The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1957 DeSoto Firedome Convertible - The "Glide"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Firedome-TX
Posted 2014-06-13 7:16 PM (#445000)
Subject: 1957 DeSoto Firedome Convertible - The "Glide"

Hi,

I bought my 1957 Desoto Firedome Convertible in 1994 after seeing it sitting in a parking lot with the roof collapsed and water standing in the floorboards. She obviously had not seen any care in some time and my first thought was...hey, she holds water...cant be that bad!

I found some photos and will post them in a moment.

After tracking down the owner and coming to an agreement I took her home and back under a shed. Did a quick budget fix on a large number of items and then just drove her happily for many years (without a roof).

It was parked near the university somewhere for a while. A friend of mine gave me a photo from 1990 that he took of it prior to my ownership...it was white with a blue top on it. Blue and white tuck and roll interior.
From what I can tell this car was modified into a mild custom in the early 60's. When I first found her, I chased down the two prior owners, before the guy I bought it from, and they all said it was already modified when they owned it.
(All the work was gas welded and leaded. No bondo)

In 2004, I moved and built a new garage with a space inside just for her.

2006 - started to fix some of the wrongs done to her by and others. Had her media blasted, started to repair the quarters and rust spots....then had some kids. Work stopped again for a bit.

------------------------------------------
What I am hunting for and where we are at on it:

Floors (mostly under the rear seat)
Trunk floor replacement panel
---I have spoken with John (Big M) and Gary (netparts) and they are on the job and checking for me.

recommendations for convertible pump and cylinders supplier?

Who makes a good top upholstery kit?

Eventually will return a 341 back under the hood...but the 361 with dual AFB's is there and it runs right now. So I have a "budget" long term hunt there... Unless someone here has a spare rebuilt 341 they want to find a home for...

Does anyone make a decent replacement wiring harness for a `57 Desoto Firedome Convertible? or do I need to use a "Painless" or equivalent aftermarket kit?

---Spoke with Greg Leggatt regarding his wiring and looks to be just what the doctor ordered...will order once body is better

Reputable supplier for replacement gas tank?

---so far "made in Canada" is the input

Anyhow...that's the story. Thanks for all your input so far & Looking forward to getting to know y'all better!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)