The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why Carter fuel pumps leak oil
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

300XMAN
Posted 2014-12-22 5:45 PM (#465558)
Subject: Why Carter fuel pumps leak oil

Regular

Hi everyone,

Years ago, my father and I had the original Carter fuel pump from our 1956 300B sent out and rebuilt by a reputable shop. The pump came back, we installed it and started noticing an oil spray up on the inside of the hood. Initially stumped, we eventually figured out what was wrong. We pulled the fuel pump off the engine and took it apart. Upon examination, we found the culprit--the vendor did not replace the oil seal when he rebuilt the pump. We ordered a fresh kit from the Antique Auto Parts Cellar, rebuilt the fuel pump and reinstalled it. This second rebuild solved the problem of oil leaking from the pump when the engine was running. Since then, my father and I have followed this procedure for every fuel pump that needs rebuilding. We do it for ourselves and our customers. Sometimes, people believe the problem involves the diaphragm, but it actually is a bad oil seal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)