The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1962 413 carburetor issue
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Ev's62Chrysler
Posted 2015-10-20 8:06 PM (#492779)
Subject: 1962 413 carburetor issue

Veteran

Hi all,

I'm new here. I recently acquired my great uncle's 1962 New Yorker 9 passenger wagon. It was restored back in the late 80s or early 90s and is in really nice condition, but unfortunately it's been sitting for close to 20 years best I can figure without having been run. My dad and I traveled to his home state in August to pick it up, and I've been tinkering with it since. My brother-in-law has a 57 Dodge Coronet and suggested I check out this site, and I must agree, there's a lot of good info here.

In preparation to getting it running here's what I did: changed oil/filter, added Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders as a precaution (small amount), primed oil pump, points, plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, rebuilt the Carter AFB carb, etc. I also disconnected the fuel line from tank and am running off a small container (~12 ounces max) mounted high up adjacent radiator.

The first problem is that it took forever to get it to fire. Then, it runs extremely rich (belches lots of black smoke), and sucks down the 4-6oz of gas I put in at a time very quickly. For the last 5 seconds or so of remaining fuel however, it smooths out and runs fantastic (and no smoke). The only thing I can think of is the carb floats are too high. I was extremely careful setting them per spec (7/32" to top of carb), but looking at photos I took during disassembly, they were previously set much lower. The other difference is the accelerator pump plunger in the rebuild kit (and one I ordered separately thinking it was incorrect) is ~3/16" shorter than the one that came out of the carb. Originally the accelerator rod was connected to the pump lever in the outer most hole using the longer plunger, but with the plunger in the kit, it says to use the middle hole, which I believe to be correct. Regardless of the plunger, I believe my problem lies in the float setting. Before buttoning up the carb again, anyone have other thoughts? I'm pretty good with engines and don't believe there's timing or other electrical issue, especially considering how well it runs during the last few seconds before running out of fuel.

About the carb:
It is correct for the car, and I believe it's likely original. It was gummed up a bit, and the rear butterflies were stuck shut. I've successfully rebuilt several carbs in the past, just never a Carter. I still have the other needles/seats I could swap back, but there are no obvious signs the new ones are bad. This last time I pulled the carb off the engine I purposely left fuel in it to check the level. After pulling the top off, the fuel level in the right side was .885" down from the top edge, and the left side was down level with the gap between the main fuel chamber and where the plunger resides (1"). This is obviously without the floats (which aren't leaking by the way) raising the level. Does this tell me anything in terms of float level?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Robert

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ev's62Chrysler
Posted 2015-10-20 9:24 PM (#492787 - in reply to #492779)
Subject: Re: 1962 413 carburetor issue

Veteran

Of course only minutes after submitting this I've found the error - wrong top gasket! Kit came with 2. The one that lines up better with the front of the carb has less material to seal properly along the rear, and of course is the one I used. It allows incoming fuel to fill both bowls even if needles are seated. Maybe this will help someone else out.

Robert
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)