The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting oil filter study.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Dave L.
Posted 2004-02-12 2:47 PM (#1174)
Subject: Interesting oil filter study.

Extreme Veteran

With all this talk about oils, I just thought I'd post this separately under another thread:

On a another Mopar website ( http://www.minimopar.net/ , where FWD means front-wheel-drive, not "forward") there are two versions of a very intereting running oil filter study (one before the industry got mad; one after). Take it for what it's worth, and I'm sure there will be some definite opinions, but I thought it was very enlightening. For one thing it made me stop using Mopar oil filters on my previous Daytona. Wondering what your thoughts are.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Edited by Dave L. 2004-02-12 3:04 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-02-13 11:55 AM (#1232 - in reply to #1174)
Subject: RE: Interesting oil filter study.

Wise Old Village Idiot

Well, I learned that the filters I have been using are better than average. Well, that's good in a way. Since I buy the two cheapest brand filters I can find.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR STORY! You had to have had lots of $$ and time used in your study!
Motorcarft FL1-A fits Ford and MoPar, and I could buy those filters at Wal-Mart for $2.77, or for $2.50 when the little smiley faced markdown guy, flys around the place.
Sometimes Advance Auto Parts has a sale, and I can buy Poureolater (However you are supposed to spell it) oil filter, two for $5.00. Normally they are $3. something. The Wal-Mart price is everyday.
ALL my other filters, Harley, trans, fuel, air, Hearse, lawn mower, every vehicle/machine I own, I get the Wix filters from www.filter1.com I can buy from them ceaper than what some of the parts places pay wholesale!
The only catch in ordering Wix filters form them is, you have to get a min of 5 filters, or the shipping charges will eat you alive!
The Wix oil filter thats equal the FL1-A is like $2. 80 or 90 something. So I have been using the Motorcarft oil filters, only. (the F-250, I'm going to guess that only 10 or 20k miles have been with Fram, the rest was with Motorcraft.)
With me paying a couple, to three bucks each for air filters, I change 'em out on the daily drivers every May. I use to try and blow out the dirty filters, but since I can get them so cheap now , I'm sure by changing air/crankcase breather filters, once a year (and they are dirty, but not a cruddy as some filters I've seen) my vehicles will run a little better, and last just alittle longer.
As far as Fram filters, I've hear nothing but horror stories about them.
I use to be able to get Fram PH8-A for the same price as the Motorcarft, at Wal-Mart. I noticed that my oil got dirty quicker with the Fram. Plus the air filter sayed cleaner longer than some others. (?)
I heard that a couple of Cummins (Dodge) the Fram fuel filters had little bits of filter media break off and plug the piston cooling holes, causing piston/cly damage!
Plus Cummins (Dodge) would not endorse the use of Fram filters!
Allied -Signal was going bankrupt or something like that. So to stay afloat, they bought out Fram filters. I heard though the parts store I buy from, told me that Fram filters' quality controll went straight down the tubes after that, and they (parts store) switched from Fram over to Wix. (?) So there must be some truth to the Fram horror story.
But like all of us, there are some out there that are very loyal to Fram (or other brand loyal) and have had no problems, and will swear by their product. That's what will make a good 'bench racing' subject, for a bunch of aging, pot bellied, bald headed, cock roosters, to 'crow' about at Carlisle. (Plus maybe past sexual conquests)
On the GM Hearse, which has a 5.7 Caddy motor, exactly the same thing as a 350 Chevy, I use the one quart GM pick-up filter, instead of the little half quart filter that normaly comes on the GM cars.
A half quart more filter has to be better, right?
Dave L.
Posted 2004-02-13 8:07 PM (#1252 - in reply to #1174)

Extreme Veteran

I was hoping you'd reply, Can-Man - thanks for your thorough and always enjoyable input. However, judging from one line in your reply, I think maybe you thought (and maybe my post sounded like) I had something to do with the study, which I didn't. It's just one of the many pages I've bookmarked because some people have a lot of time and money to discover and study things like this and make a web page. I have to check the latest version. Last I read, the Napa silvers were just as good as the golds, but the silvers occasionally go on a killer sale. Anyway, just is case it sounded like I had anything to do with it, I wanted to set that straight - I can take no credit. Besides, such money, time, patience, and web skills are things I don't have.

Edited by Dave L. 2004-02-13 8:09 PM
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-02-13 11:29 PM (#1278 - in reply to #1174)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Dave, you could have fooled me.
I thought YOU did this study on your spare time, the way I read it.
Oh well. Thanks for the kind words.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)