The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Venanzio Motors Windber, PA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

ronbo97
Posted 2011-08-18 1:14 PM (#285218)
Subject: Venanzio Motors Windber, PA

Expert

Venanzio Motors in Windber, PA, was the dealership that sold my 58 Plymouth. From information that I've pieced together, this was a really small dealership that would sell less than a dozen cars a year. Then went out of business in Sept. 1965.

Does anyone have any information about this dealership ? I've tried calling the local Chamber of Commerce, town hall, etc., and nobody could provide me with anything useful.

Ron

Top of the page Bottom of the page
slimwhitman
Posted 2011-08-18 1:36 PM (#285223 - in reply to #285218)
Subject: Re: Venanzio Motors Windber, PA

Elite Veteran

Did you check with the local library? http://somersetcountypalibraries.org/ They may have historical resources for you to scour. An old business directory will get you started, but you will probably have to drive there to do your research.
ronbo97
Posted 2011-08-18 2:45 PM (#285228 - in reply to #285223)

Expert

Thanks Slim.

That's what I had to do when researching my 59 Dodge. Fortunately, it was sold new in NJ, so not too far away.

Ron

ruchaven
Posted 2011-08-21 10:14 PM (#285672 - in reply to #285218)

Expert

Ron,

I can probably help you out. I have a friend who is from Windber and owns a 1970 Plymouth Duster bought in Windber, he might know. I found a Joseph Venanzio who owned a Chrysler/Phymouth dealership from about 1954 until 1966(?). The Johnstown Tribune Democrat newspaper would be the place to find old car ads from that time period. If you can wait until next summer at Carlisle, I can take you to Harrisburg to the PA State Archives to research the newspapers. While Windber is in Somerset County, I don't think that will help you going that way.
ronbo97
Posted 2011-08-21 10:52 PM (#285675 - in reply to #285672)

Expert

ruchaven - 2011-08-21 10:14 PM Ron, I can probably help you out. I have a friend who is from Windber and owns a 1970 Plymouth Duster bought in Windber, he might know. I found a Joseph Venanzio who owned a Chrysler/Phymouth dealership from about 1954 until 1966(?). The Johnstown Tribune Democrat newspaper would be the place to find old car ads from that time period. If you can wait until next summer at Carlisle, I can take you to Harrisburg to the PA State Archives to research the newspapers. While Windber is in Somerset County, I don't think that will help you going that way.

Thanks Harry ! How did you come across the info on Joseph Venanzio ? Does the PA State Archives keep newspapers from all over the state, going back 50+ years ? Also, if I went to Johnstown Library, wouldn't they have copies of the paper ?

Ron

59 explorer
Posted 2011-08-22 11:04 AM (#285710 - in reply to #285218)

Extreme Veteran

Ron: With respect to tracking down small town dealerships, ideally go to the county where the dealership was located. Find the library-they usually have microfilm of the local weekly (not the daily) papers. As a starting point seek out the ones around announcement time, the holidays especially Thanksgiving and Christmas and look for the ads. Oft times they show pictures of the dealership, names of owners and staff and the like. For a small fee most libraries will copy for you

Likewise libraries often have phone books on microfilm. From there you might get addresses etc. In addition libraries might still have the business directories which provide names and addresses etc

Another long shot would be to find the phone company in the area if it hasn't been absorbed 5 times already-they might have phone books back to the period

If nothing else maybe you can get a picture of the dealership as it stands today. Check out the attic and basement of the building-you might find something

ruchaven
Posted 2011-08-22 2:40 PM (#285740 - in reply to #285218)

Expert

Claudia's side of the family is from the area. The PA State Archives does keep many, if not all of the newspapers published in the state - it depends upon the newspaper if they submitted microfilm copies. I just figured Harrisburg would be closer than Johnstown, that's all. Since last night I was thinking that Laurel Motors on Eisenhower Boulevard in Geistown may be the successor to Venanzio, if that is any help. I may see my friend Ken that has the Duster at the local car cruise on Friday. Whoever he special ordered his car from in 1970 would be the successor to Venanzio Motors.
ronbo97
Posted 2011-08-22 9:48 PM (#285799 - in reply to #285740)

Expert

I may try to call the PA State Archives to verify that they have that newspaper, and if they have microfilm going back to Oct '57 (beginning of model year).

Ron

ruchaven
Posted 2011-08-23 9:34 AM (#285841 - in reply to #285218)

Expert

Hi Ron,
This is Claudia. Harry said you were looking for information on Venanzio Motors in Windber. What is it exactly that you are looking for? Since I dabble in genealogy a little bit, you might want to try locally to use the LDS Family Search Center resources before traveling anywhere. Just check on the family name Venanzio in Windber, PA. These facilities are free and they do subscribe to pay per view websites such as newspaperarchive.com. Also, if you are or can be come a local library patron, there is a service called interlibrary loan where you may be able to request microfilm copies of the newspaper and have them sent to your local library where you can view them. The service may be free or with a small charge. You can check online for the Cambria County Library System for Windber items. Only a native to the area would know that even though Windber is in Somerset County, it has always identified itself with the larger Johnstown, PA area which is mostly Cambria County. I hope this helps you and anyone else looking for dealer related information about their cars.
ronbo97
Posted 2011-08-23 9:44 AM (#285843 - in reply to #285841)

Expert

Thanks Claudia ! I've never dealt with genealogy. Can you send me a link to the website you mentioned ? Also, I'm trying to determine how Harry found out this information:

I found a Joseph Venanzio who owned a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership from about 1954 until 1966(?).

Where did he get this info from ?

Thanks,

Ron

ruchaven
Posted 2011-08-23 1:49 PM (#285872 - in reply to #285218)

Expert

Actually I found it. I did a Google search and found an obit posted in the St. Petersburg Times newspaper in Florida dated May 28. 1988 for a Joseph Venanzio formerly of Windber, PA. That newspaper is a pay per view, that is why I suggest going to a LDS Family Search Center to look - they subscribe to a number of pay per view sites, plus you will have a skilled volunteer there to help you look in other areas if you wish for free. Since I couldn't read the whole obit on Google, you will have to go from there. The 1966 date is my personal guess, since my aunt was looking around that time to trade in her '65 Mustang that she didn't like, and I remember being to a new Chrysler dealership in our travels, and it wasn't Venanzio. There was a new bypass at that time built around Windber, and this dealership was out on the new road, PA Route 56. Our friend Ken who grew up in Windber might know more and hopefully we might see him Friday in Shrewsbury at the cruise. In terms of news stories or pictures, they are more of a challenge, but I would try to find high school yearbooks, or event programs where a business would advertise. Windber had its own high school, and the local Windber Speedway was a popular circle dirt race track where they might have advertised. Hope this helps a little bit.
NCMike
Posted 2011-09-04 12:28 PM (#287528 - in reply to #285675)

New User

What is it that you are after from Venanzio Motors? My mother was married to the son of the owner. Each has since passed.
ronbo97
Posted 2011-09-04 12:49 PM (#287529 - in reply to #287528)

Expert

NCMike - 2011-09-04 12:28 PM What is it that you are after from Venanzio Motors? My mother was married to the son of the owner. Each has since passed.

Hi Mike -

Here are some things that come to mind:

• A photo of the dealership
  • Original dealer letterhead
  • A business card from the owner or a salesman
  • Address of the dealership
  • Any kind of advertising, such as a copy of an ad that ran in the newspaper
  • A promotional item with the name of the dealership on it

Please let me know what you come up with. You can PM me, or send an email to ronbo97@Comcast.net. Thanks ! I really appreciate it.

Ron

ruchaven
Posted 2011-09-05 7:48 PM (#287690 - in reply to #285218)

Expert

Welcome Mike, and thank you for helping Ron out. Its nice to hear from someone with roots from the Johnstown, PA area.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)