The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

car builders.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Vendor DiscussionMessage format

ozysteve
Posted 2014-07-14 8:51 PM (#449131)
Subject: car builders.....

Veteran

This SAGA is now all over for me......And I would like to clear up some untruths in the original advertising post on this forum trying to sell my car. I never wanted to sell this project off. The car and its parts being sold off had nothing to do with me buying a survivor car here in Australia....NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THAT. My builder dropped it.

The reason I purchased the survivor car was that after waiting for years and years (2008 - 2014) for my build to be completed with little to no progress and very little information,, I couldn't wait any longer for the car that was supposed to be being built for me. I turned 50 in 2013 and had to spend more money to satisfy a dream I had held since 1983. that dream is now utterly shattered.!!!! and this had nothing to do with any choice to walk away from the contract, It was made in utter frustration and dismay.

WE had committed to a completed frame off build, all turnkey and complete with an agreed price and material supply.

My mistake was to trust the information presented and in front of me and the advice I received and was given, based on this I paid my contract price up front "FOOLISH". To be fair the car I originally purchased was miss represented by the seller, (Also a well known forward look hobbyist, who i will not name) THIS CAR WAS ROTTEN and was sold to me without honesty and truthfulness, but equally i was not told about this OR advised as such by my contracted builder and proceeded to spend more good money on progressing this build only to have it fall in a heap EVEN after receiving videos telling me how good it was.

Then onto buying the second car, the one just sold and shown in the posted advert, to which I am very grateful to those who purchased the car and parts, you have relieved me of a serious burden at a very difficult personal time. This car was planned to be a built using the purchased parts and to transplant the roof from the original car.

Again, I went into this build under the advice and guidance of my builder only to have this fall in a heap as well and parked in the corner.........for YEARS !!!! little to no information followed and then I received outside information to tell me that i should get out of the contract whilst I could, salvage and sell as much as possible as soon as I could :THINGS HAD CHANGED", , news was spreading fast and disturbingly and I was left way out in the cold and could do nothing......Being from the other side of the planet......how could I give up on the thousands of dollars, how could I.

So, thankfully, this nightmare is now over.......and I am out of pocket considerably....THOUSANDS!!!

There is always two sides to a story, , however mine was commitment and honesty driven, with integrity, based up years experience of running a successful business., dealing with my customers in a truthful and fair way, making certain that my customers were looked after and my contracts were honoured and never dropped if it didn't suit my plans. 20 years of honouring my contracts and fulfilling my commitments regardless of the management hours and labour hours consumed. I quote it, I accept the contract, I supply it.....PERIOD

I was never approached to renegotiate anything...NOT ONCE. So trusted the contract would be honoured.

So, my advice here is to be very careful with whom you contract to build or refresh your car, or any other vehicle for that matter. Not everyone is as they seem....DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE ASK QUESTIONS, SPEAK TO END CUSTOMERS ON ALL OF THE FORUMS........

Im sorry for having to post this, it is not a pleasant thing to have to do on such a good forum..........but i have been seriously effected financially and emotionally by this experience and hope that my posting this draws attention to my plight and outcomes and improves others chances of getting the car of their dreams.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
safetymike77
Posted 2014-07-14 10:27 PM (#449144 - in reply to #449131)
Subject: Re: car builders.....

Expert

First off, I was not a part of the deal, nor do I even know what the heck you are talking about... But....

There is a serious amount of learning available to all in this thread. Some of us are honest folks and try to do business in the best fashion possible, others are dishonest and act on that out of purpose. Then still, there are others who have the full intention of doing something right only to have it derailed for whatever reason, be it personal life, tragedy, or whatever may come to pass.

Good business practice on both sides of the contract are there to ensure that everything happens as it is supposed to. Buyer pays some down so the builder knows the buyer is serious. Builder has to hit deadlines in the contract in order to secure additional funds. Expectation of communication should be built into said contract. No communication, no funds paid. Deadline missed, and the buyer should have an out, just as if the buyer misses a deadline, the builder should have an out. Nothing personal there, just good old protections for everyone involved. The right way to do any business deal, because remember, it isn't personal, it is business.....
ozysteve
Posted 2014-07-14 11:06 PM (#449145 - in reply to #449131)
Subject: Re: car builders.....

Veteran

thank you safetymike77 for your contribution.

58Donnie
Posted 2014-07-16 8:00 AM (#449299 - in reply to #449131)
Subject: RE: car builders.....

Account Suspended

This is directed at me. I have nothing to hide. I also made the following post in the cars for sale add.

I'm not into Drama anymore.
Some facts that are not mentioned are that an agreed portion of the afore mentioned "paid up front" contract money was refunded. I never asked to be paid up front. I was paid because "The exchange rates are good" I have since set a policy that I WILL NOT accept labor payment prior to said labor being finished.

Now all said and done I did make mistakes. Going into this I had never before done a project of this magnitude for anyone besides myself. At the time I had done my own car that brought attention and the next thing I knew I had these projects stacking up. I don't allow that to happen anymore. One large project at a time and no more then two small ones at a time.
I didn't realize the time or the labor that went into it. I set a price of 10K to build this car originally (I wouldn't even look at doing a project like this for that amount now) and as Steve mentioned we ended up with a second car which at that we should have renegotiated and did not. (my fault) There was only verbal communication that since we were starting another car I would have to move forward with other pressing projects.

Next mistake I made that I freely admit is allowing my now ex-wife get into the business. She pressed me to do a lot of smaller jobs for quick money that I did and this pushed the bigger jobs back more and more.
Not long after came the divorce.
This set everything back a long time as I moved, rebuilt a shop, and not the least of which rebuilt a life.

So yes, I did make mistakes. Yes, I have learned from them. I'm terribly sorry Steve isn't happy. I like Steve, always have.
I'm sorry he is out some of his investment. I'm sure most here would agree that it's hard to get your money back out of any of these cars that you build yourself let alone pay someone else to do. especially now with the economy in the tank.

All of this being said, I did all knew how to do in order to make this end as well as it could. I helped set up the large dollar amount sale of the finished interior and rechromed parts to a customer in Canada, I posted in as many locations that I felt would get the greatest return the remainder of the car for sale. It sold. and finally I refunded the agreed amount of the contract money.
If I could have done more to made this end better in this situation I would have.
I'm sorry your not happy Steve. I wish you the best.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)