The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

guyman
Posted 2014-05-06 8:26 PM (#439648)
Subject: Starter help

Extreme Veteran

Have a 318 Poly 1960 motor., just broke it in the other night and went back out to start it today.

Think the starter is Kaput....see picture., Think the starter gears are suppose to engage to start the car., then retract after it's started.

Plus my starter cylinoid is getting hot probably from current feedback from the starter.

Not too familiar with these poly motors, so all new to me...see picture please and advise

Thanks., Guyman

(20140506_165943.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20140506_165943.jpg (22KB - 113 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Snit
Posted 2015-03-03 2:12 PM (#471521 - in reply to #439648)
Subject: Re: Starter help

This is an old thread but I'm treding into these waters as well.

The starter clutch on the start drive gear (the thing that is stuck forward) slides up a threaded shaft on a driving lug (inertia driven). When it engages it locks into place via a spring loaded pin (x2) and locks into place by a void in the threaded shaft. This is actually where my confusion starts. I have no idea how the pin retracts and allows the driving lug to return to the retracted position.

I ended up rotating the spring loaded lug out of the path of the void in the threads, it starts but sounds weird as it instantly retracts and spins on the saw tooth gear at the base of the retracted position.

The next day I have odd sounds coming from the transmission.

I'm pulling the starter tonight and rebuilding it correctly, but I still have no idea how the pins retract to allow the assembly to go back into position.

Can anyone enlighten us?
Snit
Posted 2015-03-03 3:31 PM (#471528 - in reply to #439648)

http://www.autocorner.ca/pages/starterdrive.html

Aha! got it now. BENDIX FOLO-THRU drive type engagement is what we have on these early starters. Engine speeds up to 400 rpm will cause the pins that lock the gear up to retract via centrifugal force.

Makes sense now, however do you instal the starter with the gear in the engaged position?
ttotired
Posted 2015-03-03 5:22 PM (#471539 - in reply to #439648)

Expert 5K+

You jut put it in

If your really worried, you can jam the pinion into a wire buffing wheel and normally spin the shaft fast enough to make it retract, but its not necessary

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)