The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rear Springs & things
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

59 in Calif
Posted 2015-01-16 7:45 PM (#467816)
Subject: Rear Springs & things

Elite Veteran

Hey Guys, I finally caught a break ! I took the rear springs to a spring shop to be checked out. He checked the arch, according to specs they were good. No *hit ! What a surprise ! Iwas really expecting to have to did into my hind pocket again. It was really pretty simple how he checked the arch. He also had those wear pads that go on the end of the 2 center leafs. $10 for 8 of them. I felt like I hit the lotto. He didn't have those other pads that go between the spring and the shock mount pad. Said those things haven't been used in yrs, not to worry about it, mount the springs back up without them. Itook the springs apart and cleaned them and painted each side with Por-15. I got 1 back together and paint is drying on the other. I got the gas tank up couple days ago. That was a bit of a PITA getting that tube lined up again. Last week I coated the underside with that pick-up truck bed liner spray on. It went on kinda thick,and a bit messy to work with, and a bit pricey. But I wanted something to help seal all those places where I welded floor panels back together. Anyway, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Jerry , PS , getting ready to put rear axel up this weekend.

(rear springs 001.jpg)

(rear springs 002.jpg)

(rear springs 003.jpg)

(rear springs 004.jpg)

(rear springs 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rear springs 001.jpg (104KB - 112 downloads)
Attachments rear springs 002.jpg (98KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments rear springs 003.jpg (96KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments rear springs 004.jpg (84KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments rear springs 005.jpg (92KB - 112 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
zrxkawboy
Posted 2015-02-23 11:33 PM (#470781 - in reply to #467816)
Subject: Re: Rear Springs & things

Veteran

Looks good!
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2015-02-24 3:09 AM (#470786 - in reply to #467816)

Expert

The bedliner looks good for protection.
But what kind of car are we talking about here?
Just 4 leafs per springpack seems awfully weak to me.
Were your springs sagging?

I would add at at least 2 leafs per side for a better ride quality.
d500neil
Posted 2015-02-24 4:50 AM (#470788 - in reply to #470786)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Jerry needs, at least, the final bottom half-leaf, in the spring stack, to get to 4 1/2 leafs, total.

The standard-production, for the passenger leaf spring assemblies, was 4 1/2 ("5") leaf springs.

Big M should have lots of available donor-spring leafs and/or complete spring-sets, in his yard.

A custom-made-up set of leaf springs is also an easy project, for Big M to create for a customer's personalized needs (5-full leafs, or even a complete set from off of a station wagon, to get up to 5 1/2 leafs: "6" leafs,
in total....)

Mix and match various leafs, to dial in the rear end's required stiffness.

Station wagon leafs are considerably stiffer than are passenger-car springs (got pics to prove that fact, too).

And, adding an extra spring-clamp to the stack will also significantly increase the rear end's stiffness.

My ride has 5-full leafs, but the bottom/shortest two leafs are from a 1962 Chrysler wagon, and they are
somewhat thicker than the other leafs that are in my car's stack.

The car's rear-end-ride is considerably stiffened, as a result.

If you retain your car's longest (weakest-) leaf spring, you are assured that any shorter/stiffer leafs
that you add to the stack, will fit to the OEM rear-spring suspension.

If you look closely, you'll see the 5-full leafs, and the thicker (station wagon-) bottom-2 leafs on
the stack, and with the shortest-leaf being a 'full' leaf, not a half-leaf.

Edited by d500neil 2015-02-24 5:41 AM

(PICT0831.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PICT0831.JPG (102KB - 111 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)