The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'59 DODGE CORONET WILL ONLY REVERSE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Thompson
Posted 2014-10-11 5:54 PM (#458866)
Subject: '59 DODGE CORONET WILL ONLY REVERSE

I have a 1959 Dodge Coronet with push button transmission.. it is completely locking up when in drive -- it will only reverse. The front wheels don't move at all when in drive.
Any clues as to what may be causing this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rmc1946
Posted 2014-10-11 6:29 PM (#458876 - in reply to #458866)
Subject: RE: '59 DODGE CORONET WILL ONLY REVERSE

Regular

Will it move when you put it into low?
Thompson
Posted 2014-10-11 6:33 PM (#458877 - in reply to #458866)
Subject: Re: '59 DODGE CORONET WILL ONLY REVERSE

No, I tried it in low, & drive.. it will only move in reverse. The tires lock up completely in drive. I've only had the car for a week.. not sure if this pertains, but I was told new drum brakes were put on right before I bought it
desotogeorge
Posted 2014-10-11 8:06 PM (#458880 - in reply to #458866)
Subject: RE: '59 DODGE CORONET WILL ONLY REVERSE

Veteran

Hello, it can be the transmission, I have had it happen on a 59 Dodge, but it is more likely the brakes. The Total Contact brakes slide when applyed going forward, so they are not grabing in reverse but sliding and locling up going forward.
It could be a number of thing causing it, most common is oil on the shoes, but it sounds like you need to jack up each wheel to check, George.
jimntempe
Posted 2014-10-11 9:19 PM (#458895 - in reply to #458866)

Expert

I've also heard high humidity/wet shoes will cause this. It happened once on my car after a rainstorm (I hadn't driven in the storm, it just made the humidity very high). I spoke to the prior owner and he said the same thing had happened to him several times. He said he got to the point where he always backed the car into his garage because it always locked up when he was backing out. Same happened to me, I thought for a while I was not going to be able to get the car out. After that one time it's never done it to me again. I wonder if shoes that are adjusted a little on the loose side have less of a problem with this.
ronbo97
Posted 2014-10-12 1:14 AM (#458904 - in reply to #458895)

Expert

Assuming that it's brake related, I think someone put shoes on with linings that are too thick. Linings are supposed to be 3/16. Many relined shoes come thru with 1/4 " lining, which may cause them to lock up. It's worth pulling the drums to verify. If this is the problem, you may have some trouble getting the drums off.

Ron

Rebels-59
Posted 2014-10-12 5:49 AM (#458910 - in reply to #458866)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Well it is clearly the Brakes and Not the transmission mate, Cos you say it is the Front Brakes that are locking, Do as Ronbo says,,, You could back the front brake adjusters right off first to see if this allows you to move the Dodge forward, But you are gonna have to pull those front drums anyway .. If the Dodge moves forward after backing off the adjusters, try jabbing the brakes a few times whilst going forward, as this may free things up , mine did the same on one front whell after being stored for more than a month, and it would always be OK after a couple of Jabs, I did eventually have the drums turned and cleaned the front shoes, so i no longer ever have the problem now..

Clive
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)