The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cowl area leak - 58 2 door hardtop -anyone had this?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Resurrector
Posted 2010-09-02 10:56 AM (#239380)
Subject: Cowl area leak - 58 2 door hardtop -anyone had this?

Hi, my 58 Plymouth 2 door hardtop has a pesky leak when it rains hard, water runs down behind the kick panel and ends up on the front floorboards, both sides...it's not coming from the windshield rubber, or the stud holes for the stainless trim around the windshield...I have ruled that out. The body was sandblasted and I suspect some factory sealant was blasted away, causing this. I think it has something to do with how the cowl pieces were put together, with the cowl vent in there too...it's a complex area and mostly hidden with fenders on.
I know it's tough to diagnose this, just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2010-09-02 12:09 PM (#239388 - in reply to #239380)
Subject: Re: Cowl area leak - 58 2 door hardtop -anyone had this?

Was the windshield out and the trim retainers for the windshield removed when the body was blasted? If so, the lower retainers were possibly not re-sealed when re-installed. The car would be channeling water through the mounting holes of these retainers which were sealed when installed new at the factory.
Resurrector
Posted 2010-09-02 11:38 PM (#239521 - in reply to #239380)

I explained that I have ruled that out. I carefully resealed those holes with silicone when I put the stainless back on...the water is coming from somewhere else. Thanks for the input though!
ply57nz
Posted 2010-09-02 11:56 PM (#239523 - in reply to #239521)

Regular

I had the same problem with the 4dr sedan I had and it seemed to be caused by bad sealer around the lip of the cowling area, the part of the cowl that is under the top of the fenders. If you stick your hand up under the dash you will find a ledge just above and in front of the hinges, that is where the water was coming in on mine.Trouble is you either have to take your fenders off or contort yourself to try and get it from the inside. Hope this helps.
Cheers Norm
59ride
Posted 2010-09-07 12:44 PM (#240089 - in reply to #239523)

Veteran

Our 59 Desoto had a water leak in the same area.I found the leak by pouring water colored with food colorings in different areas,different area.different color.My leaks came from pinholes on the top of the fire wall corners,under the windshield cowl(between the hood& windshield).A tough area to get to. I fixed the leaks by pouring POR-15 into the area thru the wiper hole area .Tte POR-15 filled the holes and coated the area .It has not leaked in 3 years.
FURY
Posted 2010-09-07 3:44 PM (#240117 - in reply to #239380)
Subject: RE: Cowl area leak - 58 2 door hardtop -anyone had this?

Elite Veteran

On the 57 and 58 Plymouth, a likely cause of the leak you mention is the bolt that goes through the rear-most "ear" of the front fender at the top (when you lift the hood it is the bolt at the back by the hood hinge) and attaches to the cowl area. Water can pool there and then run down the thread and drip off the bottom. Remove the bolt, apply sealer, reinstall the bolt to rule this out. If sealer was not applied when this bolt was installed then it WILL leak from that area.
Let us know when you find out what it was.
Glenn.
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2010-09-07 10:30 PM (#240197 - in reply to #239380)

Expert 5K+

I don't know if it is the same or not, but on my 56 Chrysler, the hood hinge bolts were threaded into the inside of the dash. There are large cork washers on it. Perhaps yours are crumbled or missing?.............MO
Resurrector
Posted 2010-09-08 1:33 AM (#240227 - in reply to #239380)

Good play, people, thank you. I will pursure these leads and share what I discover. It would sure be nice to give anyone else a heads up when their cars are apart and being restored, to address every possible scenario here.

Edited by 58dodgeregent 2010-09-08 1:35 AM
christine-lover
Posted 2010-09-12 7:53 PM (#241180 - in reply to #240197)

Expert

MOPAR-TO-YA - 2010-09-07 10:30 PM

I don't know if it is the same or not, but on my 56 Chrysler, the hood hinge bolts were threaded into the inside of the dash. There are large cork washers on it. Perhaps yours are crumbled or missing?.............MO

Yes, 57-59 also do that too, another thing to check. There are quite a bit of bolts that have to be sealed up when putting one of these cars back together.
Resurrector
Posted 2010-09-14 1:10 AM (#241372 - in reply to #239380)

That's for sure, Christine-lover, if in doubt, seal it up is what I've come to realize. I like your quote on Chuck Berry btw.

I looked at my parts car with a fender off; I think I see how water gets in, there's a seam that runs front to back, under the fender, top corner of cowl, and the area slopes downhill into the interior...and if not sealed, water could easily run into the kick panel area. Guess my fenders are coming off!
Resurrector
Posted 2011-03-01 11:22 PM (#263101 - in reply to #239380)

I think I have figured out where the water is coming in, well a couple areas for sure...I hope lots read this, as it's not something I'd have ever thought of, but I got in the car and had someone hose down the cowl area...water was streaming in through the holes for the plastic plugs that hold the firewall insulator on!! Water will run down past the hood, down the outside of the firewall and in those holes, if the plug is missing, damaged, as in my case, it had a small hole in the end of it, that's all it took for water to come through it like a fountain!
Secondly, water came in through a beforementioned "shelf" way up under there, you can feel it with your hand, and it goes downhill towards the inside. I pumped silicone along that seam, and smeared it in with a paintbrush. Saved having to take fenders off, whew!
So to anyone who has their car apart, fenders off, etc, SEAL EVERY SEAM AND HOLE!!! While it's easy to do!
I found a kick-ass product for most of this, is silicone made by Permatex, specifically for sealing glass, I think it's called Windshield and glass sealer...comes only in a small tube, it's awesome becasue it's quite liquid, and will flow into cracks and seams. Also areas like for example behind your hood hinges, where they meet up with the firewall...flows right into the crevice. Also keep in mind things like firewall grommets, they aren't going to seal after 50 years, that stuff will flow between them and your firewall. For sealing larger holes, I use Permatex's Right Stuff, as it's extremely high quality and quite thick, doesn't sag.
So don't assume water won't get in, assume it will every possible chance! It's disheartening to pull my rug up and find a new, but rusting floor...btw my underlay was STILL WET as of yesterday, after not seeing a drop of moisture since last september!!!! Underlay is what kills floors, I think.

Edited by 58dodgeregent 2011-03-01 11:28 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)