The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interchange Air cooled converter / Water cooled converter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

VAN HELSING
Posted 2014-08-05 10:13 PM (#451776)
Subject: Interchange Air cooled converter / Water cooled converter

Elite Veteran

Some questions ...........

I've got at home here an AIR cooled Torqueflite that I bought converterless and bell housingless a couple of years ago which I was hoping to bolt to a 413 I bought in the same transaction.

Unless I can find a converter and bellhousing to bolt this trans to my 413 , this air cooled T/F will probably be a very heavy door stop for me.

Since then I have also managed to find a complete 361 from a '59 Desoto with bellhousing and converter still attached, bought it because it was cheap. This converter is from a WATER cooled T/F, has a 13 inch converter body and has 172 tooth ring gear on it.So still no use for the AIR cooled trans.

I've just bought this trans

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Desoto-Automatic-Transmission-1959-Mopar...

Seller says it's from a 361 Desoto and from the pics it's obviously an AIR cooled trans.

I've also bought this AIR cooled converter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dodge-Chrysler-Desoto-Torque-Convertor-/...

Seller says it's from a 361 also and it has a 12 inch converter body and has 146 tooth ring gear.

So,

I have a 13 inch converter body with 172 tooth ring gear from a WATER cooled Trans and from a 361 from seller 1.

I also have a 12 inch converter body with 146 tooth ring gear from an AIR cooled Trans and supposedly from a 361 fom seller 2.

I also have an AIR cooled trans with bellhousing also supposedly from a 361 from seller 3.

1. I don't have seller 3 trans home yet but from the pics in the links above, does it look like a big block bellhousing from say a 361 ( as the sellers says ) OR is it a Poly bellhousing ?

2. The 12 inch AIR cooled converter with 146 tooth ring gear, would it have been from a 361 as the seller said ?

3. The 13 inch WATER cooled converter with 172 tooth ring gear and 12 inch AIR cooled converter have seemingly the exact same size ring gear diameter and seem exactly the same with exeption of one being 12 inch and one being 13 inch converter bodied and difference in tooth count , so , in theory, I could buy a 172 tooth ring gear and fit to the AIR cooled converter.

Anyone ever fitted a 172 tooth ring gear to a 146 tooth converter ?

If it's possible, this would allow my air cooled trans to the fit behind behind my 413 ? providing that bellhousing from that trans ( the one in the ebay link above ) is indeed from an air cooled 361 as the seller said.

Or am I going to find problems in all of this ?

Any constructive thoughts appreciated......

Top of the page Bottom of the page
VAN HELSING
Posted 2014-08-05 11:44 PM (#451787 - in reply to #451776)
Subject: RE: Interchange Air cooled converter / Water cooled converter

Elite Veteran

Hmmm............

Just re-read my above post.......... seems convoluted a bit..........

1. Does that bell housing in the ebay link above on that air cooled Torqueflite look like it would fit an A Poly or a B/RB big block ?

2. If it fitted a B/RB big block and I fitted a 172 tooth ring gear to that air cooled 146 tooth converter in the above ebay link then would anyone have any idea whether I could/would/will/maybe have any unforseen problems using it on an air cooled trans behind either a 361 B block OR 413 RB big block ?

Guess that's pretty well what I'm trying to find out in the novel typed above ..........

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)