pull the inner edge of the gasket in and up over the lip of the frame and the winshield will smoothly glide into place. IF the gasket and windshield are correct and pliable and well lubed, it will drop in a matter of a few carefull minutes.
Removing safely is a lot harder. Only if you can't use your gasket, cut it away being carefull not to etch the glass. Cut it on the outside. A lot easier to see. If you have to reuse, be very carefull. Remove from the inside and watch using metal such as a screwdriver to pry the inner lip. You will chip the glass. This is where you re more likely to brake it. We used to have someone inside put his feet on the glass and push while someone worked the gasket over the lip and somone cauget it. Put heavy cover on hood and fenders. That's old school and we never broke one but they were a little more common back then and the gaskets were newer and more pliable. SOAP IT UP. Or, call a pro for removal.
Hope some of this helps,
Karl.
1956DeS
Posted 2011-02-14 8:35 PM (#261059 - in reply to #260365)

Elite Veteran

I read somewhere recently that the original gasket should be protected and reused because some of the reproduction stuff isn't as good as it should be.
corky
Posted 2011-02-27 7:28 PM (#262793 - in reply to #261000)
Subject: RE: Windshield Installation

Regular

Thanks, Karl!! Your detailed instructions will sure come in handy.
You are appreciated!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)