The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever been to a downtown car show where....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

imopar380
Posted 2013-09-23 1:27 PM (#399236 - in reply to #392214)
Subject: Re: Ever been to a downtown car show where....

Expert 5K+

I rarely go to a car show these days, and if I do it's to look at the other cars and socialize, I don't go hoping for any trophy. The car shows I do attend are mostly at the WPC Regional Meets, which we've been doing in the Northwest for many years, and these events are a lot of fun with a lot of socializing, and the trophies are often "fun" trophies - ie largest trunk, longest antenna, car with most chrome, etc etc., and sometimes best of show for each make represented. It's all people's choice... which can skewer the judging but it's still a lot of fun at these meets. The worst experience I had at a car show was a 300 Club National Meet in Rancho Cordova, CA. I had my very nice 62 300- Sport there, which had a beautiful straight body, great paint, beautiful correct leather interior and detailed engine compartment, correct size tires etc.,....... I lost out to a local with the same year / model. That car looked like it had been painted with a vacuum cleaner, the rear seat leather was in shreds, and the hood was not even open. That particular show was " concours type" judging with a panel of judges, as is the case with the 300 Club. Some of the other members just shook their heads in dis-belief when the winner was announced, and quietly stated to me that someone made a huge mistake somewhere, or politics were involved. Anyhow that's all in the past. I'm no longer a 300 Club member, but I do still belong to WPC - mostly for the fact that we have our great Regional Northwest Meets each summer. The last WPC National Meet that was held in the west was in Sacramento in 2009, and it does not look like there will be another National Meet on the west coast for at least several years more.

Most of the enjoyment I get from my car is driving it - and I drive it a lot. We've had it now just over 5 years and have put 19,500 miles on it in that time. During the years I owned the 300, from 1982-2008, I put 64,000 miles on it. The Polara raked up 58,000 during the time I owned it from 1974-1995. And most of that driving was done in good weather!

If I need to go somewhere, and it's not work, and the weather looks good, then I take the Saratoga.

Edited by imopar380 2013-09-23 6:56 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DIF-RNT
Posted 2013-09-23 2:01 PM (#399238 - in reply to #392214)

I also get more enjoyment driving my forward...in fact it is my favorite.....we have cruise in's every night of the week around here in the spring, summer & early fall..which are quite enjoyable....don't even take a chair as I like walking & talking
Powerflite
Posted 2013-09-23 5:36 PM (#399261 - in reply to #399238)

Expert 5K+

I went to another car event that was quite fun. It was the Car Craft "Anti-Tour" in May. They cruise from Los Angeles to Morro Bay and participate at a car show there. There was a tour of the Wilwood brakes facility at the beginning that was interesting, but the fun part was interacting with everyone on the cruise during the stops and driving around, following each other. Not as fun as camping, but still more fun than the typical car show. The Van crowd were there in numbers and were a fun bunch to hang out with. You can see my gold '70 Satellite wagon in the 4th picture down

http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverage/1305_ccrp_2013_car_craft_anti...

as well as here:

http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverage/1305_ccrp_2013_car_craft_anti...

with the caption: "On the road in a wagon!" Hopefully, I can get my Windsor ready before next year - probably without new paint, but definitely with a new windshield. Or I might take the Savoy instead if I can get the motor rebuilt by then.
DIF-RNT
Posted 2013-09-23 7:43 PM (#399283 - in reply to #392214)

anything to mix it up and we all need some mixing up...looks like it was a good time
Cmangeot
Posted 2013-09-23 8:39 PM (#399292 - in reply to #399283)

Extreme Veteran

Ian....I promise it is not just because we both have 60 Chryslers....I have never taken my car to a show... Even though I might get a best unrestored class... I don't care to have others opinion of my car...even though it is original down to the paint. It only amassed 38,000 miles it he 3 owners and 52 years before it got it, but it now has over 40,000 miles and growing. Driving a 60 Chrysler and any other forward look or vintage car IS the enjoyment. Anyone can over restore a car and trailer it around...I'll drive mine..
imopar380
Posted 2013-09-23 10:41 PM (#399324 - in reply to #399292)

Expert 5K+

Cmangeot - 2013-09-23 5:39 PM

Ian....I promise it is not just because we both have 60 Chryslers....I have never taken my car to a show... Even though I might get a best unrestored class... I don't care to have others opinion of my car...even though it is original down to the paint. It only amassed 38,000 miles it he 3 owners and 52 years before it got it, but it now has over 40,000 miles and growing. Driving a 60 Chrysler and any other forward look or vintage car IS the enjoyment. Anyone can over restore a car and trailer it around...I'll drive mine..

I often go to a cruise-in at a local place here on Saturday evenings during Summer months. Mostly street rods but lots of guys who like to talk and the Saratoga usually draws a crowd when I pull in with it. That's better than sitting around for 4-5 hours at a car show.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)