The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Big Thank You
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-07 12:17 AM (#267387)
Subject: A Big Thank You

Johnny's Auto Wrecking used to sit along the old Woodinville-Duvall road. Over the hill behind
the shop a road ran east and west with three roads then branching north up the hill toward the
back of the yard. On the most easterly road, up near the crest of the hill sat two finned Plymouths.
I knew little about old cars back then, even less about Plymouths, but these two cars caught my
attention and many times I leaned up against a car across the aisle and studied the details of each.
I would later learn one was a 57 Plaza 4s, the other a 58 Belvedere 2HT, but back then all I saw was
one had quad headlights and a matching grille above and below the bumper, the other looked kinda
goofy to me, ... like someone had put a home made grille in the lower part and added a strange parking
light where the inside headlight was supposed to be. I find this memory funny, because it shows how
little I knew about these cars back then. I had just got my driver's license and my "new" 60 Buick had
me on the fast track to learning all about them.

That 60 Buick led me to all sorts of backwater wrecking yards that kept the oldies around. The next big
find was Ray's Auto Wrecking out near Silver Lake, south of Everett. Unlike Johnny, Ray stacked his cars,
in some places 5-6 high. Massive columns of cars, all tottered against each other, one could climb into the
pile and snake through the air space between the cars for hours. I don't think I was sure I had seen them
all even after years of climbing through them.
Up toward the front of the high pile, in the center of the yard sat a 60 Invicta that I took a flawless interior
out of. It sat near another one of those cool little Plymouths, this one a 58 Plaza 4s in a pretty light green.
As time went by, so did the interest in Buicks and soon it was all about Mopars. The little Plaza at Ray's
proved to be an interesting car, as it was a real stripper that no one had touched because it had none of
the desirable parts or options on it. It also was a scary car to mess with, as it sat under 3-4 cars, on the
bottom of the pile. But for whatever reason, Ray had left a small open space near that column and one
could actually step back and look at this car from the driver's side. I took a real shine to this car, even
though it was hopelessly buried under a mountain of cars. Back then, no one wanted a sedan. Certainly
not a seafoam green one, but there was something very charming about this car.

Back then my big chase was for the 58 DeSoto ragtop I have had for years now, but that little Plymouth
always stayed in the back of my head, thinking if I ever came across a Plaza like that, I'd buy it. I even
began to think about it seriously enough that I returned to Ray's to retrieve the body tags off that Plymouth
and build one from scratch, only to find a housing development where Ray's had been. I was bummed. I fell
victim to the bad attitude that sedans weren't worthy of making any special effort for, and that little car and
all those unique parts found on an el Strippo were gone forever.

Fast forward 30 years from when I first noticed that car and BINGO!

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35685&...

My interest in el Strippo cars has grown even more over the years, and something like a dumpy black-
walled four door sedan in puke green with dog dish hubcaps has sounded better and better with every
passing year. It pays to make your interests known, and I want to thank all my friends here on the forum
for a lot of laughs, pleasurable hours wasted, and in this case, a big thanks to David for posting the above
eBay listing, as I came out on top with the help of my dear wife on the bid key, and this toady little green
Plymouth will be coming home to my house and saved from becoming a parts car or painted red and white.
It will be preserved as a nice example of those cars so shunned and overlooked by the car hobby that favors
flash and glitter.

Big M has offered help in staging the car until I can get home from Afghanistan. Thanks John.

The timing could not have been worse. How to buy a car from a dusty outpost in the Afghan desert with only
occasional chopper traffic ? I guess this will all be part of a great history to go with the car.

Again, thanks all.

Doctor DeSoto / (Professor Plymouth?)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2011-04-07 1:08 AM (#267393 - in reply to #267387)
Subject: RE: A Big Thank You

Alrighty, Professor - first off, a sincere congratulations.

Now for some ribbing - I feel like the Dennis character in Christine. Everytime he would say "Hey, I tried to talk him out of it!" Everyone who heard the line had a snappy comeback along the lines of "you should have tried harder."
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-07 2:10 AM (#267396 - in reply to #267393)

Why ?

Because it is a sedan ?

... a real bare bones stripper sedan in a color typically considered ugly ?

... because you know the feeling of owning "too many" cars ?

... or just cuz the line from the movie works well ?

Funny thing is, I have been doing finned cars for so long now that I have seen them viewed
as nothing but hideous eyesores by the public at large, to now where they are highly appreciated
and can bring serious coin.

I like this car because it is the extreme opposite of what my DeSoto is. The Fireflite likely occupied
a front row spot in the window at the dealer showroom. The Plymouth was probably hidden on the back
lot and only shown to the ultra frugal prospect who came in with no money.

The two will look very good together.
jaggerman
Posted 2011-04-07 2:26 AM (#267399 - in reply to #267387)

Veteran

$2,550 to scratch a 30 year itch sounds like money well spent to me, congrats
di_ch_NY56
Posted 2011-04-07 2:33 AM (#267401 - in reply to #267387)

Expert

Dear Doctor

Big congratulation to your new aquirement! It's a stunning car with a history. A very rare 4s, absolutely stock and low opt. I appreciate your plan to keep it as a good wittness of time. Most of the cars like this wonderful green Plymouth all around the world were used out of the show room with an absolute minimum of maintenance, no care about growing rust and ran until they died.
You received a graduation from Doctor to Professor - Big congratulation!

Happy motoring!

Dieter
Great Lakes Belv
Posted 2011-04-07 3:05 AM (#267402 - in reply to #267387)
Subject: Re: A Big Thank You

Veteran

Congrats !!! I'm very happy you won the auction. It's always nice to see something other than a fury headed for a full restoration. That seafoam green is going to look spectacular when new and shiny.

One thing though... A pale green sedan with dogdish hubcaps, yet a V8 torqueflight with pwr steering and brakes? I half wonder if there's a little moonshine running history to this car!

Kudos for saving an obscure, yet awesome Forward Look.

57plybel
Posted 2011-04-07 4:25 AM (#267404 - in reply to #267387)

Extreme Veteran

Thats good news Brent.  I like what you have planned for it too.  Need to see a different interpretation !   With aircon too.  I'm seafoam green with envy.   AND permission from the boss?  How DO you do it?

Colin

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-07 4:39 AM (#267405 - in reply to #267404)

Thanks, you guys. I like the seldom seen stuff, and even among the seldom seen Forward
Look cars, some stand out as even more weird. These super plain jane utility cars were as
seldom seen as the flashy ragtops and go-fast cars, but with zero sex appeal, no one cared.
For years they have been chopped up for parts to restore the flashy cars. This one was just
too exceptional to see go to those ends. I agree, there has to be some good history behind
such a toady car getting the V-8, T/F, and PS, PB. Gov't car ? Moonshine ? Little Old Lady
From Pasadena ?

"The Boss" was pretty impressed with your car, Colin. Credit given where credit due, Amigo.

At first she poo-poo'd it when I brought it up, but when I explained what I wrote above, she
was all for it. She likes these cars and all things Googie, so it does not take any arm-twisting.

Romance advice for all: Choose well, treat kindly. Step one can be tricky. If you get step one
right, step two is easy, as is life with a good "partner".

Edited by Doctor DeSoto 2011-04-07 4:48 AM
soiouz
Posted 2011-04-07 8:37 AM (#267424 - in reply to #267387)

Expert

I was watching the auction, hoping you'd win it, and you did!!

Congratulations! I'm glad I could help and happy for you that this 30-year quest is over!
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-07 9:03 AM (#267428 - in reply to #267424)

Yes we did ! ... and again, thanks for posting !

Still waiting to hear from the seller about getting $$ to him. Once that is done, gotta
get it moved. One step at a time.
hemidave
Posted 2011-04-07 9:54 AM (#267437 - in reply to #267387)

Expert

Congrats, Doc. Like you, I have a very understanding wife who doesn't mind when I pull the trigger for a good car. Just don't sell one she likes, or there's trouble.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2011-04-07 3:17 PM (#267480 - in reply to #267396)

Doctor DeSoto - 2011-04-07 12:10 AM

Why ?

Because it is a sedan ?

... a real bare bones stripper sedan in a color typically considered ugly ?

... because you know the feeling of owning "too many" cars ?

... or just cuz the line from the movie works well ?

Just the last two, Perfessor! I definitely know the feeling of having too many restoration projects. There is enjoyment in restoring a car and enjoyment in driving a car. I know you will have fun with both. Just giving you a lil' ribbing.
big m
Posted 2011-04-07 3:34 PM (#267482 - in reply to #267387)

Expert 5K+

Glad to hear that you came out on top in the auction, Brent!

Keep me posted, so that I can arrange pick up of the car for you.

---John
Lisa P
Posted 2011-04-07 3:59 PM (#267485 - in reply to #267482)

Veteran

Congrats Doc! I love this story for many reasons. First, because you had an affinity for the style and car for so long it can only be sincere. Second, because as you said it, there are many who would have sought out the flashier two door models while the four door would have gone unnoticed. I have an anthropology degree with some courses in archaeology and one thing I learned is that back in the day, many "archaeologists" would only be concerned with the good stuff found in the graves of high status individuals. While these finds were sometimes spectacular, they often didn't reveal how 99% of the population was living. Now, the artifacts representing those daily lives are valued, much like a four door-representing a completely different demographic. Since I have three little girls, a two door wasn't an option for me as they insist on opening their doors by themselves. As for the color, ours is "surf green" and suits us just fine! Again, great find and you're right, the two will look great together!
slimwhitman
Posted 2011-04-07 10:02 PM (#267521 - in reply to #267485)

Elite Veteran

Great car!
Great color!
Great story!
Thanks for taking the time to tell your tale. I am also a fan of the stripper models and cannot wait to see your progress on it.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-08 1:00 AM (#267537 - in reply to #267521)

Back when they were new, of all the finned cars, my most prominent memory of any of
them is of the 58 Plymouth tail lights. As a little kid, they looked just like upturned lollipops
to me !

Another car that contributed to my interest in this car was a 1960 Dart el cheapo ... can't
remember if that was the Seneca or the Pioneer ??? Which one was the bottom of the line ?

Anyway, my friend John and I used to take several day road trips, hitting every backwater
wrecking yard and looking for cars wherever we might find them. Parked out front of Belfair
Auto Wrecking was this el Cheapo Dart 4s in that same soft light green, ... body color wheels,
dog dishies, slant 6 with 3-onda-tree, a spotless grey interior, ... just the cutest little Grandma
grocery gitter you ever saw. It was a real low miles original that had just come in - Grandma
prolly croaked and the kids had that old, ugly car hauled off - but the yard had not decided what
they were gonna do with it, if I remember correctly. I got busy and never followed up on it.
Hope it got saved, but given the anti-sedan attitude back then, I'll bet it got parted or crushed.

I like 60 Dodge, but consider the 58 Plymouth to be one of the top FL cars ever built and THE
BEST looking Plymouth ever built. This one may not be the super slippery 2HT, but I can live
with that. It is one of those cases of "It's so ugly, it's cute!" kinda things. That is one reason
I have held out for one in this color.

Edited by Doctor DeSoto 2011-04-08 1:02 AM
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-08 8:04 AM (#267558 - in reply to #267482)

big m - 2011-04-08 12:34 PM

Glad to hear that you came out on top in the auction, Brent!

Keep me posted, so that I can arrange pick up of the car for you.

---John

Payment has been sent. As soon as it is confirmed as received, we can move
forward on transport. How do you want to do this ? I will send a PM

Thanks John.
slimwhitman
Posted 2011-04-08 9:28 PM (#267637 - in reply to #267387)

Elite Veteran

I think my youth would have been a lot more interesting if I was about 10 years older. As a tike in the '70s, I remember seeing "old" cars from time to time and being mezmerized by them. Keep it mind that "old" = late '60s cars. I rarely remember seeing anything with fins on the road as a little kid in the late '70s in my rust-belt locale. By the time I was hitting the local salvage yards when in high school, it was the late '80s and most salvage cars were from the '73-80 era.... not exactly cars that lit a fire under me.

If only I could have subtracted 10 years from all my years above, I would have been in heaven.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-09 12:23 AM (#267652 - in reply to #267637)

Growing up on a farm, I began dragging cars home before I couldlegally drive. Got
my license in 76. At that time finned cars were not really that old, and were EXTREMELY
looked down upon by everyone. To be a fin fan meant swimming against a strong
current of ridicule. And to a kid, what is more important than having a "cool" car in
the eyes of his peers ?
So, yeah ... it was a boon time to be looking for them. But you were pretty much
putting yourself in the social isolation booth in the process. Giving it some thought,
we Forward Lookers still operate in something of a bubble, ... all alone and clandestinely
finding each other in distant places via things like this website. The big difference is how
the public now gets a smile on their faces when they see the car instead of spitting on it.

Edited by Doctor DeSoto 2011-04-09 12:25 AM
big m
Posted 2011-04-09 11:25 AM (#267700 - in reply to #267652)

Expert 5K+

Doctor DeSoto - 2011-04-08 9:23 PM

Growing up on a farm, I began dragging cars home before I couldlegally drive. Got
my license in 76. At that time finned cars were not really that old, and were EXTREMELY
looked down upon by everyone. To be a fin fan meant swimming against a strong
current of ridicule. And to a kid, what is more important than having a "cool" car in
the eyes of his peers ?
So, yeah ... it was a boon time to be looking for them. But you were pretty much
putting yourself in the social isolation booth in the process. Giving it some thought,
we Forward Lookers still operate in something of a bubble, ... all alone and clandestinely
finding each other in distant places via things like this website. The big difference is how
the public now gets a smile on their faces when they see the car instead of spitting on it.

I also well remember my folks saying how outdated tailfins were when we'd spot a fifties car still lumbering along in the early to mid seventies. Since you and I are roughly the same age, Doc, I can pretty well remember exactly the same sentiments from the general public regarding these cars then, of course, being in Michigan at the time, everything on the road older than ten years showed massive rust from the road salt, which didn't help matters.

---John
dukeboy
Posted 2011-04-09 11:27 AM (#267702 - in reply to #267700)

Expert 5K+

'Ya know Doc...I kinda like that car green..I know,I know....For whatever reason ,the 4drs and mint green paint works for me..
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-09 11:59 AM (#267708 - in reply to #267702)

Funny, but I don't think I'd like this green color very much on a two door HT, but
the less sleek lines of the sedan really work well with it. The combo was enough to
catch my attention back when I really had no interest in Mopars and stick with me
all these years. The dog dishies and body colored wheels are the ultimate selling
point for me.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-12 1:40 PM (#268210 - in reply to #267387)

Crossed another bridge today Rec'd this email tonight:

" We have received payment and will wait for further instructions on pick up! Thank you and have a great day "

So, that part is done. I can honestly say it is mine now.

Now to get it moved ! John, you want to get the ball rolling ? I'll hit you backchannel.

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-19 2:22 AM (#269100 - in reply to #268210)

John Fowlie emailed saying the hauler delivered the car to his place, as arranged. John will be
tossing an expert eye on it for missing parts and giving all the body cavities a thorough flush to
prevent rust. Desert cars develop a unique rust from dust accumulating in the lower body and
turning to a heavy mud when it rains.

Thanks John for orchestrating this and being such a help.
fintastic57
Posted 2011-04-19 11:26 AM (#269134 - in reply to #269100)

Veteran

Hey Doc, congrats on your purchase. My first 58 Plymouth was a Savoy 4 door sedan in metallic blue and white. First purchase that was not a 58 Plymouth was my dad,s 60 Dodge Dart Pioneer 2 door sedan slant six automatic. I know we don't agree on the "Christine" thing and some of the back in the day music, but still have similar tastes in the Forwardlook department. Best of luck with the new purchase, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Dick
spider89119
Posted 2011-04-19 11:55 AM (#269137 - in reply to #269134)

Extreme Veteran

fintastic57 - 2011-04-19 8:26 AM

Hey Doc, congrats on your purchase. My first 58 Plymouth was a Savoy 4 door sedan in metallic blue and white. First purchase that was not a 58 Plymouth was my dad,s 60 Dodge Dart Pioneer 2 door sedan slant six automatic. I know we don't agree on the "Christine" thing and some of the back in the day music, but still have similar tastes in the Forwardlook department. Best of luck with the new purchase, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Dick

Hey fintastic57, I just noticed you are in Spencerport, NY. I grew up in Gates. I saw a fine looking red 57 Plymouth at the Rick's Prime Rib cruise-in last summer when I was in town visiting family. Was that your car by any chance?
big m
Posted 2011-04-19 12:02 PM (#269139 - in reply to #269100)

Expert 5K+

Doctor DeSoto - 2011-04-18 11:22 PM

John Fowlie emailed saying the hauler delivered the car to his place, as arranged. John will be
tossing an expert eye on it for missing parts and giving all the body cavities a thorough flush to
prevent rust. Desert cars develop a unique rust from dust accumulating in the lower body and
turning to a heavy mud when it rains.

Thanks John for orchestrating this and being such a help.

I'm glad I could be of assistance to you, Brent.

---John
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-20 10:07 AM (#269232 - in reply to #269134)

fintastic57 - 2011-04-20 8:26 AM

Thanks.

Don't read me wrong. I like ANY 58 Plymouth in any color. I just encourage more emphasis on
being different and using original colors.

Also, I dig the early rock-n-roll as much as the next guy here. My point of argument is that it was
historically "kid's stuff" at the time our cars were new. Kids weren't the ones buying new cars, ... it
was their parents and grandparents. And these people were not real impressed with Elvis, if you know
what I am saying. Far more likely to be tuning into Xavier Cugat or Sinatra than any of that "delinquent
punk" stuff !

Kinda like putting a spoiler on your 58 Plymouth if historical / period themes mean anything to you.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-20 10:08 AM (#269234 - in reply to #269232)

Gonna move all future updates on the car to the PNW region board down below.

Thanks again, John.
Dave L.
Posted 2011-04-21 1:37 AM (#269382 - in reply to #267387)

Extreme Veteran

Great story, Doc, and the PNW can't wait for your return and to see the car's progress. I saw the shell of a similar Plymouth out towards Puyallup a few months ago, near a busy intersection. I wish more of those old yards were still here. I was just talking to someone today about the yard near McChord that used to be the only big yard around with MoPars. A few in the Auburn area. I never got around to finding those hidden ones here and there, but one MoPar friend seems to know where all the remaining ones are in the State. Keep us posted on you and your project.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-21 2:32 AM (#269386 - in reply to #269382)

My friend John and I found a lot of little Mom-n-Pop wrecking yards out there in that vast
expanse of uncharted territory south of Puyallup going towards Eatonville, Yelm, and on
down to Centralia.

Will keep the Region board updated.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)