The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Upholstery Shop & Window Reassembly Help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Devioussquirrel
Posted 2012-04-30 10:34 PM (#319074)
Subject: Upholstery Shop & Window Reassembly Help!

Extreme Veteran

Hello,

I've been foiled in my search for a high quality upholstery shop. The first place changed the direction of the cloth grain between the front and rear seats. It's not immediately noticeable to the casual observer but it drives me crazy. The second place repadded and recovered my front armrests; the final product looked like something out of 3rd grade arts and crafts class. I'd like to have the armrests redone. The parts are small, so I can ship them anywhere. I have more than enough of the correct SMS vinyl. I even have have a reasonable original armrest to serve as a template. Can anyone recommend a top notch shop? For this particular piece, money is no longer an object. It just has to be done right.

Now to a separate topic. I'm in the process of reassembling the quarter windows of my '58 Firedome Sportsman. The outer frames have been replated, the glass is nice and I was able to save the rubber gaskets. The pot metal channel in which the quarter window sits is rough and corroded. However, it is intact. Should I apply any kind of sealant between the channel and the window rubber?

One final request, does anyone have a close-up photo of a side window and quarter window on a '57-'58 Chrysler or DeSoto 2 dr hardtop? I'm trying to recall how they are supposed to look when the windows are up.

Thanks!

Justin in Texas
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2012-05-01 9:58 PM (#319208 - in reply to #319074)
Subject: RE: Upholstery Shop & Window Reassembly Help!

Extreme Veteran

Here is a photo of the quarter window base with the channel for the glass. It looks like the bow of the sunken Titanic from this angle.

Edited by Devioussquirrel 2012-05-01 9:59 PM

(Qtr Window Channel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Qtr Window Channel.jpg (181KB - 210 downloads)
Chrome58
Posted 2012-05-02 4:01 AM (#319227 - in reply to #319074)
Subject: RE: Upholstery Shop & Window Reassembly Help!

Expert

Devioussquirrel - 2012-05-01 4:34 AM

... The pot metal channel in which the quarter window sits is rough and corroded. However, it is intact.
Should I apply any kind of sealant between the channel and the window rubber ?

If it's like my quarter window frame (and it sure looks lite it), it's not pot metal, but cast aluminum.
Which means that the white stuff you see is aluminum oxyde. And it does not corrode the frame.
There can be also some steel rust stains but they come from other places (regulator, bolts, body, ...).

To clean it, simply use a steel wire brush.

Edited by Chrome58 2012-05-02 4:02 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)