The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Charging Challenge, need advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Beltran
Posted 2013-08-15 11:17 PM (#391505)
Subject: Charging Challenge, need advice.

Expert

So it's cruise week here in Detroit and Woodward Ave is a parking lot after 3pm. Takes an hour to go about 4 miles. This is expected at this time of the year.

I am out there with the rest of the tri-state area looking at cars and ....idling down the road. It's 80 degrees and the electric cooling fan is doing it's job keeping the engine cool and I have no issues. As I said it takes us about an hour to get to our destination at 13 and Woodward. We stop get out of the car and walk around for 20 min and then it's time to go. I jump in the car and ... click click click click... No juice to turn the starter.

So my theory is that idling in the car for an hour is not good for the battery. Generator's need 1500 RPM to actually begin charging the battery.. Idling at 600 rpm for an hour, in a probably weaker than normal battery killed it.

I am slightly skeptical though as I can't see why it would do this and be functional in 1956. I mean if you had a trip to work every day that was really short, and you used the headlights and heater each time then you would likely cause the same effect. How could this behavior be tolerated... seems that you would need to put your car on a charger at least once a week to bring the battery back to normal.

I can see the altimeter showing the positive and negative charge points so I know the regulator is controlling the charge rate. Maybe it's not charging enough?

Any lessons you can share would be helpful. Car is in the yard with the charger on it... I hope I didn't kill another battery... oh and yes.. this is the second new battery in the last 8 months.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jimntempe
Posted 2013-08-15 11:34 PM (#391511 - in reply to #391505)
Subject: Re: Charging Challenge, need advice.

Expert

My memory dimly tells me that back in that day people used to regularly get their batteries charged when they were getting their 3000 mi oil changes if not before. And I doubt many people went for as long as you did basically at a crawl and not getting any generator output.
rbmain
Posted 2013-08-15 11:46 PM (#391514 - in reply to #391505)

Electric fans didn't exist in 1956, and they draw a lot of juice. The big advantage of alternators over generators was they charge at low RPM's, even at idle. Back in 1956, 99% of run time was way above idle, so it wasn't a problem for the vast majority. In the 1950's and 60's in Japan the generators and batteries were so weak, that all the old time drivers learned to turn off headlights while stopped or waiting at a light. Some of the oldest drivers in Japan still do it today, even with new Toyotas.
wizard
Posted 2013-08-16 1:48 AM (#391526 - in reply to #391505)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Another issue is if you use a maintenance free "normal" battery that doesn't need to be topped up with destilled water. In our cars, idling in cruising and such, the temperature inside the engine compartment will make the water evaporate and if possible, you'll need to fill the "maintenace free" battery up with water.

Look for signs of dried acid around the battery - it will be like finegrinded salt
1959Dodge
Posted 2013-08-16 8:35 AM (#391552 - in reply to #391505)

Expert

I recall when my Dad bought his first car, (Believe it or not!

He bought a 1955 Dodge Custom Royal with the hemi.

It was dark by the time we left the dealership so He had to turn on the lights.

Well He wanted to "Baby the new Baby" so He "Pussiefooted home"
(IE drove like a lil old lady).
Car had powerflite tranny and He probaby didnt go much over 30
plus drove surface streets and got caught by the "usual traffic signals".

We get home. He shuts the car off and wants to see how she starts back up.
NO GO, battery deader than a door nail.

Like said, that's why they went to alternators.

When I drove cars with gennys, I would put the car in neutral and give the car a lil gas if I was
stopped for any amount of time at night, (Train, long lite traffic jam, etc).

Things that can help is get a big a battery as you can, and keep it charged with a battery charger.

I even do this for my 59 vert, even thou it does have an alternator, as I sometimes play that DVD player
for 4 hours or so, (car starts fine even after all running it all day), but I want to BE SURE, that the battery if fully charged after playing
the DVD player , so I put it on the charger.

Gary
Beltran
Posted 2013-08-16 2:19 PM (#391586 - in reply to #391505)

Expert

Well the battery charged all night and the charge says it was fully charged. The battery light reads partially green and orange. I think I am confusing it. The car starts fine and the altimeter doesn't go quite so negative at idle. I think I will use that as a sign that the battery is weak when I see that happening.

The experiences above make me feel a little better. Was beginning to think I had a bad Genny or something. Battery charging will now be standard practice after a night of cruising.

Oh and add a electric fan and fuel pump and you have a bit more draw there at idle than the standard 56 vehicle. An alternator conversion is in the future I think.
60 dart
Posted 2013-08-16 5:38 PM (#391623 - in reply to #391505)

Expert 5K+

try turnin the idle up just a tad . even sittin at idle in driveway my light never comes on or drains the battery . yes the charge light does work . it will come on if my
idle is way low . when you come home , you can also up the idle for a few minutes before shutting down for the day . it doesn't take a genny as long to charge a
battery as charger does . now if you have a parasitic drain , that's a different story------------------------------------------------later

Edited by 60 dart 2013-08-16 5:40 PM
big m
Posted 2013-08-16 7:18 PM (#391656 - in reply to #391505)

Expert 5K+

I still use generators on my drivers, and have never had battery charge issues. Sometimes, at idle with headlights and heater fan on, the charge light will glow, but being in the country, traffic jams are seldom. I also do not have an electric fan, stereo amplifier, or other accessories that could cause the generator to not keep up.

---John
ttotired
Posted 2013-08-16 8:50 PM (#391686 - in reply to #391505)

Expert 5K+

Electrical use is aesy to understand if you think of a bucket of water.

The loads you put on the system are like holes in the bucket (battery), the more or the bigger the holes, the faster the water goes away.

The chargeing system (genny or alternator) is a hose trying tho keep the bucket full.

To many or to big holes and your bucket will empty

I try to use this analagy with my wife and money, but it does not work

wizard
Posted 2013-08-17 3:21 AM (#391772 - in reply to #391505)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

I run this extra optional load with the standard generator; Power windows, power seat, rear defogger, electric support fan, Auto-Pilot, Mirrormatic, RCA record changer and a modern stereo. Never any charging issues yet, but then I try to avoid too much cruising queues.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)