The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

61 Belvy Turn Signals
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Forgotten 61
Posted 2015-08-08 11:22 PM (#486594)
Subject: 61 Belvy Turn Signals

Veteran

Hi it's me again. yes, I'm still working on the oil pump prob. but I have a question about the turn signals and dash lights. I have headlights, tail lights when I pull the switch, but no dash lights(rheostat), and no turn sigs. In previous threads everyone has been helpful in getting me to fix a lot electrical issues.. I'm in need of your collective knowledge. Is there something I'm overlooking ? Thanks. Phil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d500neil
Posted 2015-08-09 12:30 AM (#486598 - in reply to #486594)
Subject: Re: 61 Belvy Turn Signals

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Phil, do the dashboard lights function at all....do they go on-and-off, completely, but do not change their
illuminosity RATE..... very much.... or do they just stay 'off', and/or do they merely not greatly change their
illumination???

Sounds like the headlight switch needs to be removed and its internal electrical contacts/connections be cleaned and
lubed and re-adjusted so that its electrical connections are fully re-established, inside the switch.

The no-turn-signals, at all, may be nothing more than one or both of the under-dash wiring leads, at/to the
behind-the-dash, silver-alloy "turn signal flasher" unit......being disconnected....or, the flasher unit may be defective
in its operation.

Forgotten 61
Posted 2015-08-11 9:35 PM (#486884 - in reply to #486594)
Subject: RE: 61 Belvy Turn Signals

Veteran

Pull the switch on, and I have head lights, high beams, and tail lights. No parking lights and no dash lights at all. Twisting the switch for dash illumination does nothing either. where are these flashers and other connections you mentioned ?
jimntempe
Posted 2015-08-11 9:54 PM (#486886 - in reply to #486594)

Expert

Not sure about the 61's but on the my 60 dodge the front parking lights do not come on with the headlights. They are only on when the Headlight switch is in "Parking light" position, the first click. The headlights are the second click. The rear parking lights come on in both positions. So check that and if the fronts come on in position 1 then most likely the only thing wrong with your headlight switch is that the rheostat for the dash lights is burned out. The prior owner of my car disconnected the dash lights from the rheostat and just hooked them up to come on with the rear parking lights because he was tired of the rheostat burning out and having to replace the headlight switch.
Forgotten 61
Posted 2015-08-12 10:08 AM (#486919 - in reply to #486594)

Veteran

It's beginning to look like I should start trying to locate a new headlight switch, as that is what everyone seems to mention. I'm still learning about the wiring in this car, and it's been quite an experience. I DO like the idea of tying in the dash lights to the tails, although I'm quite sure how to go about that.
ABloch
Posted 2015-08-12 6:01 PM (#486961 - in reply to #486594)

Expert

I've got a couple of questions for you Forgotten61. Do you have a shop manual or a wiring diagram to follow? Do you have a voltage tester? Both of these will help you immensely in your diagnosing what is going on. Which will also help us understand what is going on so we can make suggestions.

The flasher unit should be located between the radio and the steering column under the dash. About the size of a jumbo marshmallow and aluminum in color. Check for power there, key on, signal actuated. If there is power replace the flasher and try again. If there is no power there then it is time to start working your way through the wiring of the signals to see where the power is being lost. A lot of the time the problem can be found in the actuator, located in the steering column behind the horn ring assembly. You can do most of your testing through the junction where the wires come out of the column, under the dash.

About the dash lights. Were they working before and now they don't or have they not worked since you've had the car? Does the dome light come on when the headlight switch is turned all the way up? If the dome light works then the rheostat coil could be excessively tarnished. The tester would come in handy to see if the dash sockets are getting power. Could it be that all the dash bulbs have burned out? As d500neil suggested a through cleaning of the switch could solve your problem. Then again having a spare on hand to replace the one you are about to pull out might be a good idea.

Andrew
Forgotten 61
Posted 2015-08-14 1:06 AM (#487095 - in reply to #486594)

Veteran

Hi ABloch, yes I have a manual with wiring schematics, and a volt tester(test light) and have been using them extensively. The car has been sitting untouched in a barn since it was parked in 1971. NO lights worked when I got the car, and I've been slowly repairing rodent damage ever since. (more about that in another thread here)
The dome light doesn't work when turning up the rheostat. doesn't go on when the doors are opened either so I'm thinking bulb, but haven't looked at it yet.
after reading jimntempe's suggestion above I realized that my car worked the same as his. first click, parking lights on, second click, parking lights off head lights on. I just learned something new about my car. thanks jimntempe. The park lights don't work, but at least they have power so bulbs are the first order of business.
The license plate light now works. (bulb) so I think that, with luck the majority of the trouble will be minor.
Thanks for all your suggestions, I needed a starting point for this next journey. I will keep you posted.
Thanks, Phil.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)