The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Rear Window"- moulding
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

kcevans
Posted 2015-07-01 6:04 PM (#483348)
Subject: "Rear Window"- moulding

Very frustrating! However before my garage turns into Hitch**** movie scene- I thought I would throw out a lifeline-

Painted my 61 300G- and now going for the reassembly- one thing should be noted is that I did not remove the rear window ( or the front windshield either )

Having a heck of a time installing the rear window trim moulding , in particular the side and top piece - this consists of two pieces that are joined at the top by a connecting piece-

It seems that the piece clips onto the body by slipping behind the clip embedded into the rear window gasket- however my problem is that some points will not catch and cause the moulding to lift . As also at the connection point there seems to be no clip- can some one tell me if that is correct , it sure would help if there was one to hold the whole thing down.

Thanks in advance
CAsey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ttotired
Posted 2015-07-01 6:16 PM (#483349 - in reply to #483348)
Subject: Re: "Rear Window"- moulding

Expert 5K+

Casey, Not sure if its a coupe or sedan, but those clips should have 3 fingers and if they are any good, should hold the trim tightly

The trim should sort of weave through the 3 fingers

All of tho ones on my dodge were rusty and weak, so my trim is held on with black seam sealer generously applied in sections under the trim

I will say though, I wasnt generous enough on the center bit as its popped back up and I have to do that part again

If you want to change the clips (if you can find new ones), the back window has to come out because the clips go over the window lip and there is a difference between the upper and lower clips (I didnt know that until I put mine together)

FIN ME
Posted 2015-07-03 10:18 AM (#483516 - in reply to #483348)
Subject: Re: "Rear Window"- moulding

Expert

Had the same problem installing the roof and windshield trim onto my car, especially when it came to the rear windshield. I chose to not remove the windshields during the car's resto. The weather stripping around the rear windshield had shrunk and dried up over the years, and that seemed to be the main issue that caused the problems; it kind of pulled the fit of the trim out of its desired geometry. But with a lot of clips (whatever would work and fit), seam sealer, and an even larger amount of double sided tape, the parts finally came together. They do not fit together perfectly, but they don't look bad at all considering the age of the car, and the likelihood that they never did fit perfectly even when the car was new.

Not sure if you sent your car to the blockers during your resto, but I sent mine, and although the car was pretty darn straight, the roof was the most "warped" part of the car, so I'm sure straightening it out a tad didn't exactly help when it came to the reinstallation of the roof and windshield trim pieces.

Best of luck getting your car's trim reinstalled. It will likely be a most time-consuming task, but worth the effort.

kcevans
Posted 2015-07-03 11:59 AM (#483526 - in reply to #483348)
Subject: RE: "Rear Window"- moulding

Thanks for responses- I have done the body and paint my self- I wasn't sure how the moulding fitted to the clip- to clarify it weaves between the three prongs of the clip - Great I will try that- I assumed that is pressed in behind the middle prong against the body side of the clip- Sounds kind of confusing to me as I write this- but I will try the weaving method- Thanks you.

I would suggest to anyone reading this to really try and avoid taking the upper moulding off the car for painting- it sure seems like a one shot deal- Its not ideal but for a paint job it is possible to polish the stainless on the car and really mask the portion of the moulding-

It will update and try and take pictures soon
Thanks Casey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)