The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Annual car show guidelines
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

59finnedwarrior
Posted 2011-04-17 8:11 PM (#268933)
Subject: Annual car show guidelines

Extreme Veteran

In a perfect world you wouldn't have to detail stuff like this every year-here are the annual "how not to be a menace at a car show" rules...we've all had some experience with the common sense challenged at car shows.'
http://www.mystarcollectorcar.com/2-features/editorials/1105-qhes-g...

(apr11showimgp0224-1dest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments apr11showimgp0224-1dest.jpg (71KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
60 dart
Posted 2011-04-17 11:47 PM (#268955 - in reply to #268933)
Subject: Re: Annual car show guidelines

Expert 5K+

There is little value to knocking the pins out on a car guy's ride. He or she love their vehicles, regardless of whether it is a belle-of- the- ball show quality vehicle or not-and there is nothing to gain from an attack on it.-----------------------------imagine that , ------------------------------------------------------------------------later
dukeboy
Posted 2011-04-18 12:22 AM (#268959 - in reply to #268955)

Expert 5K+

Yep, had a guy come in the shop Friday. The first thing he does is make a B-line for a Customers 1951 Ford coupe. This customer is ANAL to say the least, and when I saw this hulking 350 LB guy begin to lean on the fender while looking at it as if it were his personal Leaning post, I cringed. I just don't get people at car shows anymore. there USED to be respect, but not anymore.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-18 12:28 AM (#268961 - in reply to #268955)

While I have learned to not use the term "never" in absolution, it will be a cold day in hell
before I ever take my cars into a car show again. Just looking at those photos of the lines
of mustangs with the mags and the hoods up nauseates me. Oh look! ... 25 of the same cars
you see at every show!

I like going to shows, ... at least the random ones not organized by a hotrod club or one of
the other big clubs where the show field is large and shows you just how many candy colored
Chevys have survived. The small town events where you will see what comes out of the
woodwork ..... A Winton, a LaSalle, who knows, maybe even a Forward Look Mopar ? !!!

The crowds, the hype, the cliche "Back to the 50's" bullsh!t, the tedium, the same old, same old
.... yuck! Sorry guys, been there, done that. That ain't what old cars are supposed
to be about. Go drive that tub and make the show whatever it is you pass through on your
backroads drive. Maybe even run into some small town car show where every car isn't one
of the half dozen you see everywhere you go ?
dukeboy
Posted 2011-04-18 12:45 AM (#268965 - in reply to #268961)

Expert 5K+

Ok Doc. for the umteenth time, we get the fact you don't do car shows..Sounds like you really actually want to go to one with all this talk about hatin' on 'em so much..With fuel prices what they are, most just wanna hang out with their buddies and BS the day away while a few people look at their rides..Don't hate Brent, appreciate....Admit to yourself, you miss all this BS and wish you could actually go and have a good time, but now that you've EXCLAIMED to the entire free world how much you hate the show scene, you have to force yourself to stay at home and be content a grumpy old ba**id, sitting on his front porch yelling at the kids..Talk about a cliche'....

Edited by dukeboy 2011-04-18 12:48 AM
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-18 1:27 AM (#268967 - in reply to #268965)

Yeah, ... that's me, "Mr. Cliche". Living the dream, sleeping out under the stars, cleaning my
weapon, posting sentry, MRE's, Kevlar.

I have no "buddies" at car shows. WTF you talking about ? Nothing but an ocean of boring
wannabe wish-I-was-still-in-high-school schlurps roasting in the sun and talking about the same
sh!t they talked about at the same show last weekend, and the weekend before that ....

Gas too pricey? Come to Afghanistan ! When was the last time you made 86K tax-free in a year
just taking in and handing out bags of laundry ?

There is more than one way to crack a nut. Old cars and car shows do not mandatorily go together
like 99.9% think.
StillOutThere
Posted 2011-04-18 7:33 PM (#269060 - in reply to #268933)

During some Saturday driving this past weekend I had the opportunity and did stop by two car events. One was a "Main Street Show" sponsored by the Corvette club. The other just a "cruise night".

There were 368 cars at the street show with two blocks of a state highway through town blocked off plus filling the city park. Only three dozen of those cars were NOT Corvettes and I appreciated each of them. IMPORTANTLY, the PUBLIC got to see and admire and learn about the cars, their owners, and the Americana we are important participants in and keepers of.

At the cruise in an upscale shopping area of this country's seventh largest city less than 75 cars attended dominated by late model Mustangs and Chargers / Challengers. There was one lonely fellow with a '64 Valiant convertible, low buck driver and we had a nice chat that he obviously needed in that sea of almost new cars. IMPORTANTLY, the PUBLIC got to see and admire and learn about the cars, their owners, and the Americana we are important participants in and keepers of. And this old hobbyist got to see the future of collecting as well as encourage a fellow Mopar enthusiast.

Sometimes I take a car to shows. Sometimes I'm the guy on shoe leather. My attendance is not about what the car show can or can't do for ME. Attending is a way to give continuing vibrancy to this car hobby, to talk with 50 people I'll never meet again and 5 people I haven't seen in a year or three. Car shows are the most public way we can share our hobby, far better than passing someone like they were standing still.

If we want to save the hobby, it will depend on our participation in it and car shows of various types are the most public part of that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)