The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

factory paint?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

fireguyfire
Posted 2014-10-02 11:40 AM (#458016)
Subject: factory paint?

Veteran

Starting to rip into my 56 Regent, and my plan is to remove all sheet metal to the firewall for engine&tranny removal, engine bay repaint and front end rebuild/repaint. My question is, does anyone know how these cars were painted originally on the assembly line? I dont want to "over restore" it.
Things such as were the bumper brackets bolted to the frame before or after painting of the frame (therefore were the bolts left steel, or were they painted with the frame). Any tips regarding the firewall forward including front steering/suspension components and whether they were painted or left bare would be very helpful.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2014-10-02 2:10 PM (#458025 - in reply to #458016)
Subject: Re: factory paint?

You will find there were some minor differences between various Dodge assembly plants as to the order of some procedures. That applies to your car.
The only known attempt to outline the assembly procedures at a given Mopar plant in the Forward Look era is contained in my 1957 Chrysler 300C Handbook. It was written to show "why" some things ended up painted and some not. For example door latch assys were assembled into the doors prior to painting. My caution would be that this applies to '57 Chryslers only which were coming down the Jefferson Ave., Detroit, assy. plant where the Letter Cars were built and is not directly relevant to other cars or other plants.
imopar380
Posted 2014-10-02 3:57 PM (#458033 - in reply to #458025)
Subject: Re: factory paint?

Expert 5K+

The factory did such a lousy job to begin with, I have no problems with going a little overboard on restoration - painting stuff that originally wasn't painted, or even just doing a better job of what they did half-assed. Sometimes they didn't even get the firewall painted all the way down.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)