The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 Plymouth Powerflite Rear Seal cut groove
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Stevie Exit
Posted 2013-04-13 9:20 AM (#369426)
Subject: 1955 Plymouth Powerflite Rear Seal cut groove

I had another rear transmission seal put in my '55 Plymouth, which has leaked pretty much consistently for decades. The transmission shop informed me that they could not fix the leak due to a groove cut by the old seal, and they didn't have a way to fix that. I've seen that there are sleeves to repair such problems, but have no idea where to find the correct sleeve. Any suggestions? I would like to start driving it again, but the parking brake keeps grabbing while driving due to the oil soaking everything. This was first repaired in the late '70s, and the seal has been replaced many times.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mopar1
Posted 2013-04-13 10:41 AM (#369442 - in reply to #369426)
Subject: Re: 1955 Plymouth Powerflite Rear Seal cut groove

Expert

Call Rock Auto, also, maybe..Bernbaum, Roberts Auto Parts. Might be a generic type part like the ones that fit the dampers that fit a lot of things & maybe not...
fin junkie
Posted 2013-04-13 12:15 PM (#369458 - in reply to #369426)
Subject: RE: 1955 Plymouth Powerflite Rear Seal cut groove

Regular

Napa, O'Reilly Auto Parts, and other auto parts stores have what is called a Speedi-sleeve or Redi-sleeve for repairing wear grooves in shafts. Try part number 99156 on the NAPAonline.com website to see what they look like. They are a little pricey, but if it keeps you from having to replace seals it's worth it.
PaulH
Posted 2013-04-13 12:41 PM (#369461 - in reply to #369426)
Subject: RE: 1955 Plymouth Powerflite Rear Seal cut groove

Regular

Stevie Exit;

I had a persistant pinion seal leak on a '60 Dart rear, and I was able to position a new seal in a slightly different place in the housing so the wearing surface was not in the groove. When you put the new seal in, just don't drive it all the way 'home'. You will need to look carefully at how much room you have there; you won't want the hub of your drum to contact the seal. Measure carefully and it should work. It worked for me. Did the same with a pitman arm seal, as well.

Paul H
wizard
Posted 2013-04-13 3:24 PM (#369481 - in reply to #369426)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Try to check industrial lip seals. Sometimes we use double lip seals - the two lips is normally in other position than the cut groove in the shaft.
Stevie Exit
Posted 2015-01-04 1:03 PM (#466657 - in reply to #369461)

Here it is two years later, and I'm finally around to fixing this. I have a couple of questions hopefully some of you can answer.
1. The brake shoes are anchored at the top, but can move around at the bottom. So during normal operation, it looks like the brake shoe would shift and contact the drum. Probably not a problem if there is no oil on the brake shoes, but it looks to me that it would be an unnecessary source of friction. There is a brake support grease shield spring that keeps things centered, but it doesn't take much to move the shoes at the bottom. (See diagram at link)
2. The transmission flange washer and shake proof washer, used to hold the drum on, were missing. Is this just a regular washer and locknut?
3. There is a neoprene seal on the backing plate called the brake support. Can I just add RTV to make this fit tightly again? The support plate moves quite a bit due to the looseness of the seal. Thanks!

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/stevie_exit/55plymouthparki...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)